Your Choice Between Premium Hatchbacks and Budget Sedans?

Your Pick?

• Total voters
Re: Comparison Between Hatchbacks v/s Sedans

From my view:

When we looked out for my first car we zeroed on Hatchback, because

* easy to zip zap thru traffic (not harsh riding just good handler for a first time car buyer)
* I want to park my car @ home (not on road side)
* Obviously mileage ( i have a diesel hatch)
* acceptable luggage space and legroom with small foot print(car dimension)i-e my figo looks small from outside and spacious once you get inside.

But.

Now my family wish to have a sedan because...

we want more luggage+legroom space
after test driving few latest sedan's i liked the way it goes and their stability.
and road presence of sedan is better than a hatch (Ok Ok this is from my view may be my psychological feel)

But i said no to sedan because....

i have the "lets get ride of Ground clearance issue" attitude wich makes me wait and look out something like duster or ecosport but not ertiga

And they can be good or bad irrespective of shape..!![lol]
So I'm not the only one who uses his car as a utility vehicle or cargo carrier[lol]. I did the same thing last weekend with my alto as well, Mine were wooden beams and were almost 9 ft long.

I did the same thing last weekend with my alto as well, Mine were wooden beams and were almost 9 ft long.
9ft long in alto!!!!!
"Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished"-Jermy Bentham

just joking....Forgive me Jalex, take it with a light heart..!!

Thread Starter #35

Punto's NVH as far i heard is even better than diesal vento and handelling/ride quality and steering response is more matured than Hyundai verna -11+ lakhs.

Now which is better here ?
I used to work in VW & I used to drive my Punto to the workplace.

Punto's NVH is better than Vento, tough Verna is better than Punto. Handling & ride of Punto is better than both Vento & Verna.

And at last,give me a single reason why not even a single premium hatch exists in the world above Ford Focus,VW Golf and some more.Why it is so that producers themselves turn towards sedans or GTs?
Even after giving all the creature comforts you can dream off, you cant make a hatch more expensive than sedans. There is a limit to which you can stuff things in a hatch, how will you price it above sedans?

Again same question,buddy I am not mindless enough to play a lost game.You can't expect me to compare a Punto with a DZire and you yourself know why!In fact everyone knows that if you compare a proper hatchback with a proper sedan(like comparing Polo 1.6 with a City or vento etc etc)then the sedan definitely wins with a large margin but if you compare it with a so-called sedan like DZire,Manze etc etc then no doubt hatchback is far far better.
Buddy, understand the purpose of this thread, I will repeat it again -

I am Mr. XYZ, I have 7 Lacs cash in hand. I dont necessarily need a boot. What do I buy? A premium hatch which has all the creature comforts or a budget sedan, just because it is a sedan & a status issue. I again repeat, I have the money to either buy a budget sedan or a premium hatch. This is what I have mentioned in my first post also. So more expensive cars like Vento, Verna, Laura etc. does not count.

There is no point in comparing hatches with Laura, Verna, etc. as we dont have equivalent hatches in that segment in India.

In other words,if you want to make the comparison of hatches with 'sedans'(note:I said 'sedans')then you will have to make compromise on the price factor of a margin of upto 3 lacs.As much i remember I have mentioned the same in an another thread too.
Why? When I have this amount of money, and I have the option to buy either an i20 or a Etios, what should I buy? That is what we are discussing.

Well,at last only one answer comes to my mind for the whole thread "DIFFERENT PEOPLE-DIFFERENT NEEDS-DIFFERENT PRIORITIES AND HENCE DIFFERENT 'CARS'
+100. that is the reason I have mentioned in the first post, "someone who has a budget of 7-8 Lacs & does not require a boot".

9ft long in alto!!!!!
"Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished"-Jermy Bentham

just joking....Forgive me Jalex, take it with a light heart..!!
With the front passenger seat of the Alto slid full forward, head rest removed and seat reclined all the way back to form a flat bed of sorts, there's plenty of space to take in long stuff. The wooden beams were protruding only around a feet out of the dicky. I'm not saying it was alright to do that still.

And we too get caught as well like everybody else when in conflict with the law, especially when on the road, But the embarrassment is like being naked in the middle of a street when people see us get caught.:redface:

Last edited:

Vipul its already happened in other threads and more than 1 time atleast, you can take a horse to the pond, i am afraid i cant force it to drink.

+100 to what you said above, its all about ones needs and priorities. There are no right or wrongs here.

But some people continuosly make such damning statements which are beyond any reason or debate - even though i would like to help not worth the time for the reason mentioned above.
Well,buddy have you ever heard a Hindi proverb "Bhains ke aage been bajane ka koi fayda nahi hota"(there is no use of blowing been(snake charmer's toy-I don't know exact English of it) in front of a buffalo)

And they can be good or bad irrespective of shape..!!
I am yet to understand why you posted this pic buddy?What is wrong with the shape of the car?Any person can use his/her car the way he/she likes.

So I'm not the only one who uses his car as a utility vehicle or cargo carrier[lol]. I did the same thing last weekend with my alto as well, Mine were wooden beams and were almost 9 ft long.
I think that golden Alto whose pics are posted a page back is yours buddy,if yes,then really you are making full use of your car.What we call it oh yeah complete "BANG FOR YOUR BUCK"..

I used to work in VW & I used to drive my Punto to the workplace.

Punto's NVH is better than Vento, tough Verna is better than Punto. Handling & ride of Punto is better than both Vento & Verna.
+100,definitely Punto has got better dynamics then the two.
About comparing NVH to Vento,I think Punto's NVH is better only till mid range,in high revs Vento seems to have better NVH(correct me if I am wrong)

I am Mr. XYZ, I have 7 Lacs cash in hand. I dont necessarily need a boot. What do I buy? A premium hatch which has all the creature comforts or a budget sedan, just because it is a sedan & a status issue. I again repeat, I have the money to either buy a budget sedan or a premium hatch. This is what I have mentioned in my first post also. So more expensive cars like Vento, Verna, Laura etc. does not count.
There is no point in comparing hatches with Laura, Verna, etc. as we dont have equivalent hatches in that segment in India.
Buddy I was expecting that at least you will understand what I meant.What I really mean is that definitely hatches are far far better than some sedans which come in same price segment.But to compare a hatch with a proper sedan you have to go at least 1 lac above the hatch's price.Else if you want to compare the Punto and Polo with DZire,Etios,Verito etc etc then this thread is simply meaningless because the question is the answer itself.
Also in India govt. imposes higher taxes on sedans,they have higher production costs,they need more powerful engines to propel that added weight,then how can you expect a sedan of same level of finesse of a hatch at the price of the hatch.

Why? When I have this amount of money, and I have the option to buy either an i20 or a Etios, what should I buy? That is what we are discussing.
About you I don't know,but I myself will buy the Jazz leaving both of these cars aside if I am asked to buy one in this segment.

That is the reason I have mentioned in the first post, "someone who has a budget of 7-8 Lacs & does not require a boot".
Definitely,for people who travel light,hatches make more sense.

With the front passenger seat of the Alto slid full forward, head rest removed and seat reclined all the way back to form a flat bed of sorts, there's plenty of space to take in long stuff. The wooden beams were protruding only around a feet out of the dicky. I'm not saying it was alright to do that still.
That's a smart idea,yes no sedan has this level of flexibility but then instead of risking the damage to interiors of my car I'd opt to go for any freight carrier.

And we too get caught as well like everybody else when in conflict with the law, especially when on the road, But the embarrassment is like being naked in the middle of a street when people see us get caught.
:offtopic:about this matter,a small incidence from my side:Once my father caught me bunking the college and enjoying around with my GF,that day he said "Beta,every person in the world hides or steals anything.There is nothing wrong in that,what is wrong that if you get caught stealing anything,so do steal but do it smartly"..it looks like this is applicable everywhere,until or unless the person is caught he/she is perfect.

Do you even understand the purpose of this topic? I will repeat it for you -

Suppose a person has 8 Lacs, should he buy a premium hatch (if he does not require the boot) or should he buy a budget sedan (since sedans are good for status)?
Again, I would say that I don't give damn about societal norms, so forget about thing like status. Lets focus of practical issue -

A hatch can't take more bags, lacks rear space, lack of comfort for all the passengers. The only place where hatch scores is for parking in tiny spaces.

And in older post, you have yourself said that 8L hatch is not the person's 1st car, to which I agreed completely. If this is the case, then there is no point is debating for the reason that for tiny parking spaces or wifey the person will use premium hatch, but for regular rides, it will be sedan.

You are again & again comparing high end sedans with cheaper hatches, which is not fair.
And you are not considering the cost of production & taxes which is more in sedan than hatch which results in less features for sedan as the basic cost of production itself is more. Why are you ignoring this fact ? Not to forget the higher cc engines sedans require.

Hatchbacks are not designed for the sethjis to sit in the rear seat.
Sethjis [lol]. Loved this but problem arises when Sethji too wants to drive. Now compare, hatch or sedan ? It will again be sedan.

Correction. I am comparing Verito & Dzire with Polo, Swift, Punto, etc.
Again A grade hatch with B grade sedan.
Compare Dzire with swift, Polo with Vento, Punto with Linea & Verito with alto/wagon-R.

I have clearly mentioned that a maxi hatch is bought by someone who has the money to buy a sedan but still buys a hatch because it suffices is needs. Alto & Wagon R is not a maxi hatch.
Partially true coz maxi hatch is bought by someone who already owns either a sedan or atleast a UV. In my society I seen following combinations -

i20 & Cruze; Altis & i10; Jazz & Accord; swift & endy etc.
The guys who have Mercs, BMWs don't own a single hatch & only one of them has a SUV - Pajero.

Correct. Because it falls in the same price range.
Cost of production of sedan is more.

It wont have the boot - correct.
Ok.

It wont have the comfort - not necessary.
Then why not buy rickshaw ? Don't know why people buy cars which they don't like for first place. And if comfort is lacking in premium hatch, why waste money on them ? Better buy entry level hatches only.

Both i20 & Punto is more comfortable than the Dzire.
i20 maybe at par but punto surely not.

Hatches are bought by people who would mostly occupy only the front seats. Please understand the intended purpose also.
OK. But when did we disagree to this ?
Note that we are taking about complete package & not partial advs/disadvs.

DUDE, in that case, you know nothing about the Scorpio, so just let it be. No point arguing endlessly about something you are not totally aware of...
Look, I don't buy what car makers say. Tomorrow if M & M says scorpio to be hovercraft, some may buy that theory as it may drive on/near the beach; but I won't.

Some examples -

Scorpio is a truck because it has a pick up truck version.
Safari is an SUV because it's rear seats are comfortable.

Ridiculous! Ignorance is bliss!
I thought this is sedan vs hatch. Now from where the hell scorpio came back ? I am feeling being Amir Khan of Ghajini now, which post goes where.....no idea [lol].
And yes, I have never said safari to be true SUV. Just see the previous posts.

That seems a cool idea Iron Rock. I really wish MODS allow us to open such a thread. It would be awesome!

And I can already predict some great comparos there. And I am sure the cycle would win in the poll too!
Yes, I am sure those members based in UP will surely vote for cycle [lol].

@ raj,

Request you to debate about hatch, sedan & SUV in respective thread. It gets quite confused.

Seems some people here have scor-phobia !!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #39

+100,definitely Punto has got better dynamics then the two.
About comparing NVH to Vento,I think Punto's NVH is better only till mid range,in high revs Vento seems to have better NVH(correct me if I am wrong)
Well, I feel overall the TDi engine is very noisy, so Multijet has an edge.

Buddy I was expecting that at least you will understand what I meant.What I really mean is that definitely hatches are far far better than some sedans which come in same price segment.
I understood what you meant buddy, but you dint understand my point.

This thread is not a direct hatch v/s sedan topic. This is a "if you have 8 Lac, what will you buy? Premium hatch or budget sedan?" thread. I hope you got my point.

About you I don't know,but I myself will buy the Jazz leaving both of these cars aside if I am asked to buy one in this segment.

Definitely,for people who travel light,hatches make more sense.
Exactly my point. You will buy a premium hatch over a budget sedan, with that budget.

Then why not buy rickshaw ? Don't know why people buy cars which they don't like for first place. And if comfort is lacking in premium hatch, why waste money on them ? Better buy entry level hatches only.
[frustration]

You are the one who is ranting that premium hatches lack comfort, not me!!!

i20 maybe at par but punto surely not.
I drive a Punto daily & it is easily more comfortable than the Dzire. Maybe 'jayadev' can add his opinion.

Look, I don't buy what car makers say. Tomorrow if M & M says scorpio to be hovercraft, some may buy that theory as it may drive on/near the beach; but I won't.
Forget it.

I understood what you meant buddy, but you dint understand my point.

This thread is not a direct hatch v/s sedan topic. This is a "if you have 8 Lac, what will you buy? Premium hatch or budget sedan?" thread. I hope you got my point.

Exactly my point. You will buy a premium hatch over a budget sedan, with that budget.
Well,if 7 lacs in hand then I'll definitely buy a Jazz but if the price bar rises to 8 lacs then the game changes because the Honda City 'E' comes into the play now and as mentioned by me in another thread,I'll like to repeat the same words:
In that case I find a Honda City E more bang for the buck instead of buying any hatch which is costing even 7 lacs.What I paid is just 1 lac more(for 8.2 lacs you can get the City E fully loaded) and what I have got is:
1):All the safety equipment like ABS,Airbags etc
2):Comfort.
3):1.5 i-vtec
4):Performance and FE higher than any premium hatch(Polo/Fabia 1.2/1.6,Punto 1.2/1.4,i-20)
5):A big and comfy cabin mated with a big boot for luggage.
6):Center locking,all four power windows,electrically adjustable ORVMs,tilt adjustable steering wheel etc etc..
7):And most important "IT IS A HONDA CITY",So driving dynamics or say fun to drive factor remains intact..

So now tell me isn't it the perfect bang for the buck?If you make a matrix(cars vs features/performance) and give each car some points on a scale of 10 then tell me the name of even a single hatchback or SUV which will scale higher than this car on the above mentioned points.I am sure the hatch can score higher in some points but at last in the net score the City will win.
And the ingredients I have added in the list themselves make a perfect fun to drive car.

You are the one who is ranting that premium hatches lack comfort, not me!!!
Even I too rate the same,why?Because I don't find any hatch costing 7 lacs or above as comfy as the sedans which comes at this price:-
Skoda Rapid,Honda City,Fiat Linea,SX4,Fiesta etc etc.

Well,if 7 lacs in hand then I'll definitely buy a Jazz but if the price bar rises to 8 lacs then the game changes because the Honda City 'E' comes into the play now and as mentioned by me in another thread,I'll like to repeat the same words:
In that case I find a Honda City E more bang for the buck instead of buying any hatch which is costing even 7 lacs.What I paid is just 1 lac more(for 8.2 lacs you can get the City E fully loaded) :

I wouldnt..!
Most of us humans have strange behavior , moment we realize we have more money we tend to become ignorant .we forget our needs and the way we reached that status.we will buy more space ,more food,more more ..even if we may not need it anywhere.

1):All the safety equipment like ABS,Airbags etc
2):Comfort.
3):1.5 i-vtec
4):Performance and FE higher than any premium hatch(Polo/Fabia 1.2/1.6,Punto 1.2/1.4,i-20)
5):A big and comfy cabin mated with a big boot for luggage.
6):Center locking,all four power windows,electrically adjustable ORVMs,tilt adjustable steering wheel etc etc..
7):And most important "IT IS A HONDA CITY",So driving dynamics or say fun to drive factor remains intact..
I think I have mentioned this part in my ownership review long ago ,Me and my very close friend bought cars together . we were classmates, college-mates, and colleagues.myself bought Punto a hatch ,He bought Honda city . his family members thought I tried to save some bucks and teased me saying miser.

But, him, my friend was bit disappointed with his car. he did not have even half of the features which I had in my Punto starting from desmodronic keys. and neither braking quality nor the steering response. he got advice from showroom/dealer to change tires to bigger ones and spent rs.26000. still dint satisfy him, neither could match the dynamics of 2 lakh cheaper punto.
space: he too travels with his wife only kerala Goa ,kerala Mumbai etc.never felt boot was needed. and his car scratches the bottom horribly I am not debating Punto vs honda city but this is a truth. though his wife debate about feel good factor of having bigger car nothing else.

So now tell me isn't it the perfect bang for the buck?If you make a matrix(cars vs features/performance) and give each car some points on a scale of 10 then tell me the name of even a single hatchback or SUV which will scale higher than this car on the above mentioned points.I am sure the hatch can score higher in some points but at last in the net score the City will win.
And the ingredients I have added in the list themselves make a perfect fun to drive car.
A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. When logic starts to take first place in life we have to compromise lot of things.
e.g,You may have better rating for the food available in market/hotels or restaurants but I bet it wont ever be as healthy as simple food made in home.

Even I too rate the same,why?Because I don't find any hatch costing 7 lacs or above as comfy as the sedans which comes at this price:-

That is just because we dont have competing Hatchbacks for sedans. we Indian always needs the boot so now manufacturers are hell bent to stick boots to anything they find with wheels.
Exploiting the mentality of some our honorable members here whom blindly thinks sedan is the only better drive in the world.

I wouldnt..!
Most of us humans have strange behavior , moment we realize we have more money we tend to become ignorant .we forget our needs and the way we reached that status.we will buy more space ,more food,more more ..even if we may not need it anywhere.
Hmm,Jayadev buddy you have fantastic philosophical views.But then we are here to discuss things practically,when i made the thread called 'what car-what income',that time I also thought of adding the same but then its better to count the things in a practical way instead of philosophical way.

I think I have mentioned this part in my ownership review long ago ,Me and my very close friend bought cars together . we were classmates, college-mates, and colleagues.myself bought Punto a hatch ,He bought Honda city . his family members thought I tried to save some bucks and teased me saying miser.

But, him, my friend was bit disappointed with his car. he did not have even half of the features which I had in my Punto starting from desmodronic keys. and neither braking quality nor the steering response. he got advice from showroom/dealer to change tires to bigger ones and spent rs.26000. still dint satisfy him, neither could match the dynamics of 2 lakh cheaper punto.
space: he too travels with his wife only kerala Goa ,kerala Mumbai etc.never felt boot was needed. and his car scratches the bottom horribly I am not debating Punto vs honda city but this is a truth. though his wife debate about feel good factor of having bigger car nothing else.
Well,buddy as much I remember I have a net driving experience of over 2 lac kms till date and in all this I have driven each and every hatch in the country from Maruti 800 to VW Beetle.And you know what after driving them all and removing the Beetle from the list none of the premium hatches ever had enough guts to score higher on my scale.In fact none of the hatches except Polo 1.6 ever pleased me more than the City in terms of driving experience.But then it scored lower than City in other fields.I don't think that emotionally,I don't like thinking what will look better with me,what i believ is what suits me best is the best for me and hence I simply for my own reasons declare Honda City as the best car selling in India today.About this belly scraping,buddy do accept it,your friend is an idiot.Come to me,I'll take you for a drive in City on a road where even SX4 also scrapes its belly but City won't why?because its not the car who scrapes its belly,its the driver.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. When logic starts to take first place in life we have to compromise lot of things.
e.g,You may have better rating for the food available in market/hotels or restaurants but I bet it wont ever be as healthy as simple food made in home.
I don't have a mother to give me food at home,and the person who cooks at home cooks according to the way I ask him to do.So again I think home's food is better than that of market.

That is just because we dont have competing Hatchbacks for sedans. we Indian always needs the boot so now manufacturers are hell bent to stick boots to anything they find with wheels.
Exploiting the mentality of some our honorable members here whom blindly thinks sedan is the only better drive in the world.
When we don't have direct competition,then one simple question:When there is no direct competition,then why is this thread existing?Either compare hatches with sedans with at least 1 lac margin or leave the comparo because everyone knows what the results are..

Last edited:

Well,buddy as much I remember I have a net driving experience of over 2 lac kms till date and in all this I have driven each and every hatch in the country from Maruti 800 to VW Beetle.
That's a lot of experience and like in excess of 400Kms every single day since you were an adult chum, Or you mean to say you started driving when you were in kindergarten?[lol]

Anyway that's a lot of illegal driving for someone to do in so little time and a lot of irresponsibility from the side of your parents. And you still drive at 160Kmph on highways which is twice over the limit here. Great going and I'm not surprised!

Last edited:

I equally love hatchbacks and sedans.I think both are designed for different needs.Some may need a boot some may not.I understand what Raj and Jayadev is saying,that is buting sedan(under 10 lakhs) without the need of a boot.

I comes from a family where we we have replaced a proper sedan with a diesel hatchback and it had both positive and negative results.

This sedan was more powerful than the hatchback(swift D) in terms of cc and bhp.Moreover it had no turbo lag.As per my uncle who too bought swift D along with us,the sedan had superior dynamics too.It had a much better back seat, and a boot too and we did had long journeys in it and a lot of praises from many people who have driven it and got a ride in it.

Well the reason why we went for a hatchback is because of its ease of use in city.We bought a M 800(bs 3) when we had this sedan and most of the my parents preferred it to drive it in the city.And at last it was the swift which replaced this sedan..The other hatch which we considered was the fabia(well it was 3 years back and there was no punto,no ritz,no polo,no figo,no jazz),but it was rejected due to scary ASS.The m 800 was replaced with another city hatch chevrolet beat.

We did miss the the big boot.We ended up having very very less long journey.Some times out swift's boot is filled to the brim and we passengers carried some of the luggage.

But what we got is peace of mind.Our swift is fruagal yet peppy.Not to mention the best in class ASS.These hatches are very comfortable in the city.My mother do love sedan but she don't want suffer with a sedan in a crowded city.

Then please change the title of the thread as had this been the case, most of our comments wouldn't have come up at first place.

First you say Hatch Vs Sedans & out of sudden declare, that hey, it is only for 8L price. Why act like independent MLA ? [lol]

I drive a Punto daily & it is easily more comfortable than the Dzire. Maybe 'jayadev' can add his opinion.
Dzire is not proper sedan, it is swift + boot.
A true sedan is one which is conceptualized as a sedan right from design stage itself & not copy-paste job later.
Compare Punto with SX4 then & not Dzire.

I wouldnt..!
What has boot & rear legroom to do with ignorance ? This is our requirement buddy, & yes what can be a luxury for some can be a necessity for others. Even car is luxury for several people, even if it is Alto. So, what should everyone do ? Stop buying cars & use bicyles for the fear of calling ignorant ?

Tomorrow you may say that you have money, why go to Carribean for holiday ? This is ignorance, go to Lonavala. [lol]

And what about SUV/UV drivers who drive in city to bully others ? Why can't they drive hatch ?

It seems some guys brain is tuned for being anti-sedan, so hatch is good, SUV is good, UV is good but sedan is bought out of ignorance & lack of respect for money. Great logic. It is really hilarious where one can go to prove anti-sedan theory.

Calling you miser is being extreme idiot. Send them to Agra !
Buddy, all hatch buyers become misers or what ? In this case, I am with you.

space: he too travels with his wife only kerala Goa ,kerala Mumbai etc.never felt boot was needed. and his car scratches the bottom horribly
What is desmodronic keys ? Sorry, but I don't know.
And as far as Punto is concerned, give it to me for just 1 day, I will give you 2 pieces, 1 chassis & 1 body.[lol]
Sorry, but your friend can't drive.

Then, for me home-cooked food is sedan, while roadside 'tapri' is UV & hatch is some small udipi hotel.

Rather than seeing complete price, see what value you get per rupee. Sedan wins hands down & the most non-VFM vehicle is SUV. Hatch falls in between.

When we don't have direct competition,then one simple question:When there is no direct competition,then why is this thread existing?Either compare hatches with sedans with at least 1 lac margin or leave the comparo because everyone knows what the results are..
+10000000000.

Top Bottom