Willys Jeep Mission

Thread Starter #1
Hi Folks,
Iam serious fan of Old Willys Jeeps and in search of a good one and planning to restore it. Any Idea how to get it?
Thanks,
Ram

Iam serious fan of Old Willys Jeeps and in search of a good one and planning to restore it. Any Idea how to get it?
Only 2 ways,
1) Search, search & search
2) If option 1 didn't workout, follow it until you get one.

If you are planing to restore don't look for a good one, Willys rust buckets were priced not less than a 6 digit figure these days. Get what ever is available and restore it. I don't have hands on experience when it comes to Jeeps, but seen the amount of time, energy & money people invest on them from other forums.

All the very best for your project.

Thread Starter #3
Yes, You are right Boss. I need to search for a rust one to restore it to my taste. Let's see how best i can.

hi,
as mr. boss suggested, being in the south besides trying the online sites, i have read of many dedicated persons in coonoor, coimbatur, of course you might have to rely on delhi mayapuri, & meerut market for parts and accessories.

i have been contemplating for long the dabwali jeeps, which are more pseudo without 4x4, i even have a guy offering me a willys with a/c, so lets see maybe next summer vacation, i might bite the jeep bug. if you need any help, let me know.

regards

vinod

Thread Starter #6
Hi Folks,

Thanks for showing interest & providing me valuable suggestions.
[cheers]

Finally i found a rusted a Mahindra CJ3B.[:D]

I believe it was used in Indian Army; not sure, as nobody knows about it's history[surprise]

Anyways, now iam thinking more of it what to do next.

Will post the pic soon.

Thanks,
Ram

Last edited by a moderator:
A Brief History of the CJ-3B

What's a CJ-3B?

The Willys Universal Jeep CJ-3B was built between 1952 and 1968. It had flat front fenders like earlier Jeep models (such as the CJ-2A and CJ-3A), but can be distinguished by a higher hood profile. Later Jeeps have more rounded fenders and hood. See the photos below:
Jeep CJ-2A Jeep CJ-3B Jeep CJ-5

For more details on the other Universal Jeep models, see Universal Jeep History. For information on other Jeep brand vehicles made by Willys, including trucks and station wagons, see Siblings of the CJ-3B and Web Links.

Development of the CJ-3B

The Universal Jeep CJ-3B was introduced as a 1953 model by Willys-Overland, the company which had produced some 360,000 jeeps used during World War 2, and almost as many civilian Jeeps (CJ's) in the seven years since the war. 1953 was also the year Willys-Overland was sold to the Kaiser-Frazer Corporation, who used the Willys Motors name until 1964 (see When the CJ-3B Was New).

One limitation of the wartime jeeps, and the postwar civilian models CJ-2A and CJ-3A, was the limited horsepower of the 4-cylinder L-head "Go-Devil" engine. The new F-head "Hurricane" engine, which Willys began putting in its larger vehicles in 1949, had its intake valves in the head rather than the engine block, allowing them to be larger. The first Jeep big enough for the engine was the military M38A1 in 1951. (The M38A1 was also the debut of the new "round-fender" body design that would be used for most of the Jeeps of the next five decades.) The first civilian Universal Jeep with the Hurricane engine was the new "high-hood" CJ-3B (see a post-1961 factory photo at right).
The CJ-3B was introduced as a transitional model between the flat-fender CJ-3A, and the forthcoming CJ-5, the civilian version of the M38A1. The 3B had flat front fenders, but a higher-profile hood to accomodate the F-head engine. It offered higher horsepower and torque than the 3A, and a new, quieter 4WD transfer case. Other designs were tested, including the CJ-4 with the beginnings of a rounded hood and fenders, but only a few prototypes were built (see New Universal Jeep Designs, 1949-52.)

This painting shows two of the popular Willys vehicles of the early fifties, the CJ-3B and the Station Wagon. The printed specifications are in French, but the source of the illustration is unknown.
For most of the period when the CJ-3B was being manufactured in the 1950's and 60's, it was overshadowed by the newer CJ-5 and CJ-6 models, first offered in 1955 and 1956 respectively. Willys produced over 30,000 3B's in each of 1953 and 1954, and production continued at a slower pace until at least 1967. Currently available production figures show a total of about 196,000 built; many were exported from North America in the 1960's.

A page from the Willys-Overland Export Corporation catalog of "the world's most useful vehicles" from the brief period in the early 1950's when the CJ-3B was the only CJ being produced, describes the versatility of the "one and only Universal Jeep", which "works as a tractor; a pick-up truck; a tow vehicle -- a vehicle that provides transportation every day in the year. With power take-off, it is a mobile power unit."
It also says "The Hurricane F-head is one of the most efficient engines ever developed. Overhead intake valve and valve-in-block exhaust give better breathing and less susceptibility to carbon. Using regular grades of gasoline, the Hurricane squeezes more energy from every drop, giving higher horsepower output with greater fuel economy."
Jeep models based on the CJ-3B, including longer wheelbase versions (sometimes misleadingly referred to by the manufacturers as the CJ-4 or CJ-6), were built by a number of licenced firms around the world, including Mahindra & Mahindra in India (the last company still making models based on the CJ-3B).
Hope you know the History Now. need any info on restoring please feel free to contact.Awaiting the Pics Eagerly[:D]

Courtesy:History of the Jeep CJ-3B

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Hi Folks,

Eventhough the outlook seems to be fine, there are lots of rust inside and in the hidden areas. Seems like they already removed the Petrol Engine, and installed pegueot diesel engine & altered the steering unit from left to right side. Iam trying to negotiate the price from the seller. Will share some more pictures later. Also, seems like i need to spend more to restore it.

Thanks,
Ram

hi Ram,
this looks like a neat jeep, living in a coastal town you will find rust, the jeep gurus will surely give their opinion, my advice, once you have procured the jeep, use it for some time (if it is in running condition), without doing any major work, except for a basic service, change all fluids, filters, greasing etc.
once you have driven for some time you will understand your jeep better, and make a note of all issues niggles, and then go for a complete overhaul, all the best.
regards
vinod

Thread Starter #13
Hi Folks,
May be it looks like a neat jeep, however, only the engine and the gearbox seems to be working fine, inside the body lot of rust are there and need more restoring factors as you said greasing, changing engine oil, gear box oil, oil filters, canvas top etc.

Once, the negotiation is over, planning to take it to a workshop and do the restoration work.

Folks, need your valuable suggestions and advice.
Thanks,
Ram

This looks like an ex-army Mahindra CJ3B and not a LHD Willy converted to RHD. I don't see "WILLYS* embossed on the grill and bonnet sides.

Thread Starter #15
Dear Folks,

Yes, You are right. I have questioned the same to the seller and he finally agreed that it's an Ex-Army Mahindra CJ3B. Also, i have noticed the 'Willys' embossing is made backside of the grill which is visible if we open the bonnet and see it inside. All these days i was so busy with my personal work and couldn't find time to repair the Jeep. I need to prioritize and start the restoration work [:)].

Happy Jeeping,
Ram

Top Bottom