Weekend Travel within 200 Km Radius of Bangalore.

Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends,

I am planning my first outing with my Punto in coming April. Staying in Bangalore for last 7+ years but still donot know much of the surrounding area.

Facts:

1> Start and end point : Bangalore
2> within 200km from bangalore
3> want to spend 2-3 days with full family.
4> Not looking for expensive stay.
5> Ghat road : NO (as I am still not expert driver)
6> Want to avoid popular place (OOty, coorg : NO)
7> Time: Mid-april

If you can guide such place it will be really nice for me.

Thanks for your time and effort in advance.

You can do places around Mysore.

There are many places around Mysore, like Dariya Daulat Bagh near Srirangapattana of Tippu Sultan.

KRS Dam, there are many Water theme parks as well on this stretch before you proceed to mysore.

Mysore bypass also has GRS fantasy park.

Then based on your inputs i can suggest some more.

What type of places you want to avoid?

As I had the same queries few months back with 'no expert in Indian roads' , was searching a lot.

Am not a fan of historical things. So we were looking for some place where we can see greenery / feel fresh than listening to year which someone did something :)

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is one i would love to go again (Visited twice). Once in an Avenger and next time in swift dzire. Good thing is - Mysore road (4 lanes).
Then, Mysore garden. The greenery is too good and seen less or no couple indulging in activities like Cubbon Park/Lalbagh! We do not go to these places just because of these 'activities' ! You will feel fresh if you visit mysore garden.

Lepakshi (Andhra) -140KM from bangalore. Hebbal - Airport road - and before ananthpur, you have to take left and go 13km or so inside. There is a lot of historical value which i was not interested. You will be amazed with the stone carvings /surroundings. I really liked it better than Belur !
Again good thing is - Highway - 4 lane road.

Belur - Halebid -> It is in Hassan - Chikmagalur road. Not a bad road till Hassan. Then you need to go a bit on narrow road (not too narrow too)
From Belur, you can go to Halebid in 13km or so . Lot of historical value. But i just enjoyed the drive . I still prefer lepakshi over this place. Do not know why !

Ooty -> I think you might have avoided ooty because of the Hair pin bends. If yes, then take the longer road thru Gudalur. It is so scenic and driving is easily done. I did it without any pain :) . You can also easily do it. I read 1000s of posts before finalizing the route. I didnt want to drive that 36 hairpin bends. So, chose the other route and was really a scenic place. You enjoy more on the way than in Ooty.

Hoganekal : - It may be good when it rains. When we visited in jan, there was not so much water. Road - We took a longer route where you have 4 lines except the last 30Km. Didnt like the place as it was just 'local guys' coming back of you asking massaging. Fishes looks great, but tastes differently it seems. Did not try after seeing my bro's face while he was eating.

Yercad also is in my list. Still not sure about the 'width' of road. So bit skeptical. Not tried.

Sravanabelagola is another place if you want to cilmb many steps. Personally, didnt like the place. Road is superb towards thumkur/mangalore side

Last edited:

Top Bottom