Where To Go? Dharmshala + McLeodganj OR Manali + Rohtang OR Narkanda?

Thread Starter #1
Hi TAI members,
I'm looking forward to a trip to one of the destination among Dharamshala and Manali. However, I'm not able to choose between the two.
I'm a new driver and I've driven for 10K Km. only so far that included driving in plain areas(Punjab) or on Himalayan Expressway only( en route to office in Parwanoo, HP).

Origin City : Amritsar

Destination : Well, help me decide guys ...
Manali :
Distance : 400 Km ( 200 plains + 200 hills )
I'm more interested in this destination but I don't feel confident enough to drive on manali road due to heavy tourist vehicle traffic. Also, I've no experience on driving on snow in Rohtang. The travel time can also extend upto 7,8 hours easily.

Dharamshala :
Distance : 200 Km (100 Plains + 100 hills)
The nearest destination. Takes just 3 hours from home to be there. Easy on pocket too. But the question is that is it worth going there in the month of June. I'm sure i wouldn't get to see any snowfall over there but what exactly is there to see in Dharamshala/McLeod Ganj. I mean what are the tourist attractions there ?
Also, I feel taking this trip initially would build up my confidence in driving in hilly regions. But question again comes to my mind that is it worth to go there in compariosn ?

Shimla/narkanda :
Distance : 320 Km. ( 250 Plains + 70 Hills )
This route is somewhat familiar to me because I've travelled on it twice in passenger seat on friend's car. But I find Shimla somewhat boring. I'm not willing to take this route because I've kept this one reserved for another trip to Spiti/Reckong Peo at later times.

Also, I feel taking Dharamshala/McLeodGanj trip initially would build up my confidence in driving in hilly regions. But question again comes to my mind that is it worth to go there in comparison to other destinations ?

The routes of the three can be found in the Pictures attached.

Attachments

Top Bottom