Bangalore - Palakkad - Trip on 22nd Dec - Road Conditions

Thread Starter #1
All,

I am planning for a three day visit to my native,Thiruvazhiyode (Palakkad Dist), Kerala. Just wanted to know about the road conditions. I am aware of the deviations after Salem,i guess. If there is anything else that needs to be looked into.

Also, I am planning to leave early morning by 4 or Maximum 5 am. Is it a good time to start considering the fog early morning.

Do let me know all your suggestions.

Last edited:
There should not be any problem.

And you are aware of the diversions after Erode.

You need not start so early if there is fog in Bangalore.

If you start at 7:00 AM, can reach Thiruvazhiyode for evening tea with normal sedate driving (including lunch and break fast halts)

Just drive.

May encounter traffic jam in Walayar checkpost depending on the day.

Check about this and there is a possibility of taking a diversion at Chavady and go via Velanthalvalam, Menonpara, to reach Kanchikode.

Diversion required only if there is severe traffic jam at Walayar.

Thread Starter #4
Hey autosafari, expected your reply first and I am not mistaken. Thanks for the suggestions though. I am unaware of any diversions after walayar check post because I just know one single road to reach my place. And yes, I am aware of the diversions after Erode. I guess there is a new fly over which has come up so I just have to keep heading straight. And talking about halts, I am not much of a "halting" person per se. I ll have a bag full of cashews and other dry fruits so that should keep me going.
Anything else you want me to keep in check before I start tomorrow?

Thread Starter #6
Perfect, so that sums it up. I ll update the pics with all the other specifics once i reach Bangalore on the 25th.
Also, a long pending update and pics are remaining on my recent Mumbai and Alibaug trip . That would also be done once I am back.
Thanks again Autosafari.

@ rajeev0508

I usually drive to Bangalore to take my flights and roads are wonderful except the stretch between Avinashi and L&T by-pass and after that till Walayar.But I was told that the later has been patched up decently. I do this in about seven to eight hours.

Also be aware of the diversion immediately after Salem to coimbatore.The other one goes to Chennai i Guess.

Just before palakkad, you will find a newly finished Kozhikkode by-pass which will take you to Olavakkode.Look for sign board [To kozhikkode]some where after Car Palace/Car beauty. Don't enter palakkad town and stress yourself.

Wishing you a safe and enjoyable journey.

Thread Starter #8
Manoj, thanks for that useful insight. One more small doubt. If I take the Palakkad town by pass road, are there enough road signs stating me to divert back to Olavakkod, because as you told, I really dont want to stress myself out by entering Palakkad Town. Also, can you tell me the exact location of that By Pass? Is it after that Hotel Sri Chakra?

Manoj, thanks for that useful insight. One more small doubt. If I take the Palakkad town by pass road, are there enough road signs stating me to divert back to Olavakkod, because as you told, I really dont want to stress myself out by entering Palakkad Town. Also, can you tell me the exact location of that By Pass? Is it after that Hotel Sri Chakra?
It is after the junction where you leave NH 47 [chandranagar] go striaght and ask some one for the kozhikkode/olavakkode by-pass. Once you are on the by-pass just keep going striaght till you reach Olavakkode.

Top Bottom