With the winter vacations just round the corner, I am planning a small road trip from 24th to 27th of December. Initially, had planned Jaipur but just realised that this is the perfect time (winters) to visit Keolodeo Sanctuary, Bharatpur. So, here's what I am planning:-
People - Six adults and Four kids (Three families)
Vehicles - Honda Civic and Honda City (Five in each)
Planned itinerary 24th Dec (Monday)
- Depart Delhi (Dhaula Kuan) at 0700h. Hit Jaipur via NH-8. Aim to reach by 1200h. Rest of the day dedicated to let the ladies shop till they drop (We are staying near Amer Fort). Once shopping is out of the way, we can then peacefully get on with the trip. Plan to head out to Apno Gaon for dinner that night. 25th Dec (Tuesday)
- Dedicated to seeing Jaipur (Hawa Mahal, Amer Fort etc). Plan to hire an Innova for the same so that all hassles of parking etc are taken care of and we can concentrate on the Rajput Glory! 26th (Wednesday)
- Plan to head out from Jaipur to Bharatpur by 0800h aiming to reach Bharatpur by 1100h. Not too sure about the rest of the day at Bharatpur. We may delay departure from Jaipur in case there is nothing much to do in Bharatpur. 27th (Thursday)
- Hit the National Park by 0700h and take a tour hiring cycle rickshaws. I plan to take a cycle for myself. Set course for Delhi by 1200h to 1300h. Plan to hit Mathura and then route via Yamuna Expressway. Aim to reach Del before 1700h. Queries :- Roads
1. Del Jaipur by NH8 - Anyone who has recently travelled may update the present condition. I have heard some stretches are bad due to ongoing construction. Are they so bad as to warrant a change of route to one via Tijara and Alwar?
2. Is catering for five hours sufficient time to reach Jaipur considering departure at 0700h or is there some merit in advancing the departure time?
3. Condition of Jaipur Bharatpur Highway. Is it divided and four laned all through? Also, I read in an earlier thread by Shailinder that the condition of Mathura - Bharatpur road (SH33, if I am not mistaken) was horrendous. Can someone update the present state? (I am worried about the Civic!!) Jaipur
1. Suggestions for must see places in Jaipur.
2. Is it worthwhile to take our own cars for going around Jaipur instead of hiring an Innova or something (in terms of finding a parking at the places of interest)? Bharatpur
1. Plan to stay at RTDC hotel (Hotel Saras) near the park. They only have non AC accommodation available. Though AC is not really needed now, requirement is that it should have neat rooms and clean washrooms. No frills required at all. Can someone suggest other alternates near the sanctuary (Budget not more that Rs.1200-1300 per room.)(I have explored and rejected ITDC Ashok in Keoladeo - too pricey).
2. Suggestions on itinerary for 26th Dec after reaching Bharatpur at noon.
3. I plan to carry my cycle (after dismantling it) in my car boot (I have a Trek 3700) and plan to use it in Bharatpur. The question is do thay permit outsider bicycles or do you have to hire it compulsorily from them. I plan to cycle and the rest will be on rickshaws.
Oh yes, any suggested changes in the itinerary are also welcome (Dates of departure (24th) and arrival (27th) are fixed, though
Any help will be highly appreciated!