Your Favorite Restaurants on Indian Highways?

i have been to haveli when i was living in chandigarh. an awesome place and awesome food.

At dharampur on the way to shimla there is a nice Parantha Joint i forgot the name he serves nice Paranthas i go there every time i visit shimla he also has some celebrities come there and snaps of his with the celebrities have been put on display i remember everything except the Name [;)] . Also in front of this parantha Shop there is a Roadside Fish Tikka shop Mouthwatering Fish tikka with Mint Chutney just makes my day.

My in laws are pure vegetarians so this is my resort to wonderful fish.

Last edited:
i have been to haveli when i was living in chandigarh. an awesome place and awesome food.

At dharampur on the way to shimla there is a nice Parantha Joint i forgot the name he serves nice Paranthas i go there every time i visit shimla he also has some celebrities come there and snaps of his with the celebrities have been put on display i remember everything except the Name [;)] . Also in front of this parantha Shop there is a Roadside Fish Tikka shop Mouthwatering Fish tikka with Mint Chutney just makes my day.
Is it Giani dhaba that you are referring to at Dharampur? That's the most famous one there.

@Saroya:
Man you couldn't spot Sukhdev!! You sure? Was you driving or sleeping?
Err.. It's at Murthal that I can recognise Sukhdev even by looking at the over crowded parking (I guess it always has 100+ vehicles) where the vehicles can be seen parked more than 100 metres before the restaurant with buses, cars and what not.
BTW both Sukhdev and Haveli are worth a halt on every trip.
Hehe yes its hard not to spot Sukhdev Dhaba. Well its no more a Dhaba. Got a nice newly constructed buliding with open portico. And it has been re-named as Amrik Sukhdev. Any given time of the day, there are about 100 cars standing there. At times one has to wait to get a table, but its worth all the effort. While traveling from Chandigarh to Delhi, I make sure we halt at Sukhdev at Murthal. On our return journey, we generally halt at Savoy Greens at Karnal which has lots of well known food outlets such as McDonald's, KFC, Domino's, Subway and many more or sometimes at Haveli at Karnal if one is craving for Indian cuisines.

While travelling from Chandigarh to Shimla, my favorite halt spot is Timber Trail resort for a small coffee break. The location is superb and sipping hot coffee sitting at the deck is simply a bliss.

Other places that are worth visiting for some yummy food -

1. Lucky dhaba - Jalandhar
2. Zamindara dhaba - Ludhiana
3. Ishar sweets for Kulfi. It is absolutely amazing. (Chandigarh - Shimla highway)

@Saroya:
Man you couldn't spot Sukhdev!! You sure? Was you driving or sleeping?
Err.. It's at Murthal that I can recognise Sukhdev even by looking at the over crowded parking (I guess it always has 100+ vehicles) where the vehicles can be seen parked more than 100 metres before the restaurant with buses, cars and what not.
BTW both Sukhdev and Haveli are worth a halt on every trip.
Sorry guys my mistake . My mom reminded me that we saw and stopped in front of Sukhdev, but due to heavy crowd , decided not to eat there.[clown]

Last edited:
@ GM88 Sounds similar , may be it is giani da dhaba. Thanks for reminding the name. Also on the road to Mangalore from udupi there is a Restaurant Bittu da dhaba even thats quite Nice.

From Navolim GOA when you are travelling towards kankon GOA there is a restaurant VALLEY VIEW HOTEL the food is nice except Biryani's. please don't taste biryaani there rest all cuisine is nice.

Well I am another fan of A2B. Whenever travelling to bangalore or chennai there is always a stop at thopur A2B for either breakfast or brunch and getting refreshed.

Recently stopped for breakfast in Aasai Aasai Anandha Bhavan Delight Restaurant on our way to Coimbatore from Bangalore. Near Omalur, Around 6-7 miles before Salem. Neat and clean Restrooms, Friendly Staffs, Hygienic food. Ideal place for pitstop.

Attachments

One of our regular haunts is at Balaajee Bhavan at Melmaravathur en-route Salem or Trichy/Madurai.

Also the Vasantha Bhavan at Tindivanam (near Aaryas) is also good.

deville_56

Honoured Member
Not a foody, stops at certain restaurants, not because of the best food, but for the sake of stopping there the time before. That was certain restaurants got added to pitstop list. Pee would be the primary concern [:D]

Indian Coffee House chain - No mallu can travel without them. Run by cooperative societies. Uniform menu and facilities. Most of the employees would be union members, so expect attitude issues. Food would be affordable and good. They would add beetroot to virtually everything except maybe tea and coffee. So expect everything to be purple. Beef omelette, beef cutlet at special over there. My pick would be poori or dosa. My usual stop would the one at Kanjukuzhy. Decent parking. Crossing to the other side is a bit tricky due to undivided highway and speeding stretch.

Hotel Sri Gowri Shankar, near Nagercoil. The only restaurant I would stop when going south into TN, before venturing into NH44. Still itches to stop there when going even farther. Pure veg hotel. Poori Masala my favourite. The new alignment of NH66 would make it obsolete. Traditional but not so busy washrooms. Bakery and juice stalls. Enough space for parking. Crossing the road is a nightmare. One of the narrow and busy stretches of NH66 (old 47) with no road manners at all.

Hotel Aryas - original and duplicate on either side of the highway just before reaching Kavalkinar junction, the last point of civilization years back just before entering NH44. Okay kinda restaurants. Not so clean washrooms. More and enough parking space. Would become insignificant with the new alignment of the highway.

Jaison Bakery - Also at Kavalkinar. This was the only place to fill the stomach during the initial times we (@vishnu vichu) used to hit NH44. Open 24 x 7. Used to be a small bakery. Grew up over time. Separate section to tea and a vast collection of snacks. Still stops there. No restroom or table service. Umpteen options to fill up the car for the next 100s of the lonely highway (now many eateries came up, but lazy to exit the highway). Would become insignificant with the new alignment of highway. Roadside parking.

Italian Cake Shop - Rivals to Jaison Bakery. Have specialities of nearby towns like Tirunelveli halwa, jigarthanda, etc. A bit modern over Jaison. Stopped buying unpacked displayed bakery stuff after seeing rats running over the display counter. Still worth a try. Again roadside parking, no restroom.

Kovilpatti CCD. The only place we would stop after Kavalkinar. AC great relief when we are on bike in that exhaustive sunny highway. Situated inside HP pump. Can fill both tank and tummy. Washroom will be locked most of the time. The only place that used to accept card payment in those days. Forget about ATMs in that highway. We had to travel till Madurai, exiting the highway with GPRS based navigation some 10 years back to find an ATM to fill petrol to hit back home.

A2B at BPCL Ghar COCO outlet. Only A2B restaurants I have been to. The menu was huge. Food was good. Service was okay. The restroom was good at the gas station. Lots of parking space.

Back in Kerala, if I am travelling via NH66, which I never chose to, would stop at Mother's Kitchen near Karunagapally. All sorts of traditional Kerala delicacies puttu, appam, dosa, kadala, kozhukatta, etc, etc. Roadside parking, but wide shoulders. Great restrooms if you are travelling with family. Best food in that stretch. The only issue is they open up by 7:30-8, by which time I would have passed Alapuzha, else would die in the traffic jam.

When travelling via MC road, only stop would have been the legendary Vazhiyorakada near Kilimaanoor. Again, traditional and native Kerala food, lot of non-veg delicacies, served in banana leaf. Indian-style toilet with big queue in case you happen to stop with a bus party. Lost the charm over time due to the heavy rush. Good for breakfast. Located at a haphazard turn. Mishaps happened before. Undivided state highway and speeding through curve idiots make it a hit-miss affair. Can eat only if you are lucky.

Apart from these usually stops at veg restaurants as veg is comparatively safer when travelling.

Top Bottom