Road Condition and Travel Suggestions for Destination Darjeeling

Thread Starter #1
How is the road condition between Siliguri to Derjelling as i am planing to go there?is the roads are steep towards derjilling or is there any problem that i may face with 4 adult and 1 kid on board with boot full luggage? I have another alternate plan,self drive till siliguri and park the car some where and from there hire taxi to derjilling,is there any place where i can park my car for two days in siliguri?request your help..[confused]

Re: Road condition and travel suggestion for destination Derjelling.

@swiftkolkata: If you are driving from Kolkata to Siliguri, I have heard that the roads in between (Malda etc.) are not that good.

Just check for road conditions before you start.

Thread Starter #3

@swiftkolkata: If you are driving from Kolkata to Siliguri, I have heard that the roads in between (Malda etc.) are not that good.

Just check for road conditions before you start.
Yes Chayan,I will drive from Kolkata to siliguri and probably take the route via Bhagalpur-purnia but dont know the road condition.

How is the road condition between Siliguri to Derjelling as i am planing to go there?is the roads are steep towards derjilling or is there any problem that i may face with 4 adult and 1 kid on board with boot full luggage? I have another alternate plan,self drive till siliguri and park the car some where and from there hire taxi to derjilling,is there any place where i can park my car for two days in siliguri?request your help..[confused]
Driving to Siliguri and parking your car and going to Darjeeling in a hired car does not make any sense. You will only do the dirty job of driving to Siliguri through some unrewarding roads only to leave your car back when the drive will start to get rewarding.

Thr are 4 roads (some other options are their also) from Siliguri to Darjeeling.

1) The original road is Hill Cart Road through which the Toy Train chugs up. This road is least steep but is broken down now and heard is almost out of bound.

2) The Pankhabari road is the steepest and at times have heard is one way only for vehicles coming down.

3) The Mirik route is good but is the longest. You can come down through this route and stop over in Mirik.

4) The most suitable route is through Rohini. Heard the roads have been repaired also. The Swift will VERY easily climb the slopes upto Kurseong from where it is along the Hill cart road to Darjeeling

Thread Starter #5

Driving to Siliguri and parking your car and going to Darjeeling in a hired car does not make any sense. You will only do the dirty job of driving to Siliguri through some unrewarding roads only to leave your car back when the drive will start to get rewarding.

Thr are 4 roads (some other options are their also) from Siliguri to Darjeeling.

1) The original road is Hill Cart Road through which the Toy Train chugs up. This road is least steep but is broken down now and heard is almost out of bound.

2) The Pankhabari road is the steepest and at times have heard is one way only for vehicles coming down.

3) The Mirik route is good but is the longest. You can come down through this route and stop over in Mirik.

4) The most suitable route is through Rohini. Heard the roads have been repaired also. The Swift will VERY easily climb the slopes upto Kurseong from where it is along the Hill cart road to Darjeeling
Chandranath i have already sold my Swift and now i am having Ford Fiesta(D).Is it possible for a Sedan to climb through hill cart road after Kurseong with full load?I think i have seen you on 17th april in BPCL fuel station near Deshopriyo Park with your Xylo.

Last edited:

Chandranath i have already sold my Swift and now i am having Ford Fiesta(D).Is it possible for a Sedan to climb through hill cart road after Kurseong with full load?I think i have seen you on 17th april in BPCL fuel station near Deshopriyo Park with your Xylo.
ANY CAR with full load can make the hill cart road from Kurseong to Darjeeling. The hill cart road is so named because it is so less steep that even a cart can be pulled all along.

Just check out which hotel you will put into as it has to have a car access and parking.

I do fill up at times from the BPCL pump in Deshopriyo Park. But cant recollect if I was thr on 17th April or not. What was the time and was I alone? Anyways you could have called me.

Thread Starter #7

ANY CAR with full load can make the hill cart road from Kurseong to Darjeeling. The hill cart road is so named because it is so less steep that even a cart can be pulled all along.

Just check out which hotel you will put into as it has to have a car access and parking.

I do fill up at times from the BPCL pump in Deshopriyo Park. But cant recollect if I was thr on 17th April or not. What was the time and was I alone? Anyways you could have called me.
no someone was there along with you an time was near about 4-4.30pm.i was just going out from that pump after refueling and was in a hurry for an urgent office meeting or else i could have called you.ok next time we will meet..

Top Bottom