Route Suggestions - Bangalore -> Kochi

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

I am planning on a trip to Kochi next month. The plan is to keep Kochi as the base and do some backwater cruise, Harbor cruise, ferry rides, a visit to Malayattoor, Cherai Beach, if possible Kodanad, Chendamangalam, Cheeyappara and Valara Waterfals.

The route I have in mind is Via Gudalur->Nadukani->Nilambur->Peromthalmanna->Pulamanthole->Pattambi->Shoranur->Wadakkancherry->Trichur->Kochi

Any input on the road condition/must see places near Kochi is most welcome.

Hi HR, Welcome to Gods on country. I have not much information about the route you mentioned till Thrissur.But from thrissur to all the places you mentioned have good/more than average condition roads available. Did you visited Athirrapilly waterfalls?If not it is best place to visit in Kerala. I am from Angamaly and if you required i can share more information on all the places you mentioned. BTW, I guess you know the Valara and Cheeyappara waterfalls are on the way to Munnar and Athirappilly and Vazachal is on the way to Valparai .Both are the famous hill destinations in kerala.

Thread Starter #3
@Releesh

The reason I chose the above route to kochi is that it passes through Bandipur, Mudumalai and Nadugani forests. I love driving through forests, a welcome change from city and high speed highways.

I have visited Athirappilly and Vazachal falls when I went to Valparai. I know the Valara and Cheeyappara waterfalls are on the way to Munnar. But are they very far from Kochi?How long will it take to drive down to the falls and back to kochi if I take the Muvattypuzha route? Google shows around 85 kms.

Last edited:
If you are coming through chalakudy-angamaly (NH) to Kochi, then you can go to Valara/cheeyapara water falls by taking left from Angamaly junction by MC road, then left from perumbavoor> Kothamangalam>Neriamangalam> waterfalls. You can visit these places and reach back in Angamaly/aluva within 5 hours. But these are not that big falls and these are 2 road side water falls,sometimes if not in the season,there are less chances to see water there.

You can plan the places lik these Thrissur-Angamaly-thuravoor-Chandrapura- malayattor-kalady- vallam(on the way to perumbavoor)-Kodanadu - vallam -perumbavoor-kothamangalam-neriamangalam-waterfalls-neriamangalam-kothamangalam-perumbavoor-aluva-paravoor junction- chendamangalam-cherai- thento kochi/other places or you can return to thrissur.

If you really intersted in other places, then you can also include Ezhattumugam(opp side ofThumboormuzhi), Buthathankettu,poru,elaveezhapunchira, Vagamon etc to your schedule

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the valuable info. Will sit and work out a schedule....

How are road/traffic conditions to these places, keeping in mind that I will be based in Fort Kochi. We also do not want it to be hectic as my aged mother-in-law will be with us.

Our main agenda will be boat rides and some shopping - my wife's.... (I am hoping it will be only window shopping/browsing, else I would be returning a very poor man [;)])

If it is not the season for the waterfalls, we might as well skip it. We had visited Valparai during the monsoon season and have seen the falls in their glory.

Malayattor, Kodanadu chendamangalam and cherai are on the cards.

I will google the other places that you have mentioned.

Thanks again for all the info.

Except in Kochi town, you will not face any traffic block and roads are good to the locations you mentioned.
If you are planning to stay in fort Kochi, then you can have boating and shopping in the Kochi itself. If not visiting Munnar 20KM away from falls,5 hour journey to visit Cheeyapara and Valara waterfalls only is not worth it.

While you visiting Malayattor church, you can have a bath in the Periyar river very near to the church and also if you interested you can visit the illithodu Mahaganithottam(Mahagani forest), which is famous south Indian film shooting place near to the periyar river side around 5 km from Malayttor. This is our small hogganakkal, even though there is no boat/fishing available.

Kodanadu is just opposite to Malayattor Church and you can reach there by the crossing the river in kadathu vanchi(Small boat). A new bridge is one the way here,will be ready by next year. If you need to visit the place in your car at least you have to travel another 20km through kalady-vallam-kodanadu

Last edited:
@Highway Ranger

I had been to Mysore and back to Palakkad there via nilambur -Nadukani route a few months ago. The roads were in excellent conditions. But it is the post monsoon season so do expect few rough patches especially near Nadukani. But its worth if you are looking for a relaxed trip , compared to boring krishnagir i-salem -coimbatore[L&T by pass] and then palakkad -ottapalam-shornur-trissur-route.

Its not worth to plan a trip from Kochi just to Valara waterfalls alone,though the roads should be above average. If you are planning a munnar trip those water falls can be covered along with Malayattur.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks again Releesh!

I will surely include Mahaganithottam. Sounds interesting. I think I will park the car by the church and cross over to Kodanudu.

@Manojodungat
Thank you for the route update. I will take this route. This route was suggested by a friend even though he has not traveled by this route.

I do not have any plans of visiting Munnar this time. I have already visited Munnar a few years back. So I will skip the 2 waterfalls this time.

shoranur-> Wadakkancherry. > thrissur route. are on good condition, I used to travel on shoranur->Wadakkancherry two weeks before and I am using Wadakkancherry - thrissur for every day and its fully rubberised.

Thread Starter #10
@ vinayan

Thanks for the route update. Appreciated.

@ Releesh

I need your guidance. I see that the Malayattoor Church and Mahagany Thottam are on one side of the Periyar river and Kodanadu and Panayeli Poru are on the other side. So, which will be the best approach?

Option A
I go to Mahagany Thottam, come back to Malayattoor Church, take a boat to cross over to kodanadu and take a auto or some thing to reach Panayeli Poru?

Option B
I go to Panayeli Poru, come back to kodanadu, take a boat to cross over to Malayattoor Church and take a auto or some thing to reach Mahagany Thottam?

Option C
Drive to all these places using the route kalady-vallam-kodanadu to cross Periyar river.

Can I, on the way back, go up to Ezhattumugam and then back to Kochi?

Can this whole trip be done in one day?

I hope I am not confusing you.

Not confusing.

Option A and B are possible. But i will not suggest you to take taxi or auto to visit these places. It will cost you more money only rather i will suggest to take option C.

As you suggested you can do these all places in a day in the below order.

From Thrissur to angamaly, take left from Karayamparambu Signal to mokkannor road for Ezhattumugam (This is a parallel road to Chalakudy- Athirappilly road on the opposite sides of the chalakudy river and the vettilapara bridge will inter connect both roads after ezhattumugam).
From Ezhattumugam road, you can go straight to reach Malayattor through Kalady Plantation. Beautiful places on the both side of the road. (but these stretch of road is in very bad condition till Malayatoor currently due to the rock/sand crushers and heavy tippers.Other way to malayatoor is coming back to Mookannor, then left to Thuravoor and left from thuravoor junction to malayattor).

After the Malayttor Pilgrimage center(Kurisumudy), turn the first left to Mahaganitottam(these road also not in best condition now. Still Managable). While returning from Mahaganithottam you can go left from here to Malayattor Church near periyar.

From there you can go to Kodanad through vallam and from there you can go to poru.
after that come back to perumbavoor and then go to kochi.
if you are not spending more than 60 minutes in each places , then you can reach all these places in before evening.

Last edited:
HR, Some old photos of ezhattumugam for you. The bridge you seen in the picture is vettilapara bridge opposite silver storm water theme park.

Last edited:
better use chalakkudy - vazhachal road and cross the river on vettilapara bridge again you can enjoy super fine road till vettilapara bridge. I enjoyed the chalakkudy - vazhachal route around 6 months coz my first job posting was at vazhachal.

Top Bottom