Bangalore To Mumbai By Car

Thread Starter #1
Hi - I am planning for a road trip from Bangalore to Mumbai which was long pending... Here I have planned out the itinerary -

Day 1: Start BLR at 4:30AM & Reach Mumbai [Kandivali @ my bros place] by Dusk (1035 Kms)
Day 2: Rest & City tour
Day 3: Mumbai Darshan
Day 4: Mumbai to Trimbakeswar (185 Kms)
Day 4: Trimbakeswar to Shirdi (118 Kms)
Day 4: Shirdi to Shiganapur Mandir (75 Kms)
Day 4: Shiganapur Mandir to Pune & halt (165 Kms)
Day 5: Pune to BLR (865 Kms)

Travellers: Wifey & my 2 yr old daughter, my Father (72 yrs) & Mother (65 yrs)

Car: SX4 ZXi

Month of Travel: May 1st Week (Tentative)

Queries:
1) Do's & Dont's on the highway as I am travelling with my aged parents
2) Eateries/ fuel bunks on the highway
3) Bangalore to Mumbai is doable in 1 day??
4) Day4 looks bit of too much, please help me sort out the itinerary (remember I have only 5 days in total)
5) Help me with the road directions for day 4 itinerary
6) Essential things to carry

some things to save you time.

plan your journey so that you can avoid peak traffic hours in mumbai.

the traffic gets worse right from panvel in the evening.

also the traffic in evening along the western suburbs after say 7pm goes at along snails pace till 9pm.

that is my contribution for you to reach mumbai.

BLR to mumbai can be done in a day if planned better.
consider an average of 60kmph including stopping for breakfast , lunch and refreshments.

it can be done in (1035/60= 18 hours).

choosing the NH4, the average speeds maintained the journey can be done within 14 hours.

Thread Starter #5
Guys! please help me plan my itinerary from Mumbai to Trimbakeswar - Shirdi - Shani Shiganapur Mandir - Pune & rest. Can it be done in One day?? Appreciate your suggestions!!

Hi Sumitsd bangalore to mumbai is definitely achievable as the road via Pune is fabulous to drive. I suspect you would be using the Bangalore>>Belgaum>>Kolhapur>>Pune>>Mumbai. As others have mentioned Mumbai traffic in the peak hours are a nightmare especially after a long trip so if possible try to reach mumbai before the peak hours or travel on weekends.
As for the Mumbai to Trimbakeswar and Shirdi trip well travelling is possible but whether you can get the darshans all in a day is a little doubtful. I would suggest travel to Shirdi have a great darshan then travel to Shanishiganapur have your darshan there as well and then travel to Nashik rest next day visit trambakeshwar and then leave for Pune.

Have spaced out cause sometimes it might take long time for the darshan plus you are travelling with your aged parents and a child.

Hope this info helps and good luck for your trip [:)]

Thread Starter #7
Thanks ronz2507 for you valuable comments!! It will realy help me to plan my trip.

Further suggestions are welcome!!

I did Mumbai Bangalore last year in May in my polo left at 3 am reached outskirts of Bangalore at 4pm with total breaks of 1.5 hrs so I dont see any problem with your 1st leg at least . 80kph average in Karnataka is easily achievable maharashtra will be slower.

Guys! please help me plan my itinerary from Mumbai to Trimbakeswar - Shirdi - Shani Shiganapur Mandir - Pune & rest. Can it be done in One day?? Appreciate your suggestions!!
It will be difficult to do this in one day. I have been there 4 years back. There will be huge queues in Trimbakeshwar, and Shridi. You will be tired. If you are the only driver, please plan accordingly. Distance wise, yes you can.

The roads were not in gr8 conditions, when I was there. Not sure, how is it now? May be you can update us after your journey.

Best wishes.

Most time consuming spots are the tolls. Especially beware the one at Khambatki. I was stuck there for ~30 mins (at around 11 AM) as there was no clear marking of lanes and people were creating their own lanes till the booth.

Also, make sure you keep left at the start of Katraj ghat (take new one) otherwise you will have to take old ghat and will add delay.

Hemant

Last edited:
Sumit- Please have packed food all while your travel to Mumbai. There are a lot of restaurants but you will lose time to choose which is the good place to eat.
Also, Please keep energy drinks for yourself for this journey.

Forgot to add:

Have something for protection form sun. I use the nets (with suction cup) or even white cotton towels on rear windows (where my kid and wife sit on long travels).

Note: I have on rare occasions felt using towels on rear windows impact rear visibility especially on close overtakings. Nets are better but still need to be careful.

Hemant

Thread Starter #13
Thanks rekharam, Yes you are right! Infact I was also thinking the same way...
"Change of Plan" - I will skip Trimbakeswar & straight do the Shirdi & Shani Shiganapur Mandir darshan & proceed for Pune. I believe this is doable!!

Sumit- Just a suggestion. Shani Shiganapur is a true waste of time now. All you have to do it buy what ever the shop guys sell and put the Oil onto a kinda conveyor belt which will directly pour onto the Shani Idol. You cant even get close to the god to pray.
Better avoid that and visit some thing else.
Again Its Just my suggestion.

Bangalore to Mumbai is doable in 1 day if you start very early. Try to start at 4 am or earlier. The most time consuming places in the highways are the toll-gates which are quite a few.

Since you are traveling in May have lots of water and fluid in your car. For heat protection you can use rolling shades or screens but beware they just tend to block your vision specially on Highway.

All the best for your trip.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Top Bottom