Trip to Jaipur and Keoladeo Ghana Sanctuary - Need Suggestions

Thread Starter #1
With the winter vacations just round the corner, I am planning a small road trip from 24th to 27th of December. Initially, had planned Jaipur but just realised that this is the perfect time (winters) to visit Keolodeo Sanctuary, Bharatpur. So, here's what I am planning:-

People - Six adults and Four kids (Three families)
Vehicles - Honda Civic and Honda City (Five in each)

Planned itinerary
24th Dec (Monday) - Depart Delhi (Dhaula Kuan) at 0700h. Hit Jaipur via NH-8. Aim to reach by 1200h. Rest of the day dedicated to let the ladies shop till they drop (We are staying near Amer Fort). Once shopping is out of the way, we can then peacefully get on with the trip. Plan to head out to Apno Gaon for dinner that night.
25th Dec (Tuesday) - Dedicated to seeing Jaipur (Hawa Mahal, Amer Fort etc). Plan to hire an Innova for the same so that all hassles of parking etc are taken care of and we can concentrate on the Rajput Glory!
26th (Wednesday) - Plan to head out from Jaipur to Bharatpur by 0800h aiming to reach Bharatpur by 1100h. Not too sure about the rest of the day at Bharatpur. We may delay departure from Jaipur in case there is nothing much to do in Bharatpur.
27th (Thursday) - Hit the National Park by 0700h and take a tour hiring cycle rickshaws. I plan to take a cycle for myself. Set course for Delhi by 1200h to 1300h. Plan to hit Mathura and then route via Yamuna Expressway. Aim to reach Del before 1700h.

Queries :-

Roads
1. Del Jaipur by NH8 - Anyone who has recently travelled may update the present condition. I have heard some stretches are bad due to ongoing construction. Are they so bad as to warrant a change of route to one via Tijara and Alwar?
2. Is catering for five hours sufficient time to reach Jaipur considering departure at 0700h or is there some merit in advancing the departure time?
3. Condition of Jaipur Bharatpur Highway. Is it divided and four laned all through? Also, I read in an earlier thread by Shailinder that the condition of Mathura - Bharatpur road (SH33, if I am not mistaken) was horrendous. Can someone update the present state? (I am worried about the Civic!!)

Jaipur
1. Suggestions for must see places in Jaipur.
2. Is it worthwhile to take our own cars for going around Jaipur instead of hiring an Innova or something (in terms of finding a parking at the places of interest)?

Bharatpur
1. Plan to stay at RTDC hotel (Hotel Saras) near the park. They only have non AC accommodation available. Though AC is not really needed now, requirement is that it should have neat rooms and clean washrooms. No frills required at all. Can someone suggest other alternates near the sanctuary (Budget not more that Rs.1200-1300 per room.)(I have explored and rejected ITDC Ashok in Keoladeo - too pricey).
2. Suggestions on itinerary for 26th Dec after reaching Bharatpur at noon.
3. I plan to carry my cycle (after dismantling it) in my car boot (I have a Trek 3700) and plan to use it in Bharatpur. The question is do thay permit outsider bicycles or do you have to hire it compulsorily from them. I plan to cycle and the rest will be on rickshaws.

Oh yes, any suggested changes in the itinerary are also welcome (Dates of departure (24th) and arrival (27th) are fixed, though[roll])
Any help will be highly appreciated!

Thread Starter #2
Someone....Anyone??
Have two days to go and need some pointers please!! Its holiday season and don't want to land up without hotel reservations with wife and kids in tow!!

i had visited jaipur last year. spend a night at choki dani. its highly recommended. shopping at bapu bazar is a must. the clothes and leather goods are damn cheap. bargain, bargain & bargain.i would recommend you to hire a vehicle in jaipur for a hassle free experience. the keoladeo national park is a bird sanctuary. take binoculars and telephotolenses with you. why take your bicycle all the way from delhi if you can hire it? if you aren't a keen bird enthusiast nothing much to see in the park. i stayed in te govt guest house in the park itself. i also visited agra from bhrathpur. on the road from jaipur to bharathur watch out for unannounced humps. the roads were god last year though.

Thread Starter #4
i had visited jaipur last year. spend a night at choki dani. its highly recommended. shopping at bapu bazar is a must. the clothes and leather goods are damn cheap. bargain, bargain & bargain.i would recommend you to hire a vehicle in jaipur for a hassle free experience. the keoladeo national park is a bird sanctuary. take binoculars and telephotolenses with you. why take your bicycle all the way from delhi if you can hire it? if you aren't a keen bird enthusiast nothing much to see in the park. i stayed in te govt guest house in the park itself. i also visited agra from bhrathpur. on the road from jaipur to bharathur watch out for unannounced humps. the roads were god last year though.
Thanks a ton, smooth rider. I did go through your wonderfully written travelogue of December last.
At Jaipur, we are staying over with some friends so Choki Dhani will be a visit only. However, Bharatpur was the issue. Though I cannot call myself a "Bird Enthusiast", I do plan on some photography with my basic SLR gear. Thanks for the heads up, I'll certainly watch out for the bumps on Jaipur Bharatpur stretch. We don't plan a stopover at Agra but we do plan on visiting Fatehpur Sikri from Bharatpur.
Thanks a ton, once again for your valuable inputs.

if going to fatehpur sikri, the road etiquette in UP is very bad. watchout for jugads. they come from any sides, no head lights, over laden with people/ goods.bikes too are a terror on the roads.

Thread Starter #6
if going to fatehpur sikri, the road etiquette in UP is very bad. watchout for jugads. they come from any sides, no head lights, over laden with people/ goods.bikes too are a terror on the roads.
Hey, smooth rider, thanks for the heads up! Yes, the infamous Jugaads - nifty pieces of Indian ingenuity but certainly the most feared objects on Indian roads. In all circumstances, the Jugaad driver has the right of way because in case of a collision, he has nothing much to lose! But I am familiar with Jugaads (and hence vary of them), got exposed to them during many of my trips in UP and more recently, during a trip to Gwalior.

And yes, after waiting for inputs, I have finally booked in Kadamb Kunj Resort in Bharatpur. Lets see how it works out.

Now, the only job left for tomorrow is to top up nitrogen in tires and tank up. Will be off day after, hopefully by 0700h in the morning![glasses]

Thread Starter #9
Reached Jaipur. Quick update of the drive. Departure delayed to 0745h due to a fogged out Delhi.
Started with this
20121224083459_28.24730_76.81659_1000000.jpg
Ended in this
20121224084510_28.22755_76.80198_1000000.jpg
To get out of this mess, went off the road sides on to the mud and hit the undersurface three times(almost like one for each wheel). The second hit was pretty loud and hurtful (to heart) but since she is holding up, no major damage, I guess.

Finally, had this, which was pretty pleasurable.
20121224130724_27.29746_75.95842_1000002.jpg
Had a close shave when two idiots on a bike jumped through a cut in the divider without even looking left. Since I always keep my foot off accelerator when crossing such cuts in the divider, I braked hard and decelerated from 100 in quick time to save them and my car!
In Jaipur, ladies raided Bapu Bazaar. Now with shopping firmly out of the way, its time for a some history lessons today!

Top Bottom