Yamuna Expressway Pile Up: Is Uttar Pradesh Police Responsible?

Thread Starter #1
This is what various newspapers have to say regarding the massive pile up that occured on Yamuna expressway on 24th of December:

Amar Ujala - Local Newspaper
Article view

Dainik Jagran - Local Newspaper
Story

The Times Of India
Fog causes 48-vehicle pile-up on Yamuna Expressway, 2 killed

Daily Pioneer Website
2 die in Yamuna e-way pile-up

Going by the first two, the sole reason behind the accident was that some UP Police Cops have tried to stop a moving truck just as to make some money(of course illegal way) and as soon as the driver stopped the truck, the pile up started.

Now comes the report in TOI which states that an "unidentified vehicle caused the pile up".]

Facts:
  • Pile up started after an Innova hit some vehicle from behind and overturned - every one states the same.
  • The vehicle was definitely a heavy vehicle as it fled away after the accident - definitely a car couldn't. It was a bus or truck most probably.
  • As per the people present at the spot who gave their statements to the newspaper guys, it was a truck which the cops were stopping for making some money.
  • Anyone who frequently travels on Yamuna expressway can tell that PCR vans can be seen parked on the sides near Jewar and the accident spot is also near Jewar. Amazingly, trucks can aslo be seen stopping at those points - what does this signify?
  • If a truck was involved, why the driver wasn't nabbed? Maybe because nabbing the driver would have opened up the whole story of the crash. After all who will arrest a driver after knowing the fact that the fire will burn themselves?

Highlighted in the below pics are the parts of the newspaper articles which say that policemen were busy making money, an unidentified vehicle etc etc. BTW, declaring the culprit vehicle unidentified is the best way to get away without doing any homework to catch the vehicle!

daily pioneer.JPG

Capture.JPG

dainik jagran.JPG

TOI.JPG

Whatever one may think or say, but this has left me [thinking]

My father also frequently travels to Tappal via the same route and did day before yesterday too - I need to be worried! No doubt the Yamuna expressway is covered with fog for a major part of winters after all.

Saw this on the news today: "The 165-km-long Yamuna Expressway, built as a symbol of modern development connecting the Noida industrial hub with Agra -- the city of Taj, is now being described as the deadliest road in the country by the families of those who fell victim to speeding on the smooth macadam...
In reply to an RTI query, the Yamuna Expressway Authority has revealed that there were 319 deaths till July 15 in road accidents. Two major accidents have been reported later."

Read here

Hey guys ,

This is what i personally observed about Uttar Pradesh Police ,

1. Their Road sense , in terms of setting up Check posts , etc , If anyone has ever been to greater noida , you will notice that it has pretty wide roads which can easily cater the office rush 5-7pm , but what if someone sets up a check post on a round about ? ever heard or seen it ? check post on round about , setting up the post at 5pm and ending at 8pm , this is their level of common sense .

2. In Noida , sec 18 , In front of TGIP (the great indian palace) , that check point , creates a havoc , specially with people wanting to enter TGIP , and people coming from other sectors wanting to go towards delhi .

3. Express ways are made for people , to have a smooth ride home ,over a few months , cops started making huge revenue for themselves , by having speed limit challan on Noida - Greater Noida Express way . Thanks to the new Government , now it is electronically monitored for every challan, which exists in the rule book .

4. Also the Things quoted by Vipul sir about cops around jewar is also true , that is sure one more point for unwanted check post .

After looking at all this i really feel that , if this continues to happen in winters , specially on open roads such as Yamuna Expess way or Noida Greater noida express way , we may well see history be repeated with such accidents .

Thread Starter #5
Yamuna expressway is the road which I drive on at a frequency of at least 50 times an year(or say 25 to and from trips) and I can tell you that this open and empty expressway (definitely the best road to drive on in India) sees a lot of drivers (I have seen an Alto K10 overtaking us at 130+ kph) who simply forget about the speed limit or their personal limits or the limits of their vehicles and just press on the gas.
One can easily spot the premium cars doing upto 200 kilometres an hour or even above. Heck, even I have also done some beyond insane speeds on this expressway (some numbers which will directly call for a ban on forum) because all one has to pay is 500 rupees, maybe a challan of 5000 would have helped authorities to get drivers to drive sensibly.

Last edited:
I wanted to take my new K10 for a spin (will stay within legal speed) to enjoy a day out on the Yamuna Expressway from Delhi side. But I don't want to enter Agra. My plan is to eat at the food court along the Expressway, which I have heard there is one. Question is, is there a U-turn after the food court? I don't mind paying toll even for taking a U-turn.

I wanted to take my new K10 for a spin (will stay within legal speed) to enjoy a day out on the Yamuna Expressway from Delhi side. But I don't want to enter Agra. My plan is to eat at the food court along the Expressway, which I have heard there is one. Question is, is there a U-turn after the food court? I don't mind paying toll even for taking a U-turn.
In expressways you wont find a u turn, It is mandatory to take any exit and then change the direction by entering the express way towards delhi.

There should be well marked loops for exit and entry to the express way.

Cheers !!

SG

Yes it is very much possible after the first toll. Just be sure to ask the toll staff.

Top Bottom