XUV 500 Ownership Experience - The Rouge Dumanator

Thread Starter #31
congratzz buddy. looks awesome. must have been one happy day for the family while taking delivery!!!
Thanks man... Ya sure.. A very happy Family along with the Car [;)]
Congratulations Shibadip

ANyone here autoexpert technical Guru Please suggest on the points raised by Shibadip?

As it will be helpful for me too, as I got my W6 beast on this Diwali. So please someone suggest and guide.
Thanks man.. And Congratulations on your car too.. Do post lots of pics of the beast.
Great review Bro. Front looks is killer even better than BMW and Audi IMO.
Well.. You are comparing RD to BMW and Audi!!! My two most favorite cars..
Dil garden garden hoye gelo!!
BTW, my office Collegues also called me TeniDa, And God knows Y???
questions answered in the quote itself.
Thanks man.. was very helpful..
To answer your 4th point
Select Menu option and you will find the reset settings. I hope thats what you are looking for.
Yes Boss.. Found that out during our trip to Nainital..
A detailed update about the ride and the pics coming soon!!!!

Thread Starter #32
Nainital Trip

It was nearly three months that the RD was sitting in the Garage, and till then it had clocked only 250kms on the ODO. Many factors caused the RD to be sitting that idle. So we decided to take a trip to Nainital, and started to chalk out plans for it.

Me and mom went to Durgapur (where my dad is currently posted) with the RD and it the the first time I was riding the RD on the highways. It was a superb four lane NH2 and about 200kms from Kolkata. Although being a little scared since this is the first time I am driving such big and high powered car on the highway, but certainly got a taste of what’s going to come. BTW, this is the first time I got to use the 6th gear, and also the First time in my life that I touched 140kmph!!!

The halts made were: Kolkata - Durgapur - Lucknow - Nainital - Kausani - Benaras - Durgapur - Kolkata.

Dad had been successful in buttering out a week’s leave, and thus started out from Durgapur early morning of a Sunday.

Starting the ride

IMGP0787_zpsfa4b0480.jpg

Morning mist on the NH -

IMGP0791_zpsc9d0bfb2.jpg

The car just behaved superbly, and the Adrenalin rush that one gets from a 140 bhp beast gets addicted. While I touched 165kmph (While dad was taking a small Nap :P) I was amazed to see dad doing this speed –

IMGP1005_zps3cd3c275.jpg

Went to Lucknow By evening that day.
Next day started from lucknow to get to Nainital. Had to get through a place where a huge number of tractors were line up loaded with Sugarcane –

IMGP0821_zpsafd6fee5.jpg

And our Sexy RD standing beside that line.

IMGP0823_zps21635c33.jpg

We reached Nainital by Afternoon, and truth be told, there was hardly any fatigue even after two days of long drive.

Pics from nainital –

IMGP0846_zps47e4b923.jpg

IMGP0874_zpsd44206a9.jpg

IMGP0902_zps78bba1d6.jpg

From Nainital, went to Kausani via Almora. Kausani was really a Jannat on Earth. The morning sun on the hills just make u wish to buy a small plot of land and settle there only. Let the pictures say the Story!!

SunRise -

IMGP0910_2_zps3f578761.jpg

Kausani -

IMGP0933_zps06d4779d.jpg

Sxy XUV -

Ultimate -

IMGP0961_zps188ba3f1.jpg

A temple that we visited at kausani , which is said to be more than 100 years old.

IMGP0984_zpsbea0b707.jpg

From Kausani came back while doing a night stay at Benaras

Some more pictures taken during the trip –

A small cutie who got us interested -

IMGP0988_zps30f06705.jpg

IMGP0987_zps83d66a10.jpg

Does he seem to be the warden of the cheetah??

Nope, he was a security guard keeping an eye on the cheetah at the hotel so that no one disturbs her..

IMGP0986_zps613b8707.jpg

A snap of RD while everyone was enjoying their morning tea –*

IMGP0978_zpse43eec2d.jpg

The pose whick I keep on clicking - *

IMGP0991_zps93ce1dc0.jpg

Lastly thanks everyone for their interest in the RD –*

IMGP0965_zps551272e9.jpg

Two most memorable things which happened with the car –

1) We were using Map my India GPS of my father’s colleague. Though it was very helpful most of the time, but there was a instance in lucknow where the destination was given of a hotel for night stay. I was driving as per the directions given by that GPS. But that route landed me to one of the busiest market place of lucknow. And the width the street was almost as that of our RD. Had a havocly hard time to negotiate the road. It was very strenuous to even let a cycle pass. But seeing the bright side, that incident made me fully aware of how much area the RD covers.. Am now confident to escape out any busy road.

2) It was already evening before crossing Barely (during the return journey) and found there was stupendous jam since a huge tuck full of sugarcane had overturned and has blocked the road. Some of the local guys suggested that there is a shortcut, right beside the road that will lead us crossing the accident zone. Discussed with two SUV behind us, and they too agreed to follow us. (Actually didn’t want to drive there all alone). So took that route, and found out that it was actually within the sugarcane field. Did some “not so serious” off-roading to get back to the Main road. It was really fun driving in pitch black sugarcane field, and the RD too didn’t disappoint. Although mom was scared as hell all through that patch. It really was a memorable one!!

Very well written tlog Shibadip. RD is looking great and those pictures are very beautiful. Especially those mountain ones during the sunshine and sunset.

Also how many kms did you accumulate on this trip? And what was the FE that you got?

Thread Starter #35
Congrats although a bit late

Have you published the Ownership reveiew thread seperately somewhere?

Iif yes - can you pls share the Link here?
Thanks buddy..
But this one is my ownership thread.. Read it from the first page!!
Very well written tlog Shibadip. RD is looking great and those pictures are very beautiful. Especially those mountain ones during the sunshine and sunset.

Also how many kms did you accumulate on this trip? And what was the FE that you got?
Oops.. Should have provided this info on the previous post itself.. [embarass]
The trip was more than 3k kms. before the trip it was only about 250kms on the ODO of RD. Now it's close to 3.5K!! [:D]
Fuel efficiency - that was Another interesting part.

While on NH with speeds of >100KMPH most of the time the FE was about 14.5kmpl. on the hills it was about 13kmpl..
Measured it in tankfull to tankfull method. and the calculation of Avg Fuel economy as per RD's brain was also nearly the same. (So proved that RD is not only about aggression.. it's smart as well [clap] )

Just while coming back from father's place, i.e from Durgapur to Kolkata (which is round About 200kms) I decided to see how much can RD return if tamed timidly..
Drove it very carefully with the least use of clutch and brakes, and speeds Averaging around 60-8kmph. the Avg fuel as per the car's display got stuck at 18kmpl.. but I can guarantee that it returned > 21kmpl. However such kind of driving is very very very very boring, considering the capabilities of the RD.

Nice posts Shibadip, the XUV infotainment system fuel display is limited to 18kmpl for some strange reason, in the original software there was no limit, but this was introduced subsequently. However i found the infotainment display not very accurate either ways, so always best to rely on tankful to tankful.

Thats a very decent mileage you are getting. Once cannot expect more though dil maange more always [:)]. My only complaint to you is your running is too low and doesn't do justice to the vehicle [;)]

Well.. You are comparing RD to BMW and Audi!!! My two most favorite cars..
Dil garden garden hoye gelo!!
BTW, my office Collegues also called me TeniDa, And God knows Y???
Well I am talking about on looks wise it will beat many high-end car [evil]

TeniDa is my fav. bengali literature character along with feluda, Ghonada, Bhomykesh and other Da's [:D]

And thanks for the trip report :)

Last edited:
Shibadip that early morning mist on the car looks like a cool drink removed from the fridge.

Really loved that pic, along with close up of those headlamps.

Good to see some progress with your XUV.

Wish you many more such trips.

Happy & Safe Motoring.[:)]

Wonderfully written TL with some great photos to back it up,hope you will give her more work out's in the day's to come[;)]

@ shibadip

Mindblowing pics yaar , the xuv in red looks killer and hot [clap] . I'd you have some more please kindly upload

Oops.. Should have provided this info on the previous post itself.. [embarass]
The trip was more than 3k kms. before the trip it was only about 250kms on the ODO of RD. Now it's close to 3.5K!!
Fuel efficiency - that was Another interesting part.

While on NH with speeds of >100KMPH most of the time the FE was about 14.5kmpl. on the hills it was about 13kmpl..
Measured it in tankfull to tankfull method. and the calculation of Avg Fuel economy as per RD's brain was also nearly the same. (So proved that RD is not only about aggression.. it's smart as well \)

Just while coming back from father's place, i.e from Durgapur to Kolkata (which is round About 200kms) I decided to see how much can RD return if tamed timidly..
Drove it very carefully with the least use of clutch and brakes, and speeds Averaging around 60-8kmph. the Avg fuel as per the car's display got stuck at 18kmpl.. but I can guarantee that it returned > 21kmpl. However such kind of driving is very very very very boring, considering the capabilities of the RD.
Man that's a really good FE that you getting from the RD. good work.
And i know how boring it might have been for you to drive at such low speeds on a NH in your RD.

And that's a good amount of kms on the ODO. good way to get the RD ODO moving up.

It's the same case with our XUV (DRACO). Just one trip so far and few rounds in the city ODO has not even crossed 400 as of now. [frustration]
But should cross 1000 by end of this week.

I know I am bit late but congrats on yout new ride. May you have cover many a miles without any problems.

All I wanted to know was, whether the touch screen system in the xuv plays video? If yes, is it possible to watch the videos while the cars is moving. Cause, I read somewhere that in some cars, videos can be watched only when the car is not moving.

Thread Starter #44
Nice posts Shibadip, the XUV infotainment system fuel display is limited to 18kmpl for some strange reason, in the original software there was no limit, but this was introduced subsequently. However i found the infotainment display not very accurate either ways, so always best to rely on tankful to tankful.

Thats a very decent mileage you are getting. Once cannot expect more though dil maange more always. My only complaint to you is your running is too low and doesn't do justice to the vehicle
Thanks boss...
I found the Avg fuel Economy to be quite accurate..
However, the "distance to empty" shown seems to be confusing. there as a moment where we filled in a tankfull diesel, and the RD took in 65 liters of it!!
Considering that the tank is of 70 liters capacity, it means that there was 5 liters left in it. The avg fuel economy as per the Display was 14 kmpl. However the distance to empty was showing about 110 kms!!!
Well I am talking about on looks wise it will beat many high-end car

TeniDa is my fav. bengali literature character along with feluda, Ghonada, Bhomykesh and other Da's

And thanks for the trip report
Anytime, tenida..
Oh, BTW, i keep myself aloof from any kind of literature [sleep]
Shibadip that early morning mist on the car looks like a cool drink removed from the fridge.

Really loved that pic, along with close up of those headlamps.

Good to see some progress with your XUV.

Wish you many more such trips.

Happy & Safe Motoring.
The 1st time i saw the Car on that morning, i too had this same feeling (Chilled RD!!)
Also, the pictures don't do justice to the sexy look , which was seen in actual, with the backdrop of the white mountains in the Background (coz of the economy digi-cam, and my lack of interest in photography)
Wonderfully written TL with some great photos to back it up,hope you will give her more work out's in the day's to come
Thnaks man..
@ shibadip

Mindblowing pics yaar , the xuv in red looks killer and hot . I'd you have some more please kindly upload
yup, some more are there.. But the best of the lot have been uploaded. will show up the rest, when i get my Hands on Dad's Internet Dongle..
Man that's a really good FE that you getting from the RD. good work.
And i know how boring it might have been for you to drive at such low speeds on a NH in your RD.

And that's a good amount of kms on the ODO. good way to get the RD ODO moving up.

It's the same case with our XUV (DRACO). Just one trip so far and few rounds in the city ODO has not even crossed 400 as of now.
But should cross 1000 by end of this week.
Yes, Singh ji.. It's quite the Similar case with our RD. Since dad stays away due to his office, i keep myself occupied with my bike (aka - DESTINY). So it's only on Some of the week-ends when the RD gets out to take us to a resturant or to Any of our relatives..

However, i do make sure that i give the RD a round trip in our locality in every 3 days!
I know I am bit late but congrats on yout new ride. May you have cover many a miles without any problems.

All I wanted to know was, whether the touch screen system in the xuv plays video? If yes, is it possible to watch the videos while the cars is moving. Cause, I read somewhere that in some cars, videos can be watched only when the car is not moving.
Thanks boss..
As for your Question, our RD is a W6 variant, and doesn't come with a touchscreen system.
However, AFAIK, the touchscreen system which comes in a W8 can play videos. but only when the car is stationery. (it's basically a safety feature to not run videos while the car is moving so that the driver doesn't get distracted!!)
The best place to ask this question is here
Excellent Pics buddy,

Your XUV looks awesome & your experience with XUV is quite interesting.
Thanks, Appu..
hope this bond continues for a long time with our RD[embarass]

Top Bottom