Road Trip To Nepal. Suggestions Please!!

Thread Starter #1
Hi Petrol Heads,

We are planning on taking a road trip to Nepal in Sept-Oct 2013.
I have read that we can take our own cars into Nepal with some formalities at the border.
I would request help from you guys on any kind of information/details I would need to know before taking up the trip.

Mods,

If there is a relevant thread for the same, please feel free to move this thread accordingly.

Thanks in advance.
Fyzy

Re: Road trip to Nepal.. Suggestions please!!

Interesting, out of nation in a car. Will you drive from banglore to nepal?

Thread Starter #3

Yes, thats the plan. [glasses] Whats your take on it??
However, I need to make sure that we can take my car into Nepal.
Some stuff on the internet claims that we could, needless to say that it would take up a lot more research than just a couple of post.

I dont know about that but isnt the trip too long? I mean banglore is not close to nepal bro.
Would be fun though.

Yes, thats the plan. [glasses] Whats your take on it??
However, I need to make sure that we can take my car into Nepal.
Some stuff on the internet claims that we could, needless to say that it would take up a lot more research than just a couple of post.
Hi,
a friend of mine drove down to Nepal Border from Kanpur, and had a good time, he was with his family & friends.

at the border they give you a visa on arrival, no need to carry passport, just proof id like DL/Voter ID, they accept INR, and are courteous. there are a couple of banks before the border, so take enough cash.

I as a child in the 70's, have been to Nautanwa at least 1/2 times a month, which is just 50Km from Gorakhpur, when my father was posted there, in those days we used to go for shopping and sightseeing.

regards
Vinod

Thread Starter #6

I dont know about that but isnt the trip too long? I mean banglore is not close to nepal bro.
Would be fun though.
Yes bro, it would indeed be long to drive at a stretch. We would have to halt somewhere near Allahabad or Varanasi overnight and start early morning next day and pull it till we reach Nepal.

It would certainly be fun. [:D]

Thread Starter #7

Hi,
a friend of mine drove down to Nepal Border from Kanpur, and had a good time, he was with his family & friends.

at the border they give you a visa on arrival, no need to carry passport, just proof id like DL/Voter ID, they accept INR, and are courteous. there are a couple of banks before the border, so take enough cash.

I as a child in the 70's, have been to Nautanwa at least 1/2 times a month, which is just 50Km from Gorakhpur, when my father was posted there, in those days we used to go for shopping and sightseeing.

regards
Vinod
Hi Vinod,

First of all, welcome to TAI [:D]

That was very informative, could you please elaborate on what happens at the border? Are the roads till Nepal and into it drivable?

Read someplace that for Indian Nationals, no Visa is required. [surprise]
What was his experience with the cops at the borders?

Any other information in this regard will be a great help bro.

Thanks again.[clap]

I guess none other than hvkumar sir can give you information on this.

HVK sir can we have your attention here??

Hi Vinod,

First of all, welcome to TAI [:D]

That was very informative, could you please elaborate on what happens at the border? Are the roads till Nepal and into it drivable?

Read someplace that for Indian Nationals, no Visa is required. [surprise]
What was his experience with the cops at the borders?

Any other information in this regard will be a great help bro.

Thanks again.[clap]
My suggestion, first decide where you want to go in Nepal, as you can enter Nepal from UP, Utrakhand, Bihar, WB.

If you decide to go to Nautanwa which borders Gorakhpur in UP, then plan accordingly.

I ment visit permit NOT VISA...according to my friend the roads are excellent, and cops cooperative...its just like any Indian State but better organised.

all the best

Thread Starter #10

Okie. Thats nice to know.
I will work on the drive routes and will get back to you for further details.

Thanks Vinod. [:D]

yes you can

I have taken my car into nepal a few times...three are just a few formalities at the border..and they let you in.my suggestion would be to drive into Nepal from U P and come out from W B that way you can view almost half of Nepal.

Thread Starter #12

I guess none other than hvkumar sir can give you information on this.

HVK sir can we have your attention here??
That is very true mukeshus,
However, I haven't seen HVK Sir active on this forum for a long time now. [cry]

Thread Starter #13
Re: yes you can

I have taken my car into nepal a few times...three are just a few formalities at the border..and they let you in.my suggestion would be to drive into Nepal from U P and come out from W B that way you can view almost half of Nepal.
Vivek,

Can you please give me more details on what formalities needs to be taken care at the border? [confused]
UP, yes that our entry point. Not decided on the exit point yet. Still working on it.

I too was planning to do this trip, however couldnt do so due to lack of time and ofcourse the Vitamin M. One of my colleague did this trip (from Ranchi). Here a list of documents you must carry.

• Complete set of car papers (RC book, PUC, Insurance etc)
  • Pan Card/Adhaar Card or any other identity which confirms your identity.
  • Driving License
  • Passport (Not necessary, but my friend did carry it, though he wasnt asked to produce at any point).

From what he told me, as soon as you enter the checkpoint (entry at Nepal), you are given a temporary registration number for your car which would enable you to roam around in the country without any hiccups.

Thread Starter #15
I too was planning to do this trip, however couldnt do so due to lack of time and ofcourse the Vitamin M. One of my colleague did this trip (from Ranchi). Here a list of documents you must carry.

• Complete set of car papers (RC book, PUC, Insurance etc)
  • Pan Card/Adhaar Card or any other identity which confirms your identity.
  • Driving License
  • Passport (Not necessary, but my friend did carry it, though he wasnt asked to produce at any point).

From what he told me, as soon as you enter the checkpoint (entry at Nepal), you are given a temporary registration number for your car which would enable you to roam around in the country without any hiccups.
Akash,

Thank you for the details. [:)]
Should all the documents be in original?
I was also told that we would have to pay 300 rs into the number of days we are planning to stay in Nepal in advance. Is this true??

Top Bottom