Itinerary Help For Sikkim - Darjeeling Trip

Thread Starter #1
Basically I live in Mumbai and will Travelling from Mumbai to Sikkim by flight and Return most probably by Rail still unsure since it takes quite a lot of time for Rail.
I have created a rough itinerary based on online search. I request Travel experts to analyse the same and give their comments and add or delete places!!

Ofcourse any Hotel accomodation reviews and Taxi Driver contacts are most welcome [:)]

Day 1:board flight from Mumbai airport to land at Bagdogra airport via Delhi airport.

After landing proceed to Darjeeling

Day 2: Darjeeling
visit Tiger Hill, Battasey loop, Zoological Park, Tea Gardens , Tensingh Rock, Peace Pagoda, Japanese Temple, Ava Art Gallery and Rock Garden

Day 03 : Darjeeling - Pelling

Day 04 : Pelling
Visit Rimbi falls, Sewaro Rock Garden, Kanchanjunga Waterfall, Khecheopalri Lake and Penyang Monastery

Day 05 : Pelling - Kalimpong - Gangtok
visit Mangaldham Temple which is on the way, Cactus Nursery, and Zang Dog Palri Fo-Brang Monastery. Arrive in Gangtok in the evening.

Day 06 : Gangtok
Visit Ranka Monastery and Banjhakri waterfall. , Tashi View Point, Ganesh Mandir, Hanuman Tok, Rope Way Ride , Flower exhibition show, , Dordul Chorten Stupa and Tibetology.

Day 07 : Gangtok - Lachung
visit seven sisters waterfall on the way.

Day 08 : Lachung - Yumthang Valley - Lachung
Proceed to Yumthang valley, Visit the Zero Point at Yumthang.

Day 09 : Lachung - Gangtok

Day 10 : Gangtok - Tsomgo Lake - Gangtok
Visit Tsomgo lake, Baba Harbhajan Singh Mandir, Chardham Temple and Sampdruptse Stupa at Namachi village

Day 11: Board flight from Bagdogra to Mumbai

Re: Itinerary help for sikkim darjeeling trip

Just a request. If it is possible for you, first visit Sikkim and all the places at your convenience and leisure and then come back to visit Darjeeling. Please insist the driver of your car to take Peshok Road (I guess he will naturally do so, as it is also the shortest route) from Teesta Bazar. If it does not inconvenience you and you like driving personally, please grab the front seat beside the driver for a better view in this stretch. I am asking because on the reverse direction the road is totally going downhill, so hardly any tractive effort from your car and you may miss the charm.

IMHO the only road in these areas which has a steeper climb than this route is the road to Sandhakphu (Now that Pankhabari road is closed by the authorities for uphill traffic after some accidents, mostly caused by inexperienced or armature drivers but I always guess that this road is slightly steeper) but it is always recommended to use a 4WD/AWD vehicle while visiting Sandhakphu.[rules] I guess it may not inconvenience you much, as both New Jalpaiguri railway station or Bagdogra airport is closer from Darjeeling (as compared to Gangtok).

Wish you a happy journey. [cheers]

Last edited:
Basically I live in Mumbai and will Travelling from Mumbai to Sikkim by flight and Return most probably by Rail still unsure since it takes quite a lot of time for Rail.
I have created a rough itinerary based on online search. I request Travel experts to analyse the same and give their comments and add or delete places!!

Ofcourse any Hotel accomodation reviews and Taxi Driver contacts are most welcome [:)]

Day 1:board flight from Mumbai airport to land at Bagdogra airport via Delhi airport.

After landing proceed to Darjeeling

Day 2: Darjeeling
visit Tiger Hill, Battasey loop, Zoological Park, Tea Gardens , Tensingh Rock, Peace Pagoda, Japanese Temple, Ava Art Gallery and Rock Garden

Day 03 : Darjeeling - Pelling

Day 04 : Pelling
Visit Rimbi falls, Sewaro Rock Garden, Kanchanjunga Waterfall, Khecheopalri Lake and Penyang Monastery

Day 05 : Pelling - Kalimpong - Gangtok
visit Mangaldham Temple which is on the way, Cactus Nursery, and Zang Dog Palri Fo-Brang Monastery. Arrive in Gangtok in the evening.

Day 06 : Gangtok
Visit Ranka Monastery and Banjhakri waterfall. , Tashi View Point, Ganesh Mandir, Hanuman Tok, Rope Way Ride , Flower exhibition show, , Dordul Chorten Stupa and Tibetology.

Day 07 : Gangtok - Lachung
visit seven sisters waterfall on the way.

Day 08 : Lachung - Yumthang Valley - Lachung
Proceed to Yumthang valley, Visit the Zero Point at Yumthang.

Day 09 : Lachung - Gangtok

Day 10 : Gangtok - Tsomgo Lake - Gangtok
Visit Tsomgo lake, Baba Harbhajan Singh Mandir, Chardham Temple and Sampdruptse Stupa at Namachi village

Day 11: Board flight from Bagdogra to Mumbai
The plan is perfect.... One small point.

Pelling - kALIMPONG - Gangtok is a longish drive and not worth it. It will be coming back all the way to Teesta Bazar and take the busy NH 31A. Instead the vehicle can directly go to Gangtok via Ravangla (a beautiful idlic hamlet) and hit NH31A at Singtam. This route which should be a 4/5 hrs one while the other one will be 7/8 hours.

Now you need to decide whether you actually need to visit Kalimpong, because Kalimpong definitely deserves more than a visit. It requires a stay and a tour
around it else if you just want to visit it for some hrs you hardly get to enjoy it. It wont be worth it.

So if your prog is cramped up for further time you can skip Kalimpong. Else while coming down from Gangtok to Baghdogra on the last day you can check Kalimpong which will be a 20km detour each way from the highway to Bagdogra.

Just a request. If it is possible for you, first visit Sikkim and all the places at your convenience and leisure and then come back to visit Darjeeling. Please insist the driver of your car to take Peshok Road (I guess he will naturally do so, as it is also the shortest route) from Teesta Bazar. If it does not inconvenience you and you like driving personally, please grab the front seat beside the driver for a better view in this stretch. I am asking because on the reverse direction the road is totally going downhill, so hardly any tractive effort from your car and you may miss the charm.

IMHO the only road in these areas which has a steeper climb than this route is the road to Sandhakphu (Now that Pankhabari road is closed by the authorities for uphill traffic after some accidents, mostly caused by inexperienced or armature drivers but I always guess that this road is slightly steeper) but it is always recommended to use a 4WD/AWD vehicle while visiting Sandhakphu.[rules] I guess it may not inconvenience you much, as both New Jalpaiguri railway station or Bagdogra airport is closer from Darjeeling (as compared to Gangtok).

Wish you a happy journey. [cheers]
Sandakphu desicussion does not come in the thread as its out of the question and the only sane route from Darjeeling to Pelling is Peshok road.

THere is a shorter road (50k short on mountain roads) which directly reaches Jorethang from Darjeeling via Lebong / Singla Bazar but it is tooooo steep and narrow.

I had gone up this driving my M800 but have sworn never to touch it again. Its through village roads of the tea gardens.

Sorry missed your Day 10 also...

It is not in line. The Chardham temple and Sampdruste are in different directions from Tsongo Lake and Baba Mandir. The Tsongo lake in itself will take more than half the day and a lot of effort.

But if on the way to Gangtok from Pelling you can spare that additional 1/2 hrs you can visit these areas of Chardham and Sampdruste which is basically in Namchi. You can then also visit Temi Tea Garden on the way.

Top Bottom