Trichy To Coimbatore

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

On 10 we have one of our college room mate's son birthday at Coimbatore. For that some of us are planning to join them.

We two are starting from Chennai to Trichy via Pallavan Express on 9th afternoon and reach Trichy around 9pm.

From there we are starting to Coimbatore in another friends car who is joining us there.

• I would like to know how the road is between Trichy to coimbatore.
  • is it 2 way road or 4 way road
  • how the traffic would be?
  • how long it will take if we go in 80 to 90 speed

Hi Friends,

On 10 we have one of our college room mate's son birthday at Coimbatore. For that some of us are planning to join them.

I guess 10th March it is.

We two are starting from Chennai to Trichy via Pallavan Express on 9th afternoon and reach Trichy around 9pm.

From there we are starting to Coimbatore in another friends car who is joining us there.

• is it 2 way road or 4 way road - Roads are usually 2 way. [evil]
  • how the traffic would be? - Check traffic conditions on Google maps before leaving home and plan the route accordingly.
  • how long it will take if we go in 80 to 90 speed - Distance/Speed = Time. Simple.
Please see my replies in bold.

freakdude.

Last edited:
Hi Sethu, the road from Trichy to Coimbatore is good, its a two way road, but you can glide freely as there would be less traffic after Karur(enroute Trichy)

You can reach in 2 to 3 hours, not sure about it though.

Thread Starter #4
Please see my replies in bold.

freakdude.
Thank you.

Yes it is 10th March.

Regarding 2 way/4 way I wanted to know is it a proper highway with center median [i am little bit concerned since I might be travelling in night both onward and return]

Regarding traffic, do we have that option in Google?

Sethu,

Trichy - Coimbatore road is good now. There may be some construction work in between but traffic is less and you can reach in three hours most likely.

Hi Friends,

• is it 2 way road or 4 way road
  • how the traffic would be?
  • how long it will take if we go in 80 to 90 speed
Roads are in good condition, except for the stretch near Trichy. It is mostly 2 lanes, but you will also drive on 4 ways and the last time I visited the toll booth was not operational.

Traffic is manageable for most part but Palladam, stretch from Sulur to L&T Bypass stretch are terrible and from there you are in city limits. Watch out for those Tippers carrying river sand.

In 3-3.5 hours, you could reach Coimbatore. My personal advice is don't go over 100 kph, 80-90 kph is safe for the road.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Yes it is 10th March.

Regarding 2 way/4 way I wanted to know is it a proper highway with center median [i am little bit concerned since I might be travelling in night both onward and return]

Regarding traffic, do we have that option in Google?
I was just in a naughty mood sethu sir so did that 2/4 way joke. Actually they are termed as lanes (2 lane / 4 lane). Please don't mind.

Yes, Google Maps have that feature. Just click on Traffic from the right side drop down and the map would be lighted with Green/Yellow/Red lines showing light/moderate/heavy traffic.

traffic.jpg

freakdude.

Last edited:
Sethu,

Beware of tippers and sand lorries till Karur.

Road is also narrow and some what bad till Karur.

After Karur, it is good road.

Sethu,

Beware of tippers and sand lorries till Karur.

Road is also narrow and some what bad till Karur.

After Karur, it is good road.
After you leave trichy upto 25kms is narrow and bad but after that the road is wider and newly laid. Like crazy cat said these tippers are a menace in this stretch.

Thread Starter #11
Thank you all guys. I will be care ful about those tippers. Normally if the road is not clear/safety i dont go beyond 80. That too in nights I do in normal speed.

Thanks freakdude about 2/4 lane and Google traffic. I don't mind learning new things after making mistake. so cool buddy.

Sethu

I remember driving down on this road during my Kerala trip and it was not so good that time. But it looks to be good now with the inputs of other members, but anyway

Check it out on 9th march once again, as the road conditions may change[:)]

Sethu

Check it out on 9th march once again, as the road conditions may change[:)]
The road has been laid just 8 months back, so there's no problem and its wider too(because my mom's native is in this stretch only so we do visit the place often).

For many years this road wasn't laid though it is an NH, people who travel in that road had a hard time with these private buses dominating the whole road, and for every alternative accidents happen, most of times its with the govt. buses.

Sethu Sir, after you leave Trichy after some 5 kms, the road is really small and on one side there's railway track and on the other river bank, please be cautious there as there's no place to pull over to the left either side.

Thread Starter #14
Vishwas, Thank for cautioning me.

Actually am worried for couple of following reasons

• Am taking this road for first time
  • Ride is going to be my friends beat not my sparky which am familiar with.
  • And the drive is going to be in night

Already my friend had told us that I have to drive between Trichy and Coimbatore on both ways [Since we have forced him to come down from Pudhukottai to Trichy to pick us[:)]]

Vishwas, Thank for cautioning me.

Actually am worried for couple of following reasons

• Am taking this road for first time
  • Ride is going to be my friends beat not my sparky which am familiar with.
  • And the drive is going to be in night

Already my friend had told us that I have to drive between Trichy and Coimbatore on both ways [Since we have forced him to come down from Pudhukottai to Trichy to pick us[:)]]
There's not much to worry about. The 2 lane stretches would be wider than normal. Even if you have oncoming vehicles overtaking, you will find space for three heavy vehicles to share space on many stretches. And regular (truck & some bus)drivers pull to the left, to let the vehicles overtaking them pass easily.

Top Bottom