Planning To Cover Bangalore - Goa - Manipal - Kovalam - Bangalore

Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends,

I have made a tentative backup plan during Diwali if we do not able to go home town.

This would be around 10 days plan :

minus Day1 (Night) - Start on evening from Bangalore and head towards Goa.

Day 1- Reach Goa and check in good hotel.

Day 4- Early morning start from Goa towards Manipal. In between visit Murdeshwar, Gokarna reach Manipal by evening or night. Check in hotel and roam around Manipal.

Day 5- Start towards Shirengeri, Hanumankundi and come back to Manipal.In evening, will see my college and have good dinner at Dollops even a drive to Male beach.

Day 6- Start early morning from Manipal to Kovalam, reach by night and check in.

Day 10- Check out early morning and comeback home i.e Bangalore.

Please advice if it doable or not or any risk associate with it.The timing will be Nov 1-2 weeks.

Please suggest which are the places to visit on the way from Manipal to Kovalam or any alternative of Kovalam. Kerela people can help me out on this. This journey I would like to cover coastal region.

Thanks,

Re: Plan to cover BLR-GOA-MANIPAL-KOVALAM-BLR

Dear Friends,

I have made a tentative backup plan during Diwali if we do not able to go home town.

This would be around 10 days plan :

minus Day1 (Night) - Start on evening from Bangalore and head towards Goa.

Day 1- Reach Goa and check in good hotel.

Day 4- Early morning start from Goa towards Manipal. In between visit Murdeshwar, Gokarna reach Manipal by evening or night. Check in hotel and roam around Manipal.

Day 5- Start towards Shirengeri, Hanumankundi and come back to Manipal.In evening, will see my college and have good dinner at Dollops even a drive to Male beach.

Day 6- Start early morning from Manipal to Kovalam, reach by night and check in.

Day 10- Check out early morning and comeback home i.e Bangalore.

Please advice if it doable or not or any risk associate with it.The timing will be Nov 1-2 weeks.

Please suggest which are the places to visit on the way from Manipal to Kovalam or any alternative of Kovalam. Kerela people can help me out on this. This journey I would like to cover coastal region.

Thanks,
This is a great plan.

You may find it little difficult to cover the distance from Manipal to Kovalam on Kerala roads in a day, or you will reach late night. Most of the roads till Thissur are single with heavy traffic, passing through villages and towns and hardly you can drive fast. And from Thrissur the roads are good with four lane almost, but again limitation on speed due to the towns close to each other; and checking will be there by cops for over speeding. So, you can consider having a break in Alleppey, one of the best tourist destinations; the backwaters and house boats would give you a different experience.

Thread Starter #3
Re: Plan to cover BLR-GOA-MANIPAL-KOVALAM-BLR

This is a great plan.

You may find it little difficult to cover the distance from Manipal to Kovalam on Kerala roads in a day, or you will reach late night. Most of the roads till Thissur are single with heavy traffic, passing through villages and towns and hardly you can drive fast. And from Thrissur the roads are good with four lane almost, but again limitation on speed due to the towns close to each other; and checking will be there by cops for over speeding. So, you can consider having a break in Alleppey, one of the best tourist destinations; the backwaters and house boats would give you a different experience.
Thank You Sir, kindly let me know how long it will take to reach Alleppey from Manipal in real life scenario. Also suggest how worse the road condition is.

ERTIG_ZMR The roads are good in kerala at present. i did thrissur - kannur last week the roads didn't have much potholes, more than 95% of potholes have been patched up. its the traffic thats going to delay you. i think you would need 12 hours drive from manipal to reach alleppy. if you are comfortable night drive would save you some time.

ERTIG_ZMR The roads are good in kerala at present. i did thrissur - kannur last week the roads didn't have much potholes, more than 95% of potholes have been patched up. its the traffic thats going to delay you. i think you would need 12 hours drive from manipal to reach alleppy. if you are comfortable night drive would save you some time.
@EZ

As SR mentioned, it will take around 12 hours under normal driving conditions and with few stopping. As of now it's raining in Kerala but it will be less after first week of October, as per the forecast.

You can spend maximum a day in Kovalam and one day in Trivandrum. On your return journey, you can consider Kanyakumari>Madurai>Salem>Bangalore route. If you start early morning from kovalam, you can spend 3-4 hours in Kanyakumari then continue to Bangalore, and by night you can reach. The roads are excellent.

Thread Starter #6
@EZ

As SR mentioned, it will take around 12 hours under normal driving conditions and with few stopping. As of now it's raining in Kerala but it will be less after first week of October, as per the forecast.

You can spend maximum a day in Kovalam and one day in Trivandrum. On your return journey, you can consider Kanyakumari>Madurai>Salem>Bangalore route. If you start early morning from kovalam, you can spend 3-4 hours in Kanyakumari then continue to Bangalore, and by night you can reach. The roads are excellent.
Thank You Sir, what if I start by early morning say around 4 AM, in one 90 mins I will reach Managalore. Afterwards please suggest, the roads are single lane or double lane. I am okay to take 12 hours.

Thank You Sir, what if I start by early morning say around 4 AM, in one 90 mins I will reach Managalore. Afterwards please suggest, the roads are single lane or double lane. I am okay to take 12 hours.
I would suggest the route; Mangalore>Kannur>Kozhikode(Calicut)>Malappuram>Shornur>Thrissur>Alleppey. Until Thrissur, most of the roads are single, you may find a few kms of 4 lane also, and from Thrissur it is NH 47, good 4 lane road.

NH 17 is short by 25 kms almost, but you may find heavy traffic, and I am not sure about the present road condition after monsoon started.

As per SR's update, the road condition is good.

What ever the case may be, whether it is single or double lane, 12 hours will be sufficient to cover the stretch. And don't worry much about the roads, only thing you have to be little more alert while overtaking and in town limits.

Last edited:
from mangalore till kasaragode its NH 17. from kasaragode you can either continue on NH 17 or can go via Bekal ( can visit the famous fort )till Kanhangad, from where you can rejoin NH 17. from there you can go till Kutttipuram, about 100 kms beyond Calicut on the NH17 from kuttipuram you can either continue till Ernakulam on the NH 17 or can go via the state highway till Ernakulam via THrissur. then join NH 47 till Alleppey. You will be going in front of the hospital iam working, do let me know your time & date of travel, would like to meet you if possible.

Thread Starter #9
from mangalore till kasaragode its NH 17. from kasaragode you can either continue on NH 17 or can go via Bekal ( can visit the famous fort )till Kanhangad, from where you can rejoin NH 17. from there you can go till Kutttipuram, about 100 kms beyond Calicut on the NH17 from kuttipuram you can either continue till Ernakulam on the NH 17 or can go via the state highway till Ernakulam via THrissur. then join NH 47 till Alleppey. You will be going in front of the hospital iam working, do let me know your time & date of travel, would like to meet you if possible.

So nice of you, I will definately let you know the time and date. Bekal fort is the one where Bombay movie song filmed. I guess it's not far from Managalore.

day time steady 80 kmph ......... no, no never. would be average 40 kmph if you are lucky. till 8 am there won't be much rush, after which its horrible bumper to bumper traffic. welcome to gods own country's mad traffic..............

Top Bottom