Trip From Jamshedpur To Pune

Thread Starter #1
I am planning for a road trip in my Figo from Jamshedpur to Pune by next month.

I am totally unfamiliar with the routes from Jamshedpur to Nagpur. So looking for help regarding best route / safest route / road conditions / what to watch our for/ which City to halt.

I looked into Google-maps and the route suggested is

SH50 Jamshedpur to Rairangpur - 75 km's
SH49 & AH46 Rairangpur to Kendujhar- 105 km's
AH46 Kendujhar to Raipur (via Sambalpur)- 486 km's
AH46 Raipur to Nagpur- 285 km's
NH222 Nagpur to Pune- 760 km's

Is this the best route? Any Suggestions???

Hi,do you live in Jamshedpur,then nice to meet another Jharkhandi on TAI.You can also take the GT road and reach Pune via :Jameshpur to Hazaribag to Barhi to Delhi to Ahmedabad to Mumbai to Pune.Though this route is little longer yet the advantage is that you'll encounter mostly well paved 4 lane roads,which will be good for you and your Figo,IMO.

Thread Starter #3
Great idea mate... I will surely consider that during my leisure trip by road. ;)

However for now I am planning to cover the 1800kms in 2 days. I tried doing some RnD and found an alternate and a preferable way for now

NH33- Jamshedpur to Baharagora (Near Kharagpur) - 95 kms (Not so great road as per the NH std...)
The NH33 meets the NH6 at Baharagora. I will follow NH6 all the way till Nagpur. :) & then take the NH222.

Got alot of [drive] coming up...

Any suggestions on where to halt??? Is night driving safe on these roads?

@karthick @Xover
Hi !
I just joined this forum . I am also planning to go down to pune by road from jamshedpur . I have a 2010 city . I also checked all the routes on google maps. Could you guys tell me about the road conditions .
Karthick if you made the trip , could you exactly tell me wat to do and wat not to.
wer to halt and all and how to plan it ....
The prob wid city is low ground clearance .... navigation on very bad patches becomes a prob,

Also any information from anyone who has done this trip will be very helpful

Hi karthga06 welcome to TAI

1800kms in 2 days is really very much If possible keep a spare day. 2 days back a friend of mine drove from Nagpur to Pune. Road condition from Pune to Jalna is in a very nice condition. Jalna to Nagpur has some bad patches in between so be cautious in that section.

@ XOVER: Doing that will increase the distance by good 1000kms. Not worth it, unless you intend to visit these extra places as well. I recently covered the roads from Ranchi to Nagpur on my Manza. The roads are just OK. Since you're from Jamshedpur, you wont be surprised with the road conditions. However, need to be careful of monstrous potholes which can take you any time.
Route which should be viable should be:
Tata-Sambalpur-Raipur-Rajnandgaon-Nagpur-Amravati-Aurangabad-Pune
Mostly you will follow the route of Azad Hind Express. [;)]
Expect most of the route to have OK type of roads. Part of the roads in form of good expressways. And a small portion of pathetic roads. Expect very bad roads just before Raipur.
I hope with little careful driving, your Figo can take it.
Take 3 days for covering the distance. Else you'll be stressed out. Day 1 will take to reach Raipur itself. Drive at sane speeds. 80-90 kmph would be just fine and occasional bursts of speed whenever roads permit. You can stay over at Raipur and Amravati.
One question? How many people will be driving? In that case you can squeeze it in 2 days. Day 1 till Nagpur. Day 2 till pune. But believe me, it will be very tiring. Roads are not that speed friendly.
I stayed at Hotel Grand Arjun. It has enclosed open and covered parking area. Rates are good . Rooms are comfortable. Home | Hotel Grand Arjun
Mr Rajinder was very helpful. We stayed twice at this hotel. Our German Shepherd too liked the hotel a lot. [:)]
Try to start early from Tata and cross the bad road before Raipur in daylight. Also when in Raipur beware of the traffic. Its total chaos. You should have 10 eyes looking at each direction.
Road from Sambalpur to Raipur wont be in very good condition as per highway standards. But it wont be a surprise for you.
However I suspect about Honda City of Abin.ivan If somehow you can bypass the bad stretch before Raipur, you can go ahead. Else high probability of car getting damaged. Seen some locals crossing on 800. But they are familiar with the holes.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...galore-kolkata-require-route-suggestions.html
Do let us know which route you chose.

@nozzlering : Thanks for the info.... i was planning to follow d same route .... ya roads here in jmshdpr are not worthy of being called roads ..... u said from sambalpur to raipur roads are very bad and asked me to bypass this route ....do u have some alternate route in mind ?? ... I am the only driver and it will be a solo trip....3rd day i plan to reach pune .... i was thnking of a stay in Raipur and den aurangabad ....3rd day pune .... but i will consider staying back at amravati .....

@ konkantrip :Also from nagpur to jalna roads are bad ..... any other stretch i should be worried off??

wid bad road conditions touching 90 would be tough i thnk ..... i thnk avg speed wont be mor than 60

Last edited:
60 is very good average. I did about 1000 km in a day from Bangalore to Nanded. Including stopovers, my average came to be around 55 kmph. Since roads are bad I would advise cautious driving. Dont get carried away by a good stretch of road. Because you dont know about that big pothole waiting for you. However 80-90 is safe speed. I too tried to maintain 80. Only on expressway I floored the pedal.
I was talking about a stretch of about 5kms before Raipur. This one exceeds the term pathetic. Sambalpur to Raipur is not that bad. Since you are familiar with bad roads, you wont notice any problem in Sambalpur to Raipur. Just be sure to reach Raipur before sunset.

@ konkantrip :Also from nagpur to jalna roads are bad ..... any other stretch i should be worried off??
Actually the roads were never that, bad but this year nagpur and the surrounding areas have received a record rain which has also caused floods and that may have damaged roads so be cautious.

If you drive at constant 60 try to take very few brakes so that you can cover average 55 kms. Also driving at 60 can give a nice mileage and I am sure the abuse level for the vehicle will be pretty less.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Hi Guys,
I know this is late but I made my trip from Jamshedpur to Pune during the summers May, bad time to travel central India. Overall journey was around 1480 odd Kilometers.

We were 3 passengers, a Dog and loads of luggage.

We started from Jamshedpur by 8 AM and took the Chaibasa Road (The road that goes adjacent the Jamshedpur Railway Station). People coming from Adityapur can take the Outer Ring road,if needed. 90% of road is Good, guess its newly laid. (@Avin- Be careful with your Honda City as this route has some real Big Humps).

At Rairangpur, we reached a T Junction. People in Rairangpur could confuse a bit as both these roads leads to the AH 46. Turn Left!
We enter a small Ghat section after crossing Rairangpur. Petrol Pumps are limited in this area, so ensure to keep your tank full and tire pressure checked.

Throughout the way till Sambalpur, we never knew when we entered the National Highway (AH 46) as its a 2 lane road throughout. On the way we crossed a town called Kendhujar. After Crossing Kendhujar there is another Ghat section. The Ghat section is about 130 kms and average road conditions. We avoided stopping at the Ghat as it is a Maoist prone zone.

The other side of the Ghat is Deogarh (try taking a break here). Sambalpur is around 100 odd kilometer from Deogarh. Keep following the AH 46 (NH 51).

We stayed back in Sambalpur as I had urgent Client meeting that evening. We halted at Hotel Konark, as they were the only 1's who allowed Dogs. The owner of the hotel hospitable. The food was good. Room Conditions were above average.

Halting at Sambalpur turned out to be a good decision, as 60% of the road from Sambalpur to Raipur was in a horrible condition, 20% was still under construction and remaining 20% was good.
My advise- If one reaches Sambalpur after 4 pm, try to avoid continuing to Raipur, until you like taking risk.

Next Day morning, we started from Sambalpur around 5 am. We reached Raipur around 12 noon. Though Sambalpur to Raipur is only 250 kms, it takes more that 6 hours due to bad roads. The Orissa-Chhattisgarh border (around 100 kms from Sambalpur), after crossing Luhurachatti, is heavily crowded by trucks. Luckily we did not get stuck there. The Road after crossing border is good. Highway construction was still in progress in many places. We took a quick pit stop at Raipur and headed towards Bhilai. Though Raipur- Bhilai road is a four lane, it was still crowded. So it took us around an hour to reach Bhilai.

Bhilai and Durg are twin cities. So we decided to take a break after Durg.
Probably about 10 to 15 kms from Durg, there is a lovely Dhaba (I suppose its called 'Khalsa Dhaba') towards the other side of the road, beside a small lake, a perfect place to relax. The food out there was excellent. We ended up spending around two & half hours out there, relaxing. We started from there around 5:30 pm. First 100 kms of the road from the Dhaba was excellent, however when we entered Maharashtra the road narrowed and the traffic increased. We reached Nagpur around 10 pm.

The sad part starts here. As it was already late, we packed some food from one of the local restaurants in Nagpur. We could not find a place to halt in Nagpur that allowed Dogs. We could not leave the Dog in the Car all alone. So we decided to continue our journey until Amravati and try for some hotels around that place. So we went ahead of Nagpur. All of us were so exhausted of heat & the traveling, that we parked the car near the 1st Toll Plaza after Nagpur and slept inside the car that night. (@Avin: do not do the same mistake. There are a lot of Hotels in and around Nagpur )

Next day morning around 5 am we freshened up, had tea at the nearby tea stall in the plaza and resumed our journey. The dawn was beautiful and the weather was pleasant. After Amravati we took the Sate Highway. As the National Highway to Aurangabad was still under construction in many places, the National Highway Authority suggested us to take the Sate Highway. Though the roads were narrow 2 lane, they were in good condition all the way through. We took a pit stop at Dhaba in between Mehkar & Jalna.

From Jalna to Aurangabad is around 1 Hour. We reached Aurangabad around 1 pm. We stopped at Aurangabad for lunch at the Highway Gardens. Food was good and the hotel was clean. We left Aurangabad at 2 pm and reached Pune around 8 pm. We halted couple of times between Aurangabad to Pune as we were completely exhausted due to the heat and lack of proper sleep the previous night.

Overall Summary:

Jamshedpur to Sambalpur
Total Hours: 8 Hours
Road Condition: Good 80% | Average 20%
Pit Stop 1- Random Dhaba/ Tapri after crossing Rairangpur
Pit Stop 2- Hotel Konark, Sambalpur | Accommodation Rates: Rs.1500/- (for an A/c Double bedroom with Extra Bed & Dogs allowed)
Food at the Hotel: Good
Diesel Fueling Point: Filled the tank while starting from Jamshedpur

Sambalpur to Nagpur
Total Hours: 16 Hours
Road Condition: Good 20% | Average 20% | Horrible 20%
Pit Stop 3: Random Dhaba/ Tapri
Pit Stop 4: Random Dhaba/ Tapri after Luhurachatti Interstate Toll Plaza
Pit Stop 5: Khalsa Dhaba, Durg | Food Quality: Excellent
Accommodation in Nagpur: Take a list of Hotels from trip Advisor.
Diesel Fueling Point: Filled the tank at Luhurachatti, Rajnandgaon

Nagpur to Pune
Total Hours: 14 Hours
Road Condition: Good 80% | Average 20%
Pit Stop 6: Random Tapri after crossing Amravati
Pit Stop 7: Random Tapri after between Mehkar & Jalna
Pit Stop 8: Highway Gardern, Aurangabad | Food Quality: Good
Pit Stop 9: Smile Stone Cafe Coffee Day, before Ahmednagar
Pit Stop 10: Random Tapri before Shirur
Diesel Fueling Point: Filled the tank at Nagpur, Aurangabad, Ranjangaon

Very well written, short and sweet log. It is clear that roads before Raipur were bad, and still are bad. The problem is, these roads carry heavy load traffic and quality of roads built is very low. So new roads wont last long and condition remains same, PATHETIC.
When I did from Bangalore to Ranchi, I enquired before hand about hotels which allow pets. Worst case scenario would have been me sleeping in car with my pet. Lets start a thread which has details of hotels in India which allow pets.
One word of advise which I have missed out earlier on this thread and my travelogue too. Be cautious while stopping at any family restaurant on highways near Bhandara and Nagpur. Because these are bars as well. And I have seen people drinking at morning times also. People arguing, quarreling is a common site inside these bars.

@Kartha : Thanks a lot , really very good piece of information you shared . I will mostly stick to your plan . As it has been successfully implemented once .

@nozzle ring : Thanks for all the information . It really helped .

@Konkan Trip : Ya avg wont go more than 55 kms.Considering kartha's trip its a 38 hours drive . Will keep 3 days in hand as I will be driving alone .

My concern is by the time I start this trip next month , rains would have almost been over . And post rains the pot holes become craters . But since I have decided to drive it down I will have to face them .
If u come up with any other piece of info i would be great if u shared it .
I have done pune to mangalore, bangalore, hyderabad , aurangabad but mostly des roads were good .Lets see it will be a new experience for me .

Thread Starter #13
@ Nozzle Ring: Thank you! As suggested, we should start a Thread which has the details about the Hotels/ Accommodation's that allow Pets. [:)]

@ Avin: Are you planning a road Trip (leisure drive) or moving out of Jamshedpur to Pune.

Last edited:

Top Bottom