Delhi To Manali - Best Route?

Thread Starter #1
Friends I am driving to Manali from Delhi on 29th. Some of my friends have suggested that the Delhi Manali highway is under construction and there is heavy flow of traffic ( Trucks) in that route. So the best route will be via Shimla. It will be great if someone can suggest if this is true. I do not mind driving a little longer but getting stuck in a jam and bad roads are not my forte. Also I am planning to halt at Ambala and then move on next day to Manali. I will be on a Punto Diesel.

Your suggestions will be much counted. thanks :-)

Friends I am driving to Manali from Delhi on 29th. Some of my friends have suggested that the Delhi Manali highway is under construction and there is heavy flow of traffic ( Trucks) in that route. So the best route will be via Shimla. It will be great if someone can suggest if this is true. I do not mind driving a little longer but getting stuck in a jam and bad roads are not my forte. Also I am planning to halt at Ambala and then move on next day to Manali. I will be on a Punto Diesel.

The best route is as below:

Take NH1 from Delhi -> Panipat -> Ambala -> After crossing Ambala station, there will be a fork in the road; one goes to Ludhiana the other goes to Chandigarh; Take the Ludhiana route - > after about 4 kms there is a Toll Booth; just 200m before that take a right. This road will take you through a Chandigarh bypass road towards Rupnagar -> RoopNagar -> Ambala -> Swarghat -> Bilaspur -> Mandi -> Kullu -> Manali

You can also refer Google Maps before the journey.

delhi - panipat - ambala - chandigarh - kharar - ropar(a.k.a roopnagar) - kiratpursahib - sawarghat - bilaspur - mandi - sundernagar - bhuntar - kullu - manali.

Going via shimla will be a wastage of time plus you'l definitely find bad roads with big pot holes from both the roads.
Just for precaution: while driving in manali avoid sudden brake or fast driving as this time During winters roads will be covered with icey layer which is not clearly visible.

All the best brother and have a safe journey.

Hi,

Could you please share your experience as I also have plans to visit Manali soon .

Thanks
Sunil

Gurgaon To Manali - Information Needed

Mods: I couldn't find any particular thread on this topic so started a new one which can be updated as and when required by members. But please merge if a thread already exits for the said purpose. Thanks

So guys I am planning to do a trip to Manali from Gurgaon during second week of February by road. Also I am planning to do Gurgaon - Manali in a single day with an early start and I'll be driving my XUV 5OO with my better half (WIFEY). So need some inputs and information for the same.
1. Does it usually snow in Manali during that period (2nd week of feb)?
2. Does anyone know the current road conditions to Manali, did someone visit Manali recently who can put more light on this?
3. What are the places that we can visit in Manali or maybe nearby?
4. Any suggestions for a good and decent accommodations?
5. Any suggestions on places for journey breaks for lunch, tea etc.
5. Last not the least Which route to take? I am planning to take the following route as of now, but please let me know if there is a better route than this.

Gurgaon-Delhi-Sonipat-Panipat-Ambala-Chandigarh-Kirtpur Sahib-Swarghat-Bilaspur-Ghagas-Mandi-Sundernagar-Bhunter-Kullu-Manali.

Hey,

I am planning for a road trip to manali from Delhi in the month of May so please help me with below things:-

1. Which car would be the best for 4 pax?
2. Best route to follow?
3. Best place to stay at manali?
4. Journey time from Delhi to Manali?
5. Things to carry for stay at manali?
6. Please comment on the weather and road conditions for the month of May.

Thanks in advance

1. Whichever one you feel more comfortable sitting and driving in narrow road - although roads are no longer that narrow, they are in excellent condition.

2. Route gave above in the post.

3. Many Hotels across from the Main Market on another side of the Beas River.

4. 15 Hours Minimum - You will have to make a Stop for a night somewhere - Dont drive at Night.

5. If you are on a budget, carry usual food etc, warm clothes for rohtang pass - don't get fooled into renting long coats in manali itself.

6. Weather In May will be good, not so cold and Rohtang Pass will be open so you will abe able to visit it - Road to Rohtang will be messy as you get higher.

Hey,

I am planning for a road trip to manali from Delhi in the month of May so please help me with below things:-

1. Which car would be the best for 4 pax?
2. Best route to follow?
3. Best place to stay at manali?
4. Journey time from Delhi to Manali?
5. Things to carry for stay at manali?
6. Please comment on the weather and road conditions for the month of May.

Thanks in advance

1. chose a car with high ground clearance with good cabin space
2. vaya baba balak nath it have road conditions are superb (dont drive there in night because of wild animals)
3. choose any but first check the room,blanket and most of the hotels have dirty rooms
4.around 15 to 19 hours
5.most of the road is good vaya my route

beware from local cabs for rohtang they force you for to take warm cloth on rent
choose good travel agent on mall road for rohtang [glasses]

Top Bottom