The North-Eastern Trip

Thread Starter #1
Mates i would like to start a trip plan to the north eastern states and Bhutan in 2014. it would be a three week trip. kindly help me in planning it. friends from the north east- please provide us with the states that can be explored, the time to be allocated for each state, the places that must be visited, the places that can be skipped, the routes to be taken and any info that would be needed.

Re: The north- east trip

Mates i would like to start a trip plan to the north eastern states and Bhutan in 2014. it would be a three week trip. kindly help me in planning it. friends from the north east- please provide us with the states that can be explored, the time to be allocated for each state, the places that must be visited, the places that can be skipped, the routes to be taken and any info that would be needed.
@SR

Have you finalized the dates?

Our member rahul4640 has given this link of HVK's road trip to Bhutan and North Eastern states, found very interesting though its an old travelogue. The formalities to travel to Bhutan remains unchanged I think. The road conditions and other political issues have to be taken into consideration and ideally an update is required just before the travel.

https://sites.google.com/site/hvkumar/kumar'snortheastdrivingholiday8

Smooth Rider, Good that you started the thread.. I was thinking of doing it myself.

If you are looking into Sikkim, Darjeeling, Bhutan, Arunachal, Assam that initself should take up your time.

Have been / driven to all these places and can tell you they are awesome, and will match road for road your Ladakh experience.

Check on ADC's TL as he has also done amazing journeys here

Last edited:

The Bolero will be the better bet as roads in NE can be as tricky as Ladakh...
@Chandranath

Advice me, which part of region is having bad stretch and GC will be an issue? Do you think Octavia will also face the same problem?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7

ramji its going to be may. the exact date we will decide. it will be bolero. the first hurdle has cropped up- wifey- " daughter is going into 10th std so she will have classes in may " will have to go in for the pre ladakh tour brain washing by showing her the beautiful t logs of the north east.[;)]
chandra where is ADC's t log of the north east ? there is a t log of dr. afzal in BCM touring which could be our template for the plan.7000 km. in 17 days...... road trip to northeast india in my fortuner. - BCMTouring

ramji its going to be may. the exact date we will decide. it will be bolero. the first hurdle has cropped up- wifey- " daughter is going into 10th std so she will have classes in may " will have to go in for the pre ladakh tour brain washing by showing her the beautiful t logs of the north east.[;)]
chandra where is ADC's t log of the north east ? there is a t log of dr. afzal in BCM touring which could be our template for the plan.7000 km. in 17 days...... road trip to northeast india in my fortuner. - BCMTouring
That's fine SR

I am also working out and any way there is enough time.

I am just seeing the TL link, the geographical features of Sikkim is more or less like southern hill ranges. Thanks for the link.

Thread Starter #9
so it will be sikkim, bhutan, arunachal pradesh,assam, darjeeling and of course 2 days in calcutta.( i have never visited calcutta ). the rest of the place in another trip,

Match this Travelogue with any of Ladakh Spiti Keylong Travelogues and you will be mersmerised by ADC's tenacity. Make your wife read this one and she will be spellbound that this sort of a terrain exists in India.

http://www.********.com/forum/trave...-arunachal-exploratory-expedition-2012-a.html

@Chandranath

Advice me, which part of region is having bad stretch and GC will be an issue? Do you think Octavia will also face the same problem?
I never said GC will be an issue. Just wanted to say that when you have a Mahindra as an option why think of anything else on those challenges. Point is if you are careful then any car will take on Leh / Ladakh. You dont need a mahindra. But if you have one then it would be foolish to drive around with another car in these challenges while your Mahindra cools its heels (tyres) back home.

AND YES.... As planned all of you keep at least 2 days at your disposal for Kolkata... We the members out here will freak out and also have you meet ADC (Rahul4640's help required) in our favourite China Town Joint

Last edited:
Match this Travelogue with any of Ladakh Spiti Keylong Travelogues and you will be mersmerised by ADC's tenacity. Make your wife read this one and she will be spellbound that this sort of a terrain exists in India.

http://www.********.com/forum/trave...-arunachal-exploratory-expedition-2012-a.html

I never said GC will be an issue. Just wanted to say that when you have a Mahindra as an option why think of anything else on those challenges. Point is if you are careful then any car will take on Leh / Ladakh. You dont need a mahindra. But if you have one then it would be foolish to drive around with another car in these challenges while your Mahindra cools its heels (tyres) back home.

AND YES.... As planned all of you keep at least 2 days at your disposal for Kolkata... We the members out here will freak out and also have you meet ADC (Rahul4640's help required) in our favourite China Town Joint
Thank you Chandranath

That's really great of an information. Now I have the confidence to take my car. Since I am driving this car for many years I am almost through with its complete behavior in all terrains. And basically every service I do it at SASS, and they advice me to change the suspicious parts in advance and I do it, that's definitely adds more confidence. Rest everything I leave it to the God.

I am working out whether I can plan the trip with SR.

Great to see that you are planning to explore my native region [clap]. I can see you planning for the trip during May. I think i will also visit my native during May.

so it will be sikkim, bhutan, arunachal pradesh,assam, darjeeling and of course 2 days in calcutta.( i have never visited calcutta ). the rest of the place in another trip,
One important place is missing from the above list. "Meghalaya" a very very beautiful place. IMO you should not miss this state. The entire state is full of mountains, greenery, marvelous view points.

Great to see that you are planning to explore my native region [clap]. I can see you planning for the trip during May. I think i will also visit my native during May.

One important place is missing from the above list. "Meghalaya" a very very beautiful place. IMO you should not miss this state. The entire state is full of mountains, greenery, marvelous view points.
Sorry missed out Meghalaya. Actually I took it for granted as a must visit place along with Guwahati.

Shillong and more importantly Cherrapunjee and Mawsynram (Hope I have spelt it correctly) are awesome in the monsoons. The clouds and the water falls are mindblowing. Even Umiyam Lake should be a fantastic view.

The drive between Shillong and Cherra is one of the most visually pleasing ones which I have done and is supposedly comparable with Scotland. You can also see the plains of Bangladesh from Cherrapunjee and your mobile tends to accidentally catch the local signals out there.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
the list of places to see is getting longer but we only have 3 weeks time. and we have to get there from down here. the seven sister states of north east are all to be seen but we don't have that much time to spare.

Top Bottom