Pune To Kullu

Thread Starter #1
Two drivers Skoda Rapid TDI. Most probably we will go non stop, but if it will be necessary we will stop for a night somewhere.

Rout

Pune - Ahmednagar - Shirdi - Manmad - NH3 - SH79 Lebad -> Ajmer NH8-> Jaipur NH8 -> Delhi --> Karnal -> Chandigarh -> Rupnagar -> Bilaspur --> Kullu.

From what I learned Pune to Ajmeer rout via Shirdi and SH79 much better compared to Rout via Mumbai - Godhra -> Udaipur - Jaipur.

By the way rout from Mumbai to Udaipur via Godhra much better, then via Allahabad, there is SH5 four lanes, completely empty, amazing quality tar.

But we are not going via Mumbai - Godhra -> Udaipur - Jaipur for many reasons, Mumbai traffic, Mumbai to Vadodara highway heavily packed with tracks on all lanes traffic slow. Longer way.

we going Pune - Ahmednagar - Shirdi - Manmad - NH3 - SH79 Lebad -> Ajmer NH8-> Jaipur

I do not have doubts about that part NH3 - SH79 Lebad -> Ajmer NH8-> Jaipur but I never been on the Pune - Ahmednagar - Shirdi - Manmad - NH3. By reports it is better rout compared to Nasik road.

Regarding crossing Delhi, we ruled out any shortcuts via Rohtak - Panipat, that does not make much sense. Crossing Delhi not a problem at any time, there is flyovers in all major bottlenecks now.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Crossing Delhi not a problem at any time, there is flyovers in all major bottlenecks now.
The rush hours (morning and evening) are best avoided in Delhi due to which even the flyovers suffer from major traffic jams. Keep us updated and all the best for trip.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi Pinwheel,

I am also planning a similar tour in the month of May.

I am planning to go to Kota from Pune and then onwards to Delhi-Chandigarh-bilaspur-Mandi-Manali

As of now am planning to take a driver for the Delhi-Manali leg.

Any ideas if I the Delhi-Manali can be done in the night? is it safe?
Does the buses plying from Delhi towards Manali are a hazard or they drive sensibly?

I have a complete detailed route from Pune to delhi laid out by HV Kumar sir, but that is via Kota if you want have a look at the attachment.

Attachments

Thread Starter #4
Hi Pinwheel,

I am also planning a similar tour in the month of May.

I am planning to go to Kota from Pune and then onwards to Delhi-Chandigarh-bilaspur-Mandi-Manali

As of now am planning to take a driver for the Delhi-Manali leg.

Any ideas if I the Delhi-Manali can be done in the night? is it safe?
Does the buses plying from Delhi towards Manali are a hazard or they drive sensibly?

I have a complete detailed route from Pune to delhi laid out by HV Kumar sir, but that is via Kota if you want have a look at the attachment.
thanks for sharing, such a meticulous planing. I never do such planing, I have all turns and city exits loaded into GPS. Even in such case surprises everywhere. Last time I made a tested turn on Agra bypass , on the way from Mathura to Jaipur and --- fresh wall made of bricks in front of rail way crossing.

Pune-Nashik-Dhule-Manpur-Lebad will take more time compared to

Pune - Ahmednagar - Shirdi - Manmad - NH3 - SH79 Lebad.

Pune Nashil road loaded with trucks and those trucks made some heavy impact on road quality too. I been on that road recently, slowww, and now planing to go

Pune - Ahmednagar - Shirdi - Manmad - NH3 - SH79 Lebad.

Let see if this rout any better.

I do not know why you choose to go via Kota, unless you need to be in Kota, there is better way, see attached map. SH79 on most length is 4 lanes, no busy traffic. from Lebag drive toward Bhilwara then join NH8 and sida to Delhi. I've been on that road recently, will do again.

I don't understand well your Delhi rout, but it seems a bit complicated. coming from Jaipur turn left on Daula Kuan on Ring road, then left on Grand Trank road, done, on the way to Ambala.

Driving in Punjab at night, any where in Punjab, especially with MH numbers not a good idea. Toll Plaza boys making calls and expect someone following you soon. Unless if you are well prepared for such situation, no night drives in Punjab. That I'm quite sure about, say the least.

good luck.

thanks 350Z, will be in touch.

Attachments

Last edited:
Kota is my hometown..... and planning to currently halt at Chandigarh for the night. Will be picking up the driver from Delhi thats why will be going to Delhi.

Thread Starter #6
hey
I'm in Kullu~)

road via Ahmednagar goood, 4 lanes all the way to Malegaon, tar quality very good, only small stretch like 10 km 2 lanes and patched. Took us 5 hours to reach Malegaon from Baner Pune. By Nasik road you will be lucky to reach Nashik by that time. Lebag Ajmeer road very good too, only small stretch in Rajastan border area 2 lanes patched. We made it in Delhi in 27 hours, no rush driving, cruising at 100-120 kmh, distance by ODO 1406km.

will post more later

hey
I'm in Kullu~)

road via Ahmednagar goood, 4 lanes all the way to Malegaon, tar quality very good, only small stretch like 10 km 2 lanes and patched. Took us 5 hours to reach Malegaon from Baner Pune. By Nasik road you will be lucky to reach Nashik by that time. Lebag Ajmeer road very good too, only small stretch in Rajastan border area 2 lanes patched. We made it in Delhi in 27 hours, no rush driving, cruising at 100-120 kmh, distance by ODO 1406km.

will post more later
Good going pinwheel. Best wishes for rest of the journey. Please do post pics when you get a chance...

Great going. can you update on the final route you took along with the condition?

So you took the pune-shirur-ahemdnagar-malegaon-dhule?

where on from Dhule?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
we started at 3:40 Sunday
Pune - Ahmednagar (4 lanes, good quality)
Ahmednagar - Manmad - Malegaon keep on SH10 all the way. 4 lanes good quality up to NH3(only small part 3 lanes with construction going on) traffic mostly large trucks. Speed 100-120 easy can be maintained.

we reached Malegaon at 8:50

then followed toward Mhov on NH3. After Manpur there is left turn toward NH79 road perfect and empty maybe because of Sunday. Keep this road till T turn with NH79 then take left turn toward Ajmeer. Here is GPS location for that turn 22 25 58.3 N 75 37 13.6 E

We been on NH79 at 13:30

From that location road going via Ratlam then Neemuch - Chittorgarh - Bhilwara stay on NH79 and then on NH79A, road is perfect 4 lanes, very little traffic. We joined NH8 after Kishangarh, so Ajmeer will be left behind. We reached Nh8 at 23:00. After Neemuch broken 2 lanes overpached road in area of Rajastan border. Better would be to drive in these area during day time. There is also a lot of trucks, because of border checking and jams. 20-30kms only.

Than toward Jaipur 6 lanes NH8 good. Right before Jaipur left turn on Jaipur bypass. All good road traffic increasing after Jaipur. Oce in Haryan it will get much worse. Haryana state in state of diversion. Unfinished flyovers erected as monuments everywhere, diversion after diversion and a lot of trucks. Movement slow. We reached Gurgaon at 7:10 and got out of Delhi at 8:10.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update man.

Can you also tell me what route will you be takin from delhi to kullu? via shimla or via chandigarh-mandi?

The gps location you showed 22 25 58.3 N, 75 37 13.6 E. from this location to ratlam the left turn no road is shown in the google map. so is the road good?

@Pinwheel , congrats man for the adventurous trip , is it Thar?

, I am also planning similar trip as my son wants to visit the places which I visited during my honeymoon. i.e. simla , kullu, Manali.

We are 4 , me(only driver), wife and 2 kids , so please provide some hints with family safty of prime importance.

Last edited:
@pinwheel: Thanks for the update man.

I am planning of the following route to take:

Leg1 pune-ahemadnagar-dhule-manpur-lebad-mandsaur-chittorgarh-kota-- around 1200kms -- ETA: 20 hours. 2 drivers.

Leg2 Kota- Swai Madhopur-Dausa-Alwar-Behror-Rewari-Jhajhar-sonepat-panipat-ambala-shambhu barrier-rupnagar-rupar-kiratpur sahib-Swarghat-bilaspur Around 900kms ETA: 13-15 hours. 1 driver.

Leg3 Bilaspur-ner chowk-mandi-aut-manali Around 180kms. ETA 6 hours: 1 Driver

Another important question:

Any place in your journey where you were harassed by the law breakers and/or law breakers?

Top Bottom