WiFi Stick For Cars

Thread Starter #1
Hello friends,
pls check the attached photo
rhvddj.jpg

is it possible to get carstick kinda thing here that they help create a wi-fi hotspot in the car? How exactly to update the maps and software using internet at home?
i have seen people use small portable coffee makers and laptop chargers in their cars.can someone help me with a link?
many thanks

bhvm

Honoured Member
Xuv 1st gen had a hidden USB port for possibly this function under top compartment. However no accessory or information about it came. The hidden port was removed in next version.

Today, I'll just use Jio hotspot or any Old phone.

What is this : A working SIM needs to be inserted into this CARSTICK thingy; it seems it will work like a typical "USB dongle based WiFi Modem" . When plugged into a USB port, the dongle draws 'DC power' from Car (or PC or Lappy or Power Socket) to power up the Cellular Radio inside the Dongle; when the Radio detects a SIM card, it establishes connection to the Network Service Provider and then acts as a WiFi Modem. During my Reliance CDMA days I used something like this (here).

Alternates: Before spending money on OTHER dongles, TRY using your Mobile Phone or Home WiFi Modem as a WiFi Hotspot and see if your Car Infotainment System is able to latch onto it. For this to work, your Car infotainment system SHOULD take you to a screen where you can enter the password for WiFi Hotspot. If your Car audio gets hooked to an external hotspot, just enjoy.

Alternates probably won't work: There is a high chance, you WON'T be able to connect Skoda's infotainment system to any WiFi hotspot other than this carstick. When Skoda is selling carstick separately, I feel they would have inbuilt a "device driver" in the Infotainment System so that it works ONLY with Skoda authorised Dongle.

Hello friends,
pls check the attached photo
View attachment 252944
is it possible to get carstick kinda thing here that they help create a wi-fi hotspot in the car? How exactly to update the maps and software using internet at home?
i have seen people use small portable coffee makers and laptop chargers in their cars.can someone help me with a link?
many thanks
Hi @akop.4040
Why do you need a Wifi Stick which works on SIM?
Because if it is SIM based then the network strength will be the same as your Mobile Handset, then why not use the HOTSPOT feature of the handset.
OR you can use the Wifi dongles available in the market like JIO/AIRTEL in the car.

Thread Starter #5
What is this : A working SIM needs to be inserted into this CARSTICK thingy; it seems it will work like a typical "USB dongle based WiFi Modem" . When plugged into a USB port, the dongle draws 'DC power' from Car (or PC or Lappy or Power Socket) to power up the Cellular Radio inside the Dongle; when the Radio detects a SIM card, it establishes connection to the Network Service Provider and then acts as a WiFi Modem. During my Reliance CDMA days I used something like this (here).

Alternates: Before spending money on OTHER dongles, TRY using your Mobile Phone or Home WiFi Modem as a WiFi Hotspot and see if your Car Infotainment System is able to latch onto it. For this to work, your Car infotainment system SHOULD take you to a screen where you can enter the password for WiFi Hotspot. If your Car audio gets hooked to an external hotspot, just enjoy.

Alternates probably won't work: There is a high chance, you WON'T be able to connect Skoda's infotainment system to any WiFi hotspot other than this carstick. When Skoda is selling carstick separately, I feel they would have inbuilt a "device driver" in the Infotainment System so that it works ONLY with Skoda authorised Dongle.
Hi @akop.4040
Why do you need a Wifi Stick which works on SIM?
Because if it is SIM based then the network strength will be the same as your Mobile Handset, then why not use the HOTSPOT feature of the handset.
OR you can use the Wifi dongles available in the market like JIO/AIRTEL in the car.
Thank you for your inputs. Yes the hotspot is fine, but I just wanted that stick to conenct to the infotainment system. I am not able to find any wifi hotspot in the settings anywhere in the car so I was under the impression that their carstick will only connect to it. I wanted the same to update the maps and the infotainment version.

Thank you for your inputs. Yes the hotspot is fine, but I just wanted that stick to conenct to the infotainment system. I am not able to find any wifi hotspot in the settings anywhere in the car so I was under the impression that their carstick will only connect to it. I wanted the same to update the maps and the infotainment version.
Did you update "Maps & Infotainment System firmware" from Mobile Hotspot or NOT ? Your above post is NOT clear on this aspect.

BTW, how much Skoda is asking for their stick ?

Thread Starter #7
Did you update "Maps & Infotainment System firmware" from Mobile Hotspot or NOT ? Your above post is NOT clear on this aspect.

BTW, how much Skoda is asking for their stick ?
No I couldn't update anything as there is no option to connect to wifi in the settings. This is why I thought maybe their carstick can only be connected.
Given my recent experiences with the world's best dealership, I haven't asked them for a qoute.

...No I couldn't update anything...
I anticipated THAT (in my Post # 3 here). Irritation from Car Cos. My guess is Skoda's Carstick might cost around Rs. 13,000/-. Entry level Android phones are available from 6K (for 2GB RAM) to 10K (for 3GB); and one of these phones can be used purely for Car Navigation (using Wi-Fi Hotspot of your Primary Phone). My old OnePlus One is doing THIS exact activity in my Verna. Find out the cost of Skoda's Carstick ; it will help you decide which way to go.

For Navigation, I mount my Mobile either "on the Steering wheel" or "above the dash, but a little towards the A Pillar". This way, my eyes can be back on the road FASTER (after move - change_focus - move - refocus), as compared to looking at the Central Console. In fact, the "towards A-Pillar location" is the best, as your eyes only need to move sideways (which is easier). Pretty handy, when you are in dense traffic and also at higher speeds.

Top Bottom