Yamaha RX100 - Short Term Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

Sharing you the ownership review of my beloved baby, Yamaha RX100.
1994 Model
2 oweners in papers and I was the third owner
Color - Black

Buying experience:
I was in search of a used car and found a decent 2001 model Zen, White color, 2nd owner with 58k on odo. Owner was my friend's neighbor and this was one of his three cars at home used by his wife. Asking price - 1.15 lacs, after several bargains, settled the deal to 90k[clap]

The same day I sold my year old Apache RTR 160 with 6k odo reading to one of my friend and I was in the process of arranging Vitamin 'M' for the purchase. The next day I got a call from the zen owner saying that his family has some sentimental attachment towards that car, being that was their first four wheeler, so he don't want to sell the car.

Got shocked on hearing this, as I have already sold my virgin bike to the other guy and he paid the entire amount on the spot.
Kept aside the plan of getting a used car and started searching for used bikes which i wanted on fire footing urgency.

On a sunday fortunately I met a mechanic with his recently restored Yamaha RX-100[:D]
On enquiry he said it is his profession to restore the bikes and sell it. He offered me the bike for 25k. The price seemed to be too high for a 16year old machine, but after having a TD, decided to take her. With certain negotiation, bought the baby home for 22k the same day after checking the documents.

Here are some of her snaps.
Ownership review will be posted shortly.
Note : these photographs were already posted in other thread

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #2
Here comes the ownership experience:
My 8 year hunt for RX (yes ofcourse I was looking for a RX right from my school days, which my family never allowed to own) ended with this beauty.

What ever is painted in black were the only old parts and all others were new including the fasteners, Pinston & Rings, Clutch plates, Oil pump, etc etc. Apache RTR180 White color paint, RX135 5 Speed stickers.

Taken a drive to test her performance. On the first kick, her heart got life and started roaring. Brisk exhaust note attracted the guys on the street. Taken her to a highway where there was no traffic, I got the chance to feed the engine with full throtle. To my surprise the speedo reached a 3 digit figure in no matter of time. But the bike vibrates a lot and the engine was begging not to rev her anymore.

Max speed acheived is 105kmph that too i was riding her on a flat road with wind supporting my ride.
Max Speed in each gear
1st : 25kmph
2nd : 40kmph
3rd : 55 kmph
4th : 105kmph

Mileage:
No highway drives, used only within the city
Best : 41kmpl (50kmph average)
Worst : 24kmpl (no typo)

List of Problems faced:
1) Clutch hard - Routing of the cable was not proper, corrected it myself and the issue solved
2) Neutral switch malfunctioning - Neutral lights glows in all gears - I dont get time to rectify this, the bulb blown out[frustration] in 2 days of running
3) 2T oil leak near Tank - Found the rubber tube was damaged, replaced under mechanic's verbal warranty of repairing / solving any minor issues free of cost
4) Ignition key broken - Left the key in side lock and turned the handle bar from right to left[frustration] - Got a pair of duplicate keys

After 4 months of happy ownership, I was about to relocate to chennai. I thought of taking the baby along with me, but one of my close friend expressed his desire on my baby. Half heartedly I let her go with him.
Missing her badly now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well written report buddy[clap]. And needless to say, just like your TVS Star City, your RX100 looks extremely good. You should not have sold it. Getting a RX100 in used market in good condition is pretty tough.

seeing your photos rekindled memories of my friends rx100 which i used to drive a lot during teens and early 20s. wonderful bike. with still a good resale value. my friend had bought it at rs9000/ later sold it for rs 16000/ after 9 years of usage.

Thread Starter #8
mrboss. here's my rx 100. please transfer to the appropriate thread if i have posted the pic at wrong place.
James, Picture is missing in your previous post.
BTW here is a dedicated thread for RX.

But I don't mind if you are posting on my thread. You are always welcome.[:)]

Everyone would love to own one!
Uncle's friend has one , single owner and he is having from beginning .
14 years .
he was about to sell , he was saying it goes around 16k in market. Just stock with gear slippage , and oil leaks , but starts in one kick.

that time i had some cash in hand and was about to buy them , just for driving fun. sadly he changed his mind and decided not to sell them

riding pleasure , the pick up , the feel you get on driving them , cant be compared to anything else.

thnx mr.boss, will shift to the linked thread. added a pic as attachment but its not loaded could you plz help me on how to load a snap to a thread. thnx in advance.

350Z

Core Team
Mr. Boss, That’s a great and well-written ownership review. At first glance, I thought you have mixed match it with a Maruti Zen review. :biggrin: A nice bike nonetheless and exceptionally well-maintained. Wish if you had retained it because the value of an RX100 is now priceless.

thnx mr.boss, will shift to the linked thread. added a pic as attachment but its not loaded could you plz help me on how to load a snap to a thread. thnx in advance.
This thread should help: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/announcements/18-guide-upload-pictures-videos.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #12
Mr. Boss, That’s a great and well-written ownership review. At first glance, I though you have mixed match it with a Maruti Zen review. :biggrin: A nice bike nonetheless and exceptionally well-maintained. Wish if you had retained it because the value of an RX100 is now priceless.
Thank you 350Z[:)]
Taken a great care on the baby, more than what I did on my Apache RTR & Wagon-R. When ever I take her between the crowd, there will be at least one person asking me if the bike is up for sale.

Mr.Boss very well written report and like others said your bike is looking well maintained! Hope its still in the same good shape.

Top Bottom