Delhi - Agra: Route Suggestions!

Thread Starter #1

Ad!tya

Suspended
Hi folks,
Coming weekend (i. e. 19/11/12), I (with 3 other friends, 1 special![:D]) are planning a short trip to Agra (basically to view the TAJ!) and back to Delhi.

The cars used will be a WagonR and my very own Alto (parents are not allowing to go in Swift because of mouth-watering Highways!). I have not made any plans till now, so your help is very much needed.
I need advice/suggestions on:
1. Which route to go by? According to me, there are 2 possible routes (NH2 and Yamuna expressway). I want well built roads (without any constructions going on) with ample highway driving.
2. What would be the distance travelled total?(I think 200 odd kms)
3. How much time will the trip take? (Delhi-Agra-Delhi) Also, in order to reach home on Monday morning, at what time should I depart from home? (Speed would be 100kph+ on highways and 30-50kph in traffic)
4. Will there be any nice restaurants or mos loved desi dhabas on the way? If yes, location?

If anyone has done a similar trip before, do tell me every single detail about the same.

Aditya.

I would suggest the Yamuna E-way. Just did Delhi Agra Delhi non-stop on 03 Nov 12 by Yamuna E-way. Total distance traveled (Dhaula Kuan - Agra end of E-way - Dhaula Kuan) was around 460km, which happened in 5 hrs and 10 minutes. The e-way itself is 165 km from Greater Noida to Agra Exit. Taj is further ahead. I just exited the e-way on to Kanpur highway and rejoined for return. My aim was not Taj but to run-in my car. The roads are three lanes each side and are as good as they can get. But remember, it is a concrete tarmac, so, pretty noisy. Make sure your tyres are in good shape. The speed limit for cars is 100 km/h, which I did stick to but to my dismay, I seemed to be the only one! Its access controlled and is not very busy. The fact that I did the entire length on cruise control, which was disengaged only at the three toll plazas, bears testimony to this fact. The return Toll (applicable if you are returning the same day) is Rs.510, for which ticket can be purchased from the first toll booth itself.

Taj is on the South Eastern end of Agra. For Taj, continue till the end of e-way and exit on to Kanpur highway. Its a divided highway, so you will need to go about 200-300m towards Kanpur before taking a U-turn at the cut in divider towards Agra. In my opinion, don't take any of the earlier exits towards Agra, which your GPS might suggest. While that may be shorter, it will make you approach Agra from north and you will end up wasting more time within Agra, negotiating traffic.

If you stick to speed limits (which I strongly suggest), Agra to Delhi should not take more than 2h 30min driving time (sans breaks), especially in the early morning hours.

There is a restaurant + rest rooms complex after every toll booth, so, basically, there are three of them on the e-way. No Dhabas or any other commercial complexes en-route (that's what keeps it congestion free). Remember, there is no Petrol pump on the e-way. Of course, you have the option of exiting the e-way, refueling and getting back. The lone Petrol pump that is close and visible from e-way is off Jewar Toll Plaza ie first one from Greater Noida but you'll still need to exit the e-way and re-enter after refueling. So, do your fuel planning carefully.

All the best. Have a safe journey.

Thread Starter #3

Ad!tya

Suspended
Thanks for the valuable reply my friend!
My brother was also suggesting the Yamuna expressway as the roads will not be very busy.
As you have said about returning on the same day, I have planned my routine (read on).
I will be leaving at 7am on Sunday with full tank in both the cars (will fill before entering the e-way) and then cruise till the second toll booth. Will stop after the second booth to fill our stomachs and then continue towards the end of the highway. Till now, time would be approx. 11 am and we would have covered approx. 200 kms. Will join kanpur highway and move according to the directions given by you till the Taj Mahal. While coming back, at approx. 3 pm, should I return from the same kanpur highway or any other better route?
Will fill fuel whenever needed by exiting the highway and joining in back.
I will reach home at 6-6:30 pm maximum!
As you have mentioned about speed limit and I have also seen in TV ads, should I exceed 100kph? (I am worried).

Was the plan alright? Or Any alterations to be made?

Please suggest.

While coming back, at approx. 3 pm, should I return from the same kanpur highway or any other better route?
The exit that I was asking you to avoid was the Rambagh - Sadabad exit (next exit after Mathura-Hathras Exit), which leads you to Rambagh, which is on the northern edge of Agra, through NH-93 (links Agra to Moradabad). The approach to Taj at times gets crowded on holidays but since your trip is on a monday, things should be better. The plan seems fine till 11am. Thereafter, when you reach Taj depends on many factors. It may take you 45 minutes, may take you two hours also! In my view, this route is the best. You can still try the other if you are feeling adventurous!!

As you have mentioned about speed limit and I have also seen in TV ads, should I exceed 100kph? (I am worried).
Now to answer your speed question and the worried question!
First off, 100 km/h is the official speed limit for cars. I stuck to it and never felt the need to go beyond, though the roads are well designed and inviting and I was being overtaken by all and sundry. Why, I even had a couple (with the pillion (a lady) without a helmet) on a Honda CBR250 overtake me! I won't discuss as to whether it is safe to go above this speed or not. I am sure many factors would have been considered before arriving at this limit. As far as enforcement is concerned, there are speed cameras at a few places. Also, one can make out the average speed by the time you take to travel between two toll booths. If your average speed works out to 120km/h, how can you ever explain/ argue that you never exceeded 100?? I am not sure if people are being prosecuted but they surely can monitor your speed. So, in a nutshell, YES, I would be worried if I am willfully breaking the law!

I will reach home at 6-6:30 pm maximum!
If you start at 3pm, you should be able to enter Delhi before 6pm if all goes well. But remember, 6 is not a good time to enter Delhi on a working day! So, cater for that (depending where in Delhi is your home.)

Will fill fuel whenever needed by exiting the highway and joining in back.
Here's the thing about refueling. You will not be able to exit the highway whenever needed. There are only four exits - Rambagh, Mathura, Palwal and Jewar. Other than these, there aren't even U turns possible! So, plan to refuel when crossing these exits or, better still, top up in Agra itself!

Have a great ride!

Thread Starter #5

Ad!tya

Suspended
Sorry buddy! I made a typo in the first post itself. I will be going on 18th, and not 19th.

The exit that I was asking you to avoid was the Rambagh - Sadabad exit (next exit after Mathura-Hathras Exit), which leads you to Rambagh, which is on the northern edge of Agra, through NH-93 (links Agra to Moradabad). The approach to Taj at times gets crowded on holidays but since your trip is on a monday, things should be better. The plan seems fine till 11am. Thereafter, when you reach Taj depends on many factors. It may take you 45 minutes, may take you two hours also! In my view, this route is the best. You can still try the other if you are feeling adventurous!!

Will rely on my GPS till I join the Highway.

Now to answer your speed question and the worried question!
First off, 100 km/h is the official speed limit for cars. I stuck to it and never felt the need to go beyond, though the roads are well designed and inviting and I was being overtaken by all and sundry. Why, I even had a couple (with the pillion (a lady) without a helmet) on a Honda CBR250 overtake me! I won't discuss as to whether it is safe to go above this speed or not. I am sure many factors would have been considered before arriving at this limit. As far as enforcement is concerned, there are speed cameras at a few places. Also, one can make out the average speed by the time you take to travel between two toll booths. If your average speed works out to 120km/h, how can you ever explain/ argue that you never exceeded 100?? I am not sure if people are being prosecuted but they surely can monitor your speed. So, in a nutshell, YES, I would be worried if I am willfully breaking the law!
I have an idea for this. I will be driving at a higher speed (100kph+) for a short stretch and then will wait for food, photos, etc. This will make the average speed less!

If you start at 3pm, you should be able to enter Delhi before 6pm if all goes well. But remember, 6 is not a good time to enter Delhi on a working day! So, cater for that (depending where in Delhi is your home.)
Oops! I mean Delhi only. No problem, I will get home 1 hr late! No big deal.

Here's the thing about refueling. You will not be able to exit the highway whenever needed. There are only four exits - Rambagh, Mathura, Palwal and Jewar. Other than these, there aren't even U turns possible! So, plan to refuel when crossing these exits or, better still, top up in Agra itself!
WHAT! No U-turns? Only 4 exits!
I am also thinking of the same. 1 tank full in Delhi and 1 in Agra itself.

Thank you very much for your advice!

I will try to be logged in during the trip and ask any questions if necessary!
Do you have any idea of writing a travelogue? (I mean main points to cover)
Thanks.

I have an idea for this. I will be driving at a higher speed (100kph+) for a short stretch and then will wait for food, photos, etc. This will make the average speed less!
Well, there are a hundred ways to hoodwink the system but only one way to do it right!![;)]

Anyway, do check your tyres and tyre pressure before the journey. Remember, the surface is concrete, not bitumen.

Travelogue? Well, the journey was too short for a travelogue. And frankly, though convenient, E-Way is pretty drab in terms of scenery. [sleep] So, I think I'll wait for something more interesting before putting pen to paper.

Thread Starter #8

Ad!tya

Suspended
UPDATE
The trip for Agra was cancelled, unfortunately, the last day. The reason was that the friend who would have been driving the WagonR, would not have been able to come for the trip as his father was admitted in the hospital for an operation (for 8.3mm stone).
Thus, we decided to make the trip sometime later.
Anyway, thanks @flybywire for your valuable suggestions. Will update here if I make a visit to the Taj in near future.

Aditya.

UPDATE
The trip for Agra was cancelled, unfortunately, the last day. The reason was that the friend who would have been driving the WagonR, would not have been able to come for the trip as his father was admitted in the hospital for an operation (for 8.3mm stone).
That's sad. Anyway, keep us updated as and when you do the trip. I will probably drive out to Gwalior on Tuesday. Will keep the latest posted. And if the trip is interesting enough, I'll take your advice and pen a travelogue maybe! [;)]

Thread Starter #10

Ad!tya

Suspended
Yes, will keep you updated surely.
Anyways, have a safe journey. Awaiting the pics of your whitelight during the journey!

Top Bottom