Planning for a New Year eve visit to Himachal or Garhwal from Delhi

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am planning for a New Year eve visit to Himachal or Garhwal from Delhi. I have seen Shimla, Nainital, and Mussoriee and would be driving my car from Delhi to the location I decide / you suggest.

I would be travelling with children (8yrs and 5yrs) and they are very interested in seeing snow (snow fall if possible). Please suggest any place in Himanchal or Garhwal within drivable distance in a day (Max 10 hours drive as a single driver) and easy to reach (Road conditions are good) with snow or probability of visiting nearby place with Snow around December 31st.

Sooner you suggest is better because we need to book the accommodation as well.

Thanks in advance.

"Bahoot Kharcha Hone Wala Hai" - It is going to be an expensive affair.[lol]

Thread Starter #3
Thanks pka11. But it would like visiting Shimla because Shimla is not far of from Shoghi. [:)] And we might end up visiting Shimla which will be too crowded during that time.

Thread Starter #4
Common TAI'ians. What happened, no one seems to have any idea about these places this time. [surprise]

Any views on McLeodganj / Dharamshala or Dalhousie..Main criteria is snow and / or snow fall.

Last edited:
Sorry Shailinder, i have no idea about the place, but good to know that you will be going out for the trip to celebrate the new year. I will have to remain captive at my Project site[frustration].

Thread Starter #6
Oh that is really bad Akash. But stay hopeful that lot of people might go somewhere and you and I would get emple time reading them here because I am not getting any suggestion out here. [anger]

Common TAI'ians. What happened, no one seems to have any idea about these places this time. [surprise]

Any views on McLeodganj / Dharamshala or Dalhousie..Main criteria is snow and / or snow fall.
Just checked out the locations mentioned by you. I feel the snowfall must have started by now, and you kids will definitely get the chilly fun of snow. Other places like Shimla, Manali, i guess yo uhave already visited in past.
Hope the [anger] has eased out a bit.

Hi Shailinder,

You can go for shimla & Narkanda both but due to heavy snowfall the driving conditions are not so good even in UK (Uttrakhand) you can go for Kausani near almora bt I would not suggest you to drive this time you will face some serious issues in hills specially when you are single driver.

Just check the Landsdowne & Tadkeshwar mahadev temple (40 km from lansdowne). Its simple 5 to 7 hours drive mostly in plains. There is chance you will get the little bit snow over there or near by places.

Regards,
Aditaya

One more destination & you will get the snow for sure "Chopta, UK". Delhi to Chopta about 400 KM one side. Hope this helps!!

Regards,
Aditaya

Hi Shailinder, if you are planning to visit Shimla just for the snowfall, you can take a hotel near to Kufri or Fagu as snow is still present there and if you are lucky enough you can get lots n lots of snow till new year. But being a tourist spot, hotels will be a bit expensive there. Or you can take a hotel near to Shimla so that you can take a tour of Shimla city and you can drive next day towards Kufri. As suggested by akapoor if you are more interested to do skiing you can plan to visit Narkanda which will be around 65kms away from Shimla & 49 Kms from Kufri. Just for precaution avoid to drive early in the morning and late night because of the snow on the road which is very slippery at that time. [:)]

Shalinder i myself was planning for the new year to some hill station and this time snow is in my mind. If its snow then for sure some snow activities like sledging and skiing will add to the fun. I had shortlisted Shimla, Mscleodganj and Manali. After a lot of research and some advice from friends who are regulars to the hills, I have shortlisted Manali. For sure the chances of snow are very strong, if not in Manali, towards rohtang. Also the drive is fantastic for someone who likes to drive. SO I have booked my stay from 30th to 1st in Manali. I will be driving out from Delhi early on saturday morning with my friend. We are taking a Punto Diesel. Hope the trip is worth it and looking forward to lots of fun and snow. So I would suggest you Manali. Your children will love it :-)

+1 to mads2849, Manali will be a good choice as you people will be having a lot of snow activities to do there. But unfortunately Rohtang is closed by now because of the snowfall. And between Manali, Mcleodganj & Shimla i will suggest you to for to Manali.
You can check this link in FB, Contact person is Pankaj Sharma and his cell no. is also mentioned on the page: Himalayan extreme trips | Facebook
Hope you guys will enjoy to the fullest. [:)]

Hi Sorry for being late on suggestions on Garhwal & Humachal. I am emotionally attached to both.

Would suggest Gahrwal as you need a 10 hour drive. In Himachal by that time max to max you will reach Simla.

Try this place called HARSIL. This is between Uttarkashi and Gangotri. Amazing place. Try the GMVN lodge which is where the Ganga hits and takes a deviation. There is also a place called Dharali just 10 km ahead which has cottage / tent accomodation. But not sure if they will be operational now.

Promise you, you will forget Switzerland, that is if you have visited or will ever visit.

In all probabilities you might get snow.

Let me know fast if you find it not to your liking. Will suggest other places.

Someone has suggested Chopta. That is also marvelous if tagged with the 3 km Tunganath & Chandrashila trek. Snow is guaranteed out here. But stay options are limited or may be absent. Would be a stretch for your kids. You might need to stay at a place called Dogalbhitta which is 20 km away from Chopta, but you need to book the PWD stay out there. Or else you need to stay in Guptakashi and come to Chopta.

Please check HARSIL first and let me know

Last edited:
My 2 cents . 25 dec to 31 dec is peak tourist season.
1. Dharamshala ( meclodganjh) as iam from dharamshala I can tell you that its a nice place but as you mention that snowfall is your main priority then you have to be lucky for that , last year there is plenty of snowfall so hope for the best yes one more thing if you finalize dharamshala then a advice for you there are 2 roads for mecloadganj from dharamshala take main road not khada danda road main area where you can experience snow fall is naddi (dallake) road you can also visit palampur nice place approx 30 km from dharamshala.
2.manali a nice chill out place with plenty of snow fall main tourist attraction is hadimba mata
Bijlimahadev temple , solang valley do try the pizzas of illforno restaurant.
3.shimla the most crowded one but with many tourist attraction spot like already mention kufri naldera and do try the kukrajes and momos of krishna bakery , pastries of trishul bakery pasta and garlic bread of beekays regarding food there are many good restaurants like jashan , sharma ji , alfa and many more .
Be prepare your self for traffic jams And always keep some water bottles and chips chocolates in car so that kids don't get bored.
Best of journey in advance TC.

Last edited:

Top Bottom