Planning Bangalore - Munnar Road Trip

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

We (me & wife) are planning a Munnar trip around May 11 to May 15.

I had few questions and your help is needed:

Some info:
1) We plan to start on Sat (11 May) around 4 or 5 AM (not later)
2) Mostly in favor of reaching Munnar the same day
3) Start return journey on May 15th early morning
4) Driving Punto (D) and with my wife + 2 yr kid

Please let me know...
1) What are the route options I have?
- I would prefer a good road (multi lane, no/less potholes, safer etc) above reducing distance​
- It will be very useful to have latest update on road condition​
2) Would like to reach before it gets dark, preferably around 3 or 4 PM
3) Do you think a halt is better option?
4) Any other tips on -
a) hotel to stay,​
b) visit places around​
c) Eating place(s) on the way​
5) Very important - special precautions to take during the drive

Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Planning Bangalore - Munnar trip mid May 2013

Hello,

We (me & wife) are planning a Munnar trip around May 11 to May 15.

I had few questions and your help is needed:

Some info:
1) We plan to start on Sat (11 May) around 4 or 5 AM (not later)
2) Mostly in favor of reaching Munnar the same day
3) Start return journey on May 15th early morning
4) Driving Punto (D) and with my wife + 2 yr kid

Please let me know...
1) What are the route options I have?
- I would prefer a good road (multi lane, no/less potholes, safer etc) above reducing distance​
- It will be very useful to have latest update on road condition​
2) Would like to reach before it gets dark, preferably around 3 or 4 PM
3) Do you think a halt is better option?
4) Any other tips on -
a) hotel to stay,​
b) visit places around​
c) Eating place(s) on the way​
5) Very important - special precautions to take during the drive

Thanks!
Hi hemantp!!

Munnar is one of the good hill stations in south. And 11th to 15th May is an ideal time to go there. Because, 1st week of June the monsoon starts, and during rainy season going there is not advisable due to leaches problem almost every where there. One of the best routes from Bangalore is Hosur>Krishnagiri>Dharmapuri>Salem>Coimbatore>Pollachi>Marayur>Munnar and the distance is around 520 kms. Up to Coimbatore its 4 way lane toll road. Before reaching coimbatore, take Palakkad/Cochin bye pass on the left, again a toll road, and towards the end you can see a signal junction, and take a left turn to pollachi, you can not miss the board also showing the direction. From this point Pollachi is less than 40 kms (2 way lane but good road). From here munnar is 115 kms. There are boards showing the direction, or take the help of GPS, else ask anybody. The last 60 to 80 kms are forest route and the stretch is ok. You will find lot of forest check posts on the way, and you have to stop the vehicle, enter your details in their register and proceed.

If you start at 5 am you will pass Selam at 8 am (under normal driving), continue further towards Coimbatore, after 15 minutes or so you will find a restaurant on the left side Hotel Saravana bhavan, with parking and toilet facilities, an option for breakfast. You may reach Coimbatore bye pass around 10.30 am, Pollachi around 11.15 am. And before reaching Munnar, there is a place called Marayur, a small town, where there are few good restaurants. You can consider this place for lunch, and from here it will take one more hour to Munnar.

Whenever I go to Munnar I stay at a hotel called Hotel Dhanyasree (budget hotel), offers a decent stay with parking, and a restaurant attached. Else, there are lot of options for stay at Munnar. Remember, its summer vacation, can be little crowded, so prior booking is better.

Munnar is famous for its weather, and you will find only tea plantations every where. And there are lot of spots around, and you can get the list and directions from the travel desk at your hotel.

I think you can reach by 2 or 3 pm under normal driving conditions. You got to be more alert on the forest road, but absolutely no problem, you can have a safe driving.

All the best and have a good holiday

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Thanks a lot for detailed reply.

I will follow up on hotel/resort.

Regarding the route, is it required to go till Coimbtore if we decide not to take halt? For example, are there any options from Salem itself? Or the road quality is not good?

Thanks.

I will be hooked to this thread, as me also will plan a trip to Munnar in future.

That's a lot of info AR Ram Sir. Can you please advise how is the drive to Munnar uphill ? Is it compared to Ooty, Kodaikanal, Yercaud, Yelagiri ?
My idea is to know how steep it is ? And how are road conditions. If you have any pics , please post same.

Thanks,
Anshuman

Regarding the route, is it required to go till Coimbtore if we decide not to take halt? For example, are there any options from Salem itself? Or the road quality is not good?

Thanks.
I think he might have suggested Coimbatore Bypass as you wanted a better route than crowded one. I think you can visit Pollachi too in the above case.

Thanks.
About 15 kms before reaching Coimbatore you can see the bye pass road with a big board to Palakkad/Cochin on your left side. From Salem you can go via Dindugal but again through Pollachi only.

Between Avinashi and Coimbatore, the road is under expansion, but nearing completion. You may find few diversions, but doesn't matter or bother you much. As you know in our country, road expansion is a never ending story.

I don't think any where is steep through out the stretch, like Masinagudi route to Ooty.

Last edited:

I will be hooked to this thread, as me also will plan a trip to Munnar in future.

That's a lot of info AR Ram Sir. Can you please advise how is the drive to Munnar uphill ? Is it compared to Ooty, Kodaikanal, Yercaud, Yelagiri ?
My idea is to know how steep it is ? And how are road conditions. If you have any pics , please post same.

Thanks,
Anshuman
Hi anshuman8

First Ooty. there are two routes from Bandipur. One via Masinagudi, very steep and with 36 hairpin bends, but no heavy vehicles are allowed. The other one is via Gudalur, not steep but long by 40 kms or more.

Kodai : Road from Palani till it joins Kodai > Madurai road is bit narrow. Madurai > Kodai road is broad but was very pathetic when I went couple of months back.

Yercaud and Yelagiri road is par excellence.

The route I suggested is not at all steep. But the forest roads are little narrow with less traffic, you really enjoy the drive

I don't have the road pictures, but few shots from the road is there

Attachments

I think he might have suggested Coimbatore Bypass as you wanted a better route than crowded one. I think you can visit Pollachi too in the above case.
Of course appus, you are absolutely right. You can avoid Coimbatore city traffic, plus save 90 minutes.

Passing Pollachi town will take maximum 20 minutes with one signal.

Thread Starter #9
Re: Planning Bangalore - Munnar Trip Mid May 2013

Thanks a lot Sir! Nice pics too.

I thought of keeping two options on same route you suggested:

1) Hosur>Krishnagiri>Dharmapuri>Salem>Coimbatore>Poll achi>Marayur>Munnar
2) Avoid Coimbtore -- so how does this route turn out?
Hosur>Krishnagiri>Dharmapuri>Salem> <take exit at ???> >Poll achi>Marayur>Munnar

Thanks.

P.S.: Due to an urgent issue that has come up, it is likely that I will have to use my vacation from 11th May to instead go to Goa.

Is so happens, really feel Munnar missing, especially after brilliant follow ups by @AR Ram. Also not sure when will be the next slot as rains will start soon.

Between Avinashi and Coimbatore, the road is under expansion, but nearing completion. You may find few diversions, but doesn't matter or bother you much. As you know in our country, road expansion is a never ending story.
Yes, it is still under expansion. Be alert for undulated roads especially on flyover joints. When you see warning for 30KM speed, please reduce your speed. Opposite traffic too to flow in left lanes.

Neelambur is the place where you need to take bypass. It is also known as L&T bypass by locals. You will hit a half constructed flyover about 15 kms away from Coimbatore, take the left road for Pollachi bypass. Get the toll paid for Pollachi in the first place, you can show this receipt, as you pass through two more tolls on the same bypass. You will see Karpagam university on your left where you need to take a left. Also this is a four way junction. From there you drive straight for Pollachi. This route entirely bypass Coimbatore.

ARR Sir,

I'm also planning to Munnar between 13-16th of this month.

My only worry is monsoon :(

Will it rain during Next week June 13-15? any idea?

ARR Sir,

I'm also planning to Munnar between 13-16th of this month.

My only worry is monsoon :(

Will it rain during Next week June 13-15? any idea?
AppU. It started raining already in Kerala. It will be pleasant in Munnar in June except for the rain. There will be sufficient water in the falls, echo point etc. But the only problem is leeches, you should be very careful.

Hahahaha appu, [lol] your question to AR Ram Sir is like he is working in meteorology department[lol]

Mansoons already hit Kerala and even Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka too, so there will be rain mostly likely in Munnar, anyway I have this report from my mobile

Attachments

oh.. I missed you Gurrala. So I got a meteorology report from Gurrala[;)]

If it rains in Munnar, I'll proceed to Ooty. I don't want to waste my leave [:)]

oh.. I missed you Gurrala. So I got a meteorology report from Gurrala[;)]

If it rains in Munnar, I'll proceed to Ooty. I don't want to waste my leave [:)]
Don't worry AppU, even if its raining still you can consider Munnar. The weather will be very pleasant. Only care has to be taken on leeches matter, they are found in Kodai also. If you are going via Pollachi, the route is very good with lot of wildlife sanctuaries on the way. And in June it could be raining in Ooty also.

Top Bottom