Coonoor To Kolkata Trip During October

Thread Starter #1
Firstly let me thank all fellow members who helped me complete my first solo drive from coonoor to goa in March 2013. Since then I have done one more goa trip with wife and kid.

Now I am planning to drive from Coonoor to Kolkata on 1st Oct. The options that I have are

(a) Coonoor-Vijayawada-Bhubaneshwar-Kolkata

(b) Coonoor-Tirupati-Vizag-Bhubaneshwar-Kolkata

My main queries are:-

(a) Is it possible to cover Vijayawada from Coonoor in 12/14 hrs of non stop driving. I am planning to start by 0100hrs on 01 Oct. Local drivers in Coonoor have told that the roads are safe to drive at night , no security issues or wildlife threats.

(b) Since the entire trip will be done on the NH7/NH5/NH60 and NH6. What are the road conditions? The stretches that I am most worried are :-
(i) Salem -Krishnagiri-Tirupati
(ii)Palasa and AP Odisha border
(iii)Bhubaneswar city and
(iv)Odisha to Kharaghpur

The return journey will be as follows:-

Day 1 - Kolkata to Puri/Chandipur (wherever hotels are available)
Day 3 - Puri/Chandipur to Vishakapatnam
Day 5 - Vishakapatnam to Tirupati
Day 7 - Tirupati to Coonoor

The reason for a 7 day trip is that my wife and kid will be coming with me and we want to have a fun time

Thread Starter #2
Hello people. please give some suggestions. the day of reckoning is near[cry]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello people.......please give some suggestions.....the day of reckoning is near[cry]
Great, this will be a fantastic drive.

I think AP friends will be able to update the current political situation in the state, regarding the road blockade or any agitation of that sort.

Wow great plan @aoldev
great to see a member from coonoor.
Next time during my ooty visit we have to meet. Pm me your contact no.
Still i have a strond desire for a road trip to north india.
Regarding routes im unaware.

Thread Starter #5
The attached map shows the route I will be taking. First night halt will be most probably at Vijayawada, followed by panthanivas,Chilika.The rest of the places are either for fuel, smoke breaks or food breaks. Please wish me luck for this ambitious road trip.

Attachments

NH-5 road condition is really good.but only problem is huge truck traffic and two wheeler rider are more.

Orissa-AP border (RTO Checkpost )is another nightmare.if you are unlucky you may stuck there for hours.

Rest will be fine.
Best of luck for the journey.

aoldev its an ambitious plan indeed. best of luck for a safe and memorable journey. i too am interested in the route as i have a dream to make a trip to the north east. your route and plan would definitely help me evolve a route plan.i have never ventured in that route so am unable to help you.

Hello Aoldev,

My two cents.. Please try to cross Bhubaneswar city in the wee hours to prevent the city traffic.
and after crossing Balasore, precisely in between Jaleswar and Kharagpur, please slow down while approaching any overbridge. Road surface on the overbridge on this stretch is really pathetic.

Thread Starter #9
Hello Aoldev,

My two cents.. Please try to cross Bhubaneswar city in the wee hours to prevent the city traffic.
and after crossing Balasore, precisely in between Jaleswar and Kharagpur, please slow down while approaching any overbridge. Road surface on the overbridge on this stretch is really pathetic.

Thank you for your inputs. i will definitely keep them in mind. what about agitations??? Will NH5 be spared or will it be the main target?

Top Bottom