1st July 2013 - Trip To Tirupati After 20 Years

Thread Starter #1
Hello friends,

On 1st July 2013 we [My self, wife, son, daughter and a friend] planning to get darshan of Lord Venkateshwara. Actually for me and my wife its after 20 years [both of us visited the place before our wedding] and for my son and daughter its first time. In my friends case, he visits every Monday there.

Actually when I wanted to go there I was going thru online sudaranam ticket booking and found no date till June [As on May] and found slots available on 1st July. Being my daughters birthday I have decided to book on that day and we got 2 to 3 pm slot [Rs.50].

We have planned to take Chennai - Periyapalayam - Uthukottai - Thirupathi - Thirumala. Planning to return on same day after dharshan.

Being first time traveling on my own I would like to know some info on the following.

• How is the route? Been upto Surutappali [next to uthukottai ] couple of months back and found the road was good with median in middle in most of the stretch. I do not know after Surutappali.
  • How the ghat road will be? I know it one way for up-hill and down-hill. But just would like to know how the roads will be.
  • Most probably might be climbing down in dark. will I be able to manage? is there any time limit?
  • Heard a news about duration to be taken while going up and down. if we go prior to the stipulated time our car will be added to warning list and second time if it happens our car will be banned there and may not be able to drive up to thirupathi again. Any confirmed news on this.

Thank you guys.

• How the ghat road will be? I know it one way for up-hill and down-hill. But just would like to know how the roads will be.
Roads on Ghat sections are in great condition with proper maintenance. No need to worry about that[:)]

• Most probably might be climbing down in dark. will I be able to manage? is there any time limit?
If you are not tired after a long waiting period during Dharshan. you can able to take night drive. Otherwise for please avoid night drive for your age :)

• Heard a news about duration to be taken while going up and down. if we go prior to the stipulated time our car will be added to warning list and second time if it happens our car will be banned there and may not be able to drive up to thirupathi again. Any confirmed news on this.

Thank you guys.

What is this? I can't understand this[surprise]

I've done so many trips to Thirupathi. My car will go for Checking before climbing the hill. We need to collect the ticket from there & have to show Thirumala checkpost. That's it

Hello friends,

Being first time traveling on my own I would like to know some info on the following.

• How is the route? Been upto Surutappali [next to uthukottai ] couple of months back and found the road was good with median in middle in most of the stretch. I do not know after Surutappali.
  • How the ghat road will be? I know it one way for up-hill and down-hill. But just would like to know how the roads will be. Road are very well maintained and wide (not that wide). since it is one way , so it is safe unless you are remaining in the stipulated speed limit.

• Most probably might be climbing down in dark. will I be able to manage? is there any time limit? There is no problem at all. You will find always fellow car/bus/tempo etc no matter what time you go up or down. So you will never be alone. Speed limit is there may be 40 KMPH (not sure).
  • Heard a news about duration to be taken while going up and down. if we go prior to the stipulated time our car will be added to warning list and second time if it happens our car will be banned there and may not be able to drive up to thirupathi again. Any confirmed news on this. Not sure on this. But I have seen those Innova,Sumo etc will be ripping through the ghat like F1 race future participant who are correcting their timing.

Thank you guys.
The ghat is not that stiff while going up and the curve are not that big but while coming down, some of the curve are really hair pin bend. Since this you will hit while coming down, so negotiation will be easy.

Thread Starter #5
@appu, couple of my friends went to thirupathi 12th of June. While climbing up they did it in 22 mints and as soon as they reached top his number was flashing in a display with 3 minutes earlier. Then the attendant told him that if he does it once more his car will be blocked.

Then they have been told that while climbing up minimum duration should be 25 Minutes and while climbing down we should come down in 40 Minutes.

And regarding Night driving, I myself against for night driving. But that day we do not know. Next day kidos has to go to school and I need to go to office. So I might end up in driving in night.

Last edited:
@appu, couple of my friends went to thirupathi 12th of June. While climbing up they did it in 22 mints and as soon as they reached top his number was flashing in a display with 3 minutes earlier. Then the attendant told him that if he does it once more his car will be blocked.

Then they have been told that while climbing up minimum duration should be 25 Minutes and while climbing down we should come down in 40 Minutes.

And regarding Night driving, I myself against for night driving. But that day we do not know. Next day kidos has to go to school and I need to go to office. So I might end up in driving in night.

Oh, This Maybe a new rule.

We mostly were in urge to reach thirumala for Rs.50 dharshan timings, So most of the time I drive fast to reach on time. But, I won't do rash driving.

Anyhow, Good rule[clap]

BTW,You can go some couple of Hours before from the Dharshan timings, that is not an issue.

Enjoy your trip & have a pleasant Dharshan of Lord Balaji[:)]

Thread Starter #7
Guys am back from Tirupati after a fantastic dharshan.

I would like to mention one important thing here is Yes, they have fixed time limit for both ways. You have to reach up in 28 minutes or more and reach down in 40 minutes or more. if you reach even a minute before your car is marked and you are allowed twice like this. After that your car will be blocked and you cant enter Tirupati Ghat section afterwards.

All along the way the caution board is on display. I could see lots and lots of cars parked before the end point [on both-ways] since they have reached before specified time. I heard this was for Tirupati Govt buses also.

While going up I just went between 20-40 and while climbing down I came just in 30-40 and I was able to drive in specified time.

The best part is no one was rushing and the drive was enjoyable in that speed.

@sethu sir,
Lucky you.
When we went, many guys were honking badly even though we were at 30-40kmph. Gave way to all. Nice initiative by TTD !

Thread Starter #10
Asir, unfortunately I did not clicked any pics of roads in Ghat section. Sorry.

@sethu sir,
Lucky you.
When we went, many guys were honking badly even though we were at 30-40kmph. Gave way to all. Nice initiative by TTD !
Yes Appus. It is a fantastic initiative taken by them like others [No Cigerate/PAN/Liquor].

But I do not know how they will manage on peak days. If everyone starts slowly moving then am sure there will be a bumper to bumper traffic in ghat section.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I do not know how they will manage on peak days. If everyone starts slowly moving then am sure there will be a bumper to bumper traffic in ghat section.
Actually, they do not want to drive that slow as well. 25-28 minutes is normal driving time unless they do rash driving. I think i took 35- 45 minutes to climb. Fun to drive as no inward vehicles ! (one way)

Thread Starter #12
Actually, they do not want to drive that slow as well. 25-28 minutes is normal driving time unless they do rash driving. I think i took 35- 45 minutes to climb. Fun to drive as no inward vehicles ! (one way)
You are right. I drove in 20-40 while climbing up and I think I took 35 Mints where the specified time was 28 minutes. While coming down I drove in 30-40 and reached in 50 minutes where is the specified time was 40 minutes.

What I meant about traffic is assume in peak days am sure there will be more cars climbing down or up at the same time. when more car is there am sure the distance between cars are going to reduced. in that situation if everyone tries to maintain low speed wont it get as B2B Traffic?

Yes it is really fun while driving in One way.

I never knew about this rule, as I always went there on bus. I have been to Tirupati a couple of times. My father is a true devotee of Balaji. He goes for darshan 2-3 times in a year.

Thread Starter #14
Am glad that am the one who informed TAI about this and hope we all drive carefully thru ghat section and enjoy the drive.

Thread Starter #15
Guys, Thought of posting this which might give you guys clear picture. While coming down no receipt was issued but before you start climbing down at entry point they scan the bar code of the same receipt so that the start time is recorded. at the end time again the bar code is scanned and arrival time is found. It should be 40 minutes or more than that.

I think soon they might come up with the maximum time also.

Thirumal Receipt.jpg

Top Bottom