Suggestions Needed: Bangalore - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram - Bangalore Trip

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I am planning to take a 4 day (Aug. 15, 16, 17, 18) trip to Madurai, Kanyakumari, Rameshwaram and back to Bangalore. I have gone through multiple threads on the forum and framed the following plan.

Aug-15 (Day 1) plan: Marathahalli - Salem - Dindigul - Madurai (Halt)
+ Start early around 5.00am to reach before sunset, as I am only 4 months old to driving. I heard that there are too many one ways in Madurai, so, I want to reach within confy time.
+ Hotel Vijay on TPK road appears to be reasonably price at Rs.660 a night. And more importantly, it has a parking. So, I prefer to opt this. Since I will only be sleeping before starting for next day journey early, I feel this is fine. Any suggestions?
+ Planning to take local transport as suggested by many in the forum to visit the temple
+ Sabarees for food in Madurai appears to be highly recommended

Aug 16 (Day 2) plan: Madurai-Kanyakumari (Halt)
+ Planning to stay at Vivekananda kendra (I have not been able to locate a link to make booking at the kendra - I will try out a number given there).
+ See the sunset, visit Vivekananda rock and Thiruvallur Statue are the planned items
+ Distance is nearly 250km

Aug 17 (Day 3): Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram (Halt)
+ Adding Tiruchendur, and other places would have been interesting, but, I felt I might get late to Rameshwaram and the temple would get closed.
+ Distance is nearly 300km
+ Please recommend a hotel in Rameshwaram

Aug 18 (Day 4): Rameshwaram - Bangalore.
+Start back early, possibly by 5.00am so that I can reach Bangalore before sunset.
+ Total distance is nearly 600km

I will be travelling alone in Nano. Total distance is about 1600km (as per google maps).

Please recommend route (entry/exit), pit stops, food stops, hotels, etc. I will be having my android phone with GPS/Data for navigation.

All suggestions and information regarding this is most welcome.

Re: Suggestions Needed: Bangalore - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram - Bangalore T

What is Happening here at TAI[surprise]

When ever I think to start the thread about my plan, some one that too from Banglore starting the thread and helping me to discuss.

Mastiandroid5: I'm also planning to do the trip to Rameshwaram and Thiruchandur from 16-18th of this month.

For sure, we will meet somewhere there[:D]

I've three plans in my mind,

Plan A:
Day 1(16th): starting from Vellore on 16th morning and will reach Tiruchendur in the afternoon and halt there.

Day 2(17th): Will start to Rameshwaram and visit Dhashkodi on the same day.

Day 3 (18th): visit Rameshwaram temple and start to Vellore.

Plan B:

Day 1(16th): starting from Vellore on 16th morning and will reach Rameshwaram in the afternoon and halt

Day 2(17th): visit to Dhashkodi in the morning time and visit temple in the evening and start to Tiruchendur and Halt.

Day 3 (18th): visit Tiruchendur Murugan temple and start to Vellore in the afternoon.

Plan C:

Day 1(16th): starting from Vellore on 16th morning and will reach Kanyakumari and visit sunset there then reach Tiruchandur and halt there.

Day 2(17th): visit Tiruchendur Murugan temple and start to Ramashwarm and visit the temple in the afternoon.

Day 3 (18th): visit Dhanushkodi in the Morning and start to Vellore in the Afternoon.

I Mostly prefer Plan A, lets see how it goes.

guys what is your suggestion?

Thread Starter #3
Re: Suggestions Needed: Bangalore - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram - Bangalore T

What is Happening here at TAI[surprise]

When ever I think to start the thread about my plan, some one that too from Banglore starting the thread and helping me to discuss.

Mastiandroid5: I'm also planning to do the trip to Rameshwaram and Thiruchandur from 16-18th of this month.

For sure, we will meet somewhere there[:D]

I've three plans in my mind,

Plan A:
Day 1(16th): starting from Vellore on 16th morning and will reach Tiruchendur in the afternoon and halt there.
Day 2(17th): Will start to Rameshwaram and visit Dhashkodi on the same day.
Day 3 (18th): visit Rameshwaram temple and start to Vellore.
I Mostly prefer Plan A, lets see how it goes.

guys what is your suggestion?
Hi AppU, that's really wonderful that you are planning to travel towards Rameswaram during this weekend [:D]. Good that you will be in Rameswaram on 17th. I will also be reaching there on the same day from Kanyakumari, hopefully by afternoon.

By the way, I am planning to take the KK - Tirunelveli - Tuticorin - Ramantapuram - Rameswaram route on Aug. 17th. So, possibly we might cross each other somewhere on the way to Rameswaram.

What time are you planning to start from Tiruchendur to Rameswaram? I am planning to see the sun rise at KK, and then start to Rameswaram.

Hi AppU, that's really wonderful that you are planning to travel towards Rameswaram during this weekend [:D]. Good that you will be in Rameswaram on 17th. I will also be reaching there on the same day from Kanyakumari, hopefully by afternoon.

By the way, I am planning to take the KK - Tirunelveli - Tuticorin - Ramantapuram - Rameswaram route on Aug. 17th. So, possibly we might cross each other somewhere on the way to Rameswaram.

What time are you planning to start from Tiruchendur to Rameswaram? I am planning to see the sun rise at KK, and then start to Rameswaram.
@mastiandroid5

@AppU

If you are planning to visit Rameswaram then consider Danushkodi, its worth.
In fact both of you can jointly hire a 4WD jeep, will cost you around Rs 1200/-

The route, planned by mastiandroid5 is perfect and good too. Watch out the cattle and dogs on the road. Make sure your wipers are perfect, and carry an umbrella too. While in Kanyakumari, pay a visit to Sucheendram temple if possible. For few more tips ....

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-7-days-road-trip-ghost-town-end-country.html

Thread Starter #5

@mastiandroid5

@AppU

If you are planning to visit Rameswaram then consider Danushkodi, its worth.
In fact both of you can jointly hire a 4WD jeep, will cost you around Rs 1200/-

The route, planned by mastiandroid5 is perfect and good too. Watch out the cattle and dogs on the road. Make sure your wipers are perfect, and carry an umbrella too. While in Kanyakumari, pay a visit to Sucheendram temple if possible. For few more tips ....

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-7-days-road-trip-ghost-town-end-country.html
Thanks Ram sir for your feedback. Good that it is verified by a pro like you. I did go through your travelogue, especially the photos showing wonderful 4 lane all along, and got confidence to take the journey.

Will try to catch up with AppU for the Dhanuskoti trip. Regarding the trip to Suchindram, I was interested, but, I felt I may not have time on Day-2 KK-day and I would like to start early on Day-3 to reach Rameswaram.

Thanks Ram sir for your feedback. Good that it is verified by a pro like you. I did go through your travelogue, especially the photos showing wonderful 4 lane all along, and got confidence to take the journey.

Will try to catch up with AppU for the Dhanuskoti trip. Regarding the trip to Suchindram, I was interested, but, I felt I may not have time on Day-2 KK-day and I would like to start early on Day-3 to reach Rameswaram.
Good!!!! Drive safe.

Have a nice and memorable journey.

Once you come back, share with us your experience and pictures

Thread Starter #7

Good!!!! Drive safe.

Have a nice and memorable journey.

Once you come back, share with us your experience and pictures
Thanks. Will surely share the experience and pics.

Thread Starter #8
First leg of journey done successfully. Enjoyed the day 1 at the Nayakar palace and Meenakshi temple. All are within walking distance from the hotel. Enjoyed a nice dinner at hotel Sree sabrees.

Hotel Vijay is a budget hotel which is neat work spot less sheets and ample parking space. A.C room costs about rs.1000 a night and non~a.c. standard room about 660 a night. The hotel is about 2km from both the palace and the temple.

Total distance covered so far is 454km.

All set to take on the next leg to Kanyakumari in the morning at 6:00am. Need to get fuel first thing in the morning.

Thread Starter #9

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions from members. I could sucscessfully complete the 4 day trip covering 1658km during Aug 15-18, 2013 break.

Trip synopsis
Total distance: 1658km
Hours in driving: 32 hours
Total toll: Rs. 1150
Top speed: 100kmph between Madurai to Kanyakumari on a very long straight road
Total fuel ~ 68 liters
FE ~ 24 kmpl with 100% AC

Here are some pics from the trip.

Nano posing for a pic on the highway with a wide smile
CopyDSC04115.JPG

Close up view of the work at Thirumalai Nayakkar Mahal (Madurai). This work is created by mixing sunnam (shell lime) with egg white to produce the smooth and glossy finish.
DSC03884.JPG

Roof painting at Thirumalai Nayakkar Mahal (Madurai). Several beautiful paintings adorn the roofs at this palace.
DSC03886.JPG

The west gopuram of Madurai Meenakshi temple. I am not sure since when these gopurams have the paintings. Although they highlight the number of idols and give a more identifiable form, I am not sure if this type of painting will have any impact on the underlying stone work. In fact, the pillars, roofs, etc inside the temple are also painted. I would have liked the natural stone format compared to the painted work.
DSC03945.JPG

Sun playing hide-and-seek at Cape Comorin. It was indeed beautiful to look at the sunset. It is very difficult to take pics of the sun set, as the brightness is blinding.
DSC04070.JPG

Swami Vivekananda rock at Kanyakumari. The long wait for 1.5 hours to reach the rock, and 1.5 hours to get back is very tiring.
DSC03993.JPG

Nano basking during Sun rise at Kanyakimari. It was very beautiful to see the Sun rise over the fields with large windmills whistling in the high breeze.
DSC04096.JPG

Nano all smiles to share a pic with a train at Pamban bridge. It was wonderful moment to see the train pass through the historic bridge.
DSC04151.JPG

This is by far the most beautiful location I have ever seen. It was most soothing to see the calm and beautiful blue colored water.
DSC04159.JPG

With AppU from TAI at Dhanuskoti beach. It was nice meeting AppU and I enjoyed a ride in his excellently maintained ride Whitty.
DSC04208.JPG

More pics to come along with day-by-day travelogue.

Last edited:

masthiandroid5, woh!! its a good start with good pictures. you could have started with a new thread.

Your nano looks like a cute little baby.

Thread Starter #11

masthiandroid5, woh!! its a good start with good pictures. you could have started with a new thread.

Your nano looks like a cute little baby.
Thanks for compliment about the pics [:)]

I may not have a lot to write, so, put this in the same thread. Will post more pics and possibly, day-to-day journey details.

Yes, that is one comment by many that the Nano looks cute. I guess I should do something to make it not look like a cute little baby :)

@Mastiandriod5:

So the first set of pics are out from yourside[clap]. It was really a nice time with you there[:)]

All the pics are really good. I forgot to mention to you, that we too watched the train on the railway bridge while returning. It was a wonderful experience.

still all the sceneries and the journey to Dhanushkodi is still in front of my eyes.

Expecting more Pics from you[:)]

@Mastiandriod5:

So the first set of pics are out from yourside[clap]. It was really a nice time with you there[:)]

All the pics are really good. I forgot to mention to you, that we too watched the train on the railway bridge while returning. It was a wonderful experience.

still all the sceneries and the journey to Dhanushkodi is still in front of my eyes.

Expecting more Pics from you[:)]
AppuS, how did you go to Danushkodi from Rameswaram?

Did you hire a 4WD jeep?

AppuS, how did you go to Danushkodi from Rameswaram?

Did you hire a 4WD jeep?
We parked Vista at One point in Rameshwaram, then we took Mahindra Maxicab 4*4

Like this:
DSC06213.jpg

More Pics will be coming in my TL[:)]

@mastiandroid5: I never came across this thread.

Wish i could have been of help to you.

Great to know you did this trip in Nano.

Waiting for more of your experiences in a different thread.

Top Bottom