Willys CJ3B Find

Thread Starter #1
Hi
Discovered this jeep in Hyderabad, India and it's mine now :-). Was dry stored in a shed for at least forty years!
It's LHD, high bonnet with the original hurricane petrol engine in it and W-O carb. The photos are before it was washed. After a cleanup there is hardly any rust on the body. The rear has a pintle hook and bumperettes. Has a vacuum operated wiper on the left and manual one on the right. Foldout windshield and all original roof bows. Fitting for a spade on the right side, spare wheel carrier mounted on the tailgate which also swings out to the side so the tailgate can be opened. Speedo in km/h.
There is a plate under the bonnet with a serial number which says willys jeep manufactured under licence by Mahindra in Bombay.
Original color appears to be olive green.
Have searched widely over the net and just can't find an exact match. The closest resemblance is to the US Military cj3b but mine has the willys stampings on the hood, front grille and rear tailgate.
Also it seems similar to the M606 but lacks the left blackout light and trailer socket and tyres on my jeep 6.0 x 16.
Wonder if it is just a civilian cj3b built in India by Mahindra or a military model.
Would appreciate any help in identifying the exact model.

The look I am aiming for

Attachments

@adil, congrats what a find, glued to this thread for the restoration, am sure Hyd has lots of genuine restorers, the speedometer is in MPH, the only 2 non original's seem the AMP & Oil pressure gauges.
all the best
Vinod

Thread Starter #4
Hi Vinod
The speedo is in km/h.This is what the mph speedo looks like

Plan to do the restoration myself but time constraints mean that it will prob be a few months before I start.
Regards
Adil

Attachments

Last edited:
This is a great find Adil,Congrats! Something which has been in a shed for 40 years - this is in super pristine condition body wise , i am amazed.

This definitely seems like a late CJ3B model going by the Omix-Ada gauge.
Does it have 3 gear levers(1 the regular other 2 for the 4x4) ? Is the horn pad a rubber one ?

Please post more photos , we are desperately awaiting more updates :)

Thread Starter #7
Hi Iron Rock
Yes it has 3 gears. For those not familiar: the additonal two are for engaging 4-wheel drive and the 'load gear'.
Can't remember if the horn pad is rubber (I don't think it is. Will post a pic which i have) and can't check currently as the jeep is parked in storage away from my home. Any relevance to dating?
Could you also please tell me about Omix-Ada gauge.
I reckon the jeep was made in the sixties based on the dash layout as the handbrake lever style was was introduced in 1961 (1958 in Australia but the jeeps were RHD). And it has to be 1968 at the latest because no more RHD jeeps were made by Mahindra after that due to Govt regulations.

Thread Starter #8
More pics of the cj3b

Handbrakes from 1961 onwards

Hi Iron Rock
Yes it has 3 gears. For those not familiar: the additonal two are for engaging 4-wheel drive and the 'load gear'.
Can't remember if the horn pad is rubber (I don't think it is. Will post a pic which i have) and can't check currently as the jeep is parked in storage away from my home. Any relevance to dating?
I reckon the jeep was made in the sixties based on the dash layout as the handbrake lever style was was introduced in 1961 (1958 in Australia but the jeeps were RHD). And it has to be 1968 at the latest because no more RHD jeeps were made by Mahindra after that due to Govt regulations.
CORRECTION: I meant " no more LHD jeeps were made by Mahindra after that due to Govt regulations"

Video after the jeep was washed with diesel:

https://youtu.be/-1UWCjy4Fm8

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Iron Rock
Your guess seems to be right- this site has details, you might want to match with some of the details here

Interior Details on the Jeep CJ3B Page

Regarding omix-ada here you go :- About Omix-ADA World
if you want old jeep parts , they are good bet, very decent quality.

Hi,

Good to see a original CJ3B with Hurricane Petrol Engine. Is the Engine is still in working condition?.

Happy Jeeping,
Ram

Hi,

@adil your Willys Cj3b seems to be in great shape, well maintained. Your are lucky to get this beauty. How much it costs, could you post more images?

Thread Starter #13
Last edited:
@Scorching watch the two videos below:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=-1UWCjy4Fm8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dEaJlFWfDo8

The jeep is well maintained as essentially it was dry stored in a shed for over 40 years and not driven on the roads. Paid 1.2 L for it. Will start restoring it soon and hopefully restore it to its former glory.
I sent some pics to John Carroll who is editor for Landrover magazine in UK and he reckons it's a military jeep and "very fascinating".
Great buddy.. All the best for your restoration! Keep us updated with your restoration pics[:)] and my name is Scorpking not Scorching[:D]

Top Bottom