Kalady from Vaikom

Thread Starter #1
Vaikom to Kalady

The regular route suggested is:

Vaikom - Thiruvankulam - Vengola - Perumbavoor (via MC Road) - Kalady

Some people say the bridge on MC road might turn a nightmare as it might take an hour to cross during late morning afternoon and evening time, for which they suggest an alternative route which is

Vaikom - Thiruvankulam -Vengola - Marampally - Kanjoor - Kalady

Could someone tell me which is the best route to reach Kalady from Vaikom

Kr,
Sudhan

HM@
I am living very near to kalady.

I didn't traveled on the alternate route you mentioned so i cant tell which is better route.

regarding route 1, You have to face the heavy traffic is not only in Kalady bridge, but from Perumbavoor also. It is worst on Saturdays.

Where you want to go exactly? If you dont want to enter MC Road, then the route no 2 is best i think. But i have no idea about the thiruvankulam-Kanjoor road.

the other options available,
you can come to Kakkanad through Seaport-Airport road then Kalamassery-Aluva-Athani-Airport-Mattor_Kalady.

Vaikom to Kalady

The regular route suggested is:

Vaikom - Thiruvankulam - Vengola - Perumbavoor (via MC Road) - Kalady

Some people say the bridge on MC road might turn a nightmare as it might take an hour to cross during late morning afternoon and evening time, for which they suggest an alternative route which is

Vaikom - Thiruvankulam -Vengola - Marampally - Kanjoor - Kalady

Could someone tell me which is the best route to reach Kalady from Vaikom

Kr,
Sudhan
Wat about below route ?

Vaikom - Nadakkavu - Mulanthuruthy- chottanikkara -vandipetta -choondi -PBVR-Kaladi

one more alternative

Vaikom - Nadakkavu - Mulanthuruthy- thiruvaniyoor-choondi -PBVR-Kaladi

Thread Starter #6
@hatchback - I plan to leave Vaikom after lunch around 2 and reach Kalady by 4 pm.
According to different threads which I have read and Google maps the distance Vaikom - Thiruvankulam - Vengola - Perumbavoor (via MC Road) - Kalady is shown as 70 kms and takes about 2 hours to reach.

Did you mean that it will take 45 mins for me to cross the bridge which is 5 kms if I travel between 4pm to 9 pm ?

HM@
it never take 45 minutes to cross Kalady bridge or to Adi sankara Stoopam. At the maximum 5 minutes to reach there from the bridge which is a distance of 0.5km. Dont worry, if the perumbavoor route is the shortest, take it blindly.

Recently I was in a ksrtc bus and it took 1.5 hrs from kalady to vallom. There are lot of np lorries to the rice mills. usually ambulances from pbvr to ankamali lf will take the route pbvr-marampilly-kalady. The road is ok. no need to waste even 5 mrs in thag route

have experienced myself. 1hour or more was the time taken to cross during the evenings. may not be true in present days. but the traffic in the perumbavur-angamaly stretch is multifold compared to earlier times.
the route towards perumbavoor are all in bad conditions. yesterday, I passed through Vengola to reach Marampally, there was works going on and wasted some 10-15 minutes at Vengola Junction due to traffic piling up in all directions. also, Pukkattupady-Perumbavoor road will be almost always in bad condition with Taurus/Tippers and long distance buses driven badly. in general every road in between perumbavoor and NH 49(south) is bad. including infopark karimugal road. kakkanad-kizhakkambalam road etc.
you can come to Kakkanad through Seaport-Airport road then Kalamassery-Aluva-Athani-Airport-Mattor_Kalady.
is the straight option to reach from Vaikom.

from Vaikom, another option may be to take Thrippunithura-seaport airport road to reach HMT and take right turn(ask for the route to choondy) to NAD road to reach Choondy in Aluva-Vazhakulam-Perumbavoor private bus road which is rubberized highway(macadam laid) in good condition. at Vazhakulam( ask for Marampally road). the road to Marampally is narrow but not in very bad condition and it is some 3kms or so.
take left at Vazhakkulam and reach Marampally(KSRTC route from Perumbavur to Aluva). from Marampally take a right turn and go northwards for Sri Sankara Bridge-Kanjoor-Kalady.
this will be a good option considering few stretchs are narrow like Vazhakulam-Marampally road and Marampally-Kaladi. always stop and ask for direction while going through circuit roads like shown in Google map as one can easily lost way if not asked at junctions:
http://goo.gl/maps/rhe5n

Last edited:
Recently I was in a ksrtc bus and it took 1.5 hrs from kalady to vallom. There are lot of np lorries to the rice mills. usually ambulances from pbvr to ankamali lf will take the route pbvr-marampilly-kalady. The road is ok. no need to waste even 5 mrs in thag route
It is right.Heavy vehicles will take more time because the road is two line only and they cant overtake like cars. Due to sabarimala season, traffic increased in these days.
My suggestion is not to travel from perumbavoor-kalady-angamaly route on saturdays.traffic will be worst.

there is a report today on Mathrubhumi that long distance Sabarimala yatris are using hill highways avoiding MC road. like bodimettu,kumily, cumbum-medu etc so as to bypass chaotic NH47 and MC road traffic.

Thread Starter #12
I finished the travel and a quick update. I did travel in the Perumbavoor-Thanipuzha-Kalady (via MC Road), it took about 20 mins for me to cross the 1.5 kms strech between Thanipuzha to Junction near Kalady Town. But all in all the route from Vaikom to Kalady was good !

Top Bottom