World's Top Car Companies in 2012

Daimler, never heard that name before.
If Merc is my gf, then Diamler is my to be father-in-law.[lol]
Earlier it was Daimler-Chrysler, after Daimler bought Chrysler stake & now it is Daimler AG as it sold off Chrysler few year back (don't know exact date), and is the parent of Merc. Daimler AG also owns the brand, Smart.

Hi Rajvel

Audi Sales must've been incorporated in Volkswagen sales being its subsidiary, why Jaguar not there,would be answered by Autosafari!
Audi Sales is consolidated with Volkswagen.

Jaguar and Land Rover is consolidated with TATA Motors.
But then one can see Porsche in the ranking, despite it being a subsidiary of VW. [confused] After all, Skoda, Audi, Porsche, Bentley are all owned by VW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #17
But then one can see Porsche in the ranking, despite it being a subsidiary of VW. [confused] After all, Skoda, Audi, Porsche, Bentley are all owned by VW.
All others in your list are 100% owned by Volkswagen so the sales were consolidated.

When 2012 ranking is prepared, they normally would have taken 2011 Sales figures.

Porsche became a 100% subsidiary of Volkswagen only in August 2012.

Last year it was other way round.

Holding company of Porsche, Porsche Automobil holding SE was holding 50.73% of Volkswagen AG.

Hi Rajvel

Audi Sales must've been incorporated in Volkswagen sales being its subsidiary, why Jaguar not there,would be answered by Autosafari![surprise]
Rajvel and hastir

Jaguar and land rover is owned by tata so it comes under tata motors now .

All others in your list are 100% owned by Volkswagen so the sales were consolidated.

When 2012 ranking is prepared, they normally would have taken 2011 Sales figures.

Porsche became a 100% subsidiary of Volkswagen only in August 2012.

Last year it was other way round.

Holding company of Porsche, Porsche Automobil holding SE was holding 50.73% of Volkswagen AG.
What about lamborginin ? And who owns Ashton Martin ? Is it with ford still ? And I think seat is also under VW group now .and Kia under Hyundai right ?

Thread Starter #19
What about lamborginin ? And who owns Ashton Martin ? Is it with ford still ? And I think seat is also under VW group now .and Kia under Hyundai right ?
Lamborghini is a 100% subsidiary AUDI. So it is consolidated under Volkswagen.

Aston Martin is owned by a consortium of Investers who bought a majority stake from FORD which holds a minority share of about 12% now.

Kia was bought by Hyundai group but it is structured as a seperate company. (similar to Renault and Nissan)

Daimler and Chrysler is a big name and it's one of the also bread and butter for many IT companies for the IT support like SAP and others.
Maybe you know this if not than hers is the deal:
Chrysler had suffered a series of setbacks in recent years, culminating in DaimlerChrysler's agreement to sell the unit to Cerberus Capital Management in May 2007 for US$6 billion. Through most of its history, Chrysler has been the third largest of the "Big 3" U.S. automakers, but in January 2007, DaimlerChrysler, excluding its luxury Mercedes and Maybach lines, also outsold traditionally second place Ford, though behind General Motors and Toyota.
In the middle of the past decade, the merger began to take a turn for the worse. Due to Daimler's reluctance to allow Chrysler to continue development and use quality materials, Chrysler vehicles suffered lower fit and finish quality as well as sub-standard parts being supplied and used in spite of concerns. Although the resulting vehicles produced were still adequate, they were generally not on par with the competition.
Chrysler reported losses of US$1.5 billion in 2006. It then announced plans to lay off 13,000 employees in mid-February 2007, close a major assembly plant and reduce production at other plants in order to restore profitability by 2008.[7]
DaimlerChrysler had reportedly approached other carmakers and investment groups to sell Chrysler in early 2007. General Motors was reported to be a suitor while Volkswagen, the Renault-Nissan auto alliance, and Hyundai Motor Company had said that they weren't interested in buying the company.
On August 3, 2007, DaimlerChrysler completed the sale of Chrysler Group to Cerberus Capital Management. The original agreement stated that Cerberus would take an 80.1 percent stake in the new company, Chrysler Holding LLC. DaimlerChrysler changed its name to Daimler AG and retained the remaining 19.9% stake in the separated Chrysler.[8]
The terms saw Daimler pay Cerberus US$650 million to take Chrysler and associated liabilities off its hands. Of the US$7.4 billion purchase price, Cerberus Capital Management will invest US$5 billion in Chrysler Holdings and US$1.05 billion in Chrysler’s financial unit. The de-merged Daimler AG received US$1.35 billion directly from Cerberus but directly invested US$2 billion in Chrysler itself.
Since Chrysler's 2009 bankruptcy filing in the United States, Chrysler has been controlled by Italian automaker Fiat, which unlike Daimler plans to integrate Chrysler's products into the Fiat portfolio, most notably Lancia and Chrysler's namesake brand.
Despite the fact it had been nearly four years after the Daimler/Chrysler split, the fourth-generation Jeep Grand Cherokee shares a platform with the Mercedes-Benz M-Class .

Source: Daimler AG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know Daimler but Iam asking what are they selling so much to be numero troi?
I guess this includes the sale of chrysler and Jeep car/SUV's as well.

Thread Starter #22
I know Daimler but Iam asking what are they selling so much to be numero troi?
I guess this includes the sale of chrysler and Jeep car/SUV's as well.
Somewhere I heard chrysler fiat connection.I dont think it it has anything to do with Daimler.
Forbes list of Top car companies are based on Sales value and not on numbers. So Daimler with its Mercedes Benz and Smart generate more Sales value than numbers.

Chrysler was an American big 3 (behind GM and FORD)
They went into trouble and merged with Daimler to form Daimler Chrysler. Did not last long and was sold to a consortium of investers.
Later FIAT bought a stake and slowly increased it to majority ownership.

Porsche has now been fully integrated into VW and is coming up with Individual Dealerships in Metros, Earlier Porsche cars were being imported through an importer called "Shreyans" who is the official importer of Ferrari,Maserati,Aston Martin also.

Thread Starter #25
Porsche was trying to take over a much bigger Volkswagen. Created a web of investment companies to acquire shares of Volkswagen and possibly went bankrupt in that process.

Finally Volkswagen took control of Porsche and from August 2012, it is a wholly owned subsidiary of Volkswagen.

Then i would say this report is a dubious one!![surprise]

[glasses]
Porsche was trying to take over a much bigger Volkswagen. Created a web of investment companies to acquire shares of Volkswagen and possibly went bankrupt in that process.

Finally Volkswagen took control of Porsche and from August 2012, it is a wholly owned subsidiary of Volkswagen.

Autosafari,

Volkswagen Buys co's rather then being Bought!!

[glasses]

Autosafari,

Nothing is permanent in today's world . Did any 1 ever thought JLR will be bought by tata ?
Any swing going bad and boom you are in trouble . Right now it seems they (VW group ) are quite strong but who knows what the future holds ?

When world economy was booming people were busy in buying companies . Now the scenario is very different .

Thread Starter #29
Well that sounded funny,when hunted becomes the hunter,poor Porsche.
Yes Jayadev, its really funny.

Porsche won the initial battle and they did own a majority stake in Volkswagen for some time. As on September 2011, Porsche was having about 51% ownership of Volkswagen.

But they could not digest what they swallowed

Then i would say this report is a dubious one!![surprise]
Forbes might be having better source of information and better research power than us.

Porsche became a 100% subsidiary of Volkswagen in August 2012 only.

Posted this earlier. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ds-top-car-companies-2012-a-2.html#post205179

Top Bottom