Bangalore - Tirupati - Chennai and Back.

Thread Starter #1
I plan to do a "Bangalore-Tirupati-Chennai & back" week long trip most likely sometime in Summer. So obviously I will take the old madras NH4 road.

Few questions for anybody who can help:

1. How is the old madras road NH4 highway condition these days?
2. Is summer time advisable to visit Chennai due to the heat?
3. What are the good places to visit these days in Chennai? I have visited a long time back & don't remember much.
4. Good budget/3-star hotels to stay in Chennai any suggestions?.
5. Nearby places to visit? Beaches, Mahabalipuram anything else?
6. Any other tips or pointers would be great!

Thanks in advance.

1. Old Madras Road is good and four lane until Mulbagal, if I'm not wrong. Tolls are started operating. From Chitoor to Tirupati again the roads are fantastic.
2. Its humid during summer. You need lot of fluid to sustain the heat. But it is manageable.
3. Beaches - Marina, Besant Nagar (Sun rise or at night). Mahabalipuram - Architecture, Pondicherry - French Clony + Beaches + Aravind Ashram + cheap liquors.
4. Many - depends on area where you are planning.
5. Pondicherry, Mahabalipuram
6. It will be hot in Chennai during summer. Carry so much of water with you. Metro construction were happening inside city but traffic will be moving unlike Bangalore. Try to stay inside during day time. Evening Beaches will be crowded and you can enjoy cool breeze.

Cheers,
Ram

1. Old Madras Road is good and four lane until Mulbagal, if I'm not wrong. Tolls are started operating. From Chitoor to Tirupati again the roads are fantastic.
Cheers,
Ram
Route is perfectly correct. There is some 10 km or so work-in-progress condition road on which you will be slowed down. Beyond that, the roads are again good.

Please look out for some unmarked bumps before Palamener, especially, when the roads get very curvy, you would even notice these bumps.

Thread Starter #4
^^Thanks.. By the way just curious, does anybody know if the KSRTC govt buses & private buses to Chennai from Bangalore take this same route or do they go by the new NH7 route to chennai these days?

Thread Starter #5
I would not recommend the old madras road route for travel between Bangalore & Chennai. Of course for Tirupati this route is the only option.

Downsides:
Getting stuck at KR Puram yard area after the hanging bridge.
Road is quite old after the Lanco expressway.

Only good streches are Lanco road & NH205 which is 50%. Rest is just single lane.

Top Bottom