Why New Ford Fiesta isn’t Doing Well Enough in India?

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
It is an open secret that in spite of being a world renowned car, Ford’s New Fiesta hasn’t been able to earn a great favour for the company. Since the launch of Ford Figo – Indian customers were left with high expectations that future line up of Ford will carry a competitive pricing with an all rounder product but unfortunately, this was not the case with much hyped New Fiesta. Having checked out this car inside out, I feel that not only pricing is exaggerated for this car but it also needs some improvements to actually make it a proper C+ Segment Sedan. The interiors are a big let down if compared with existing competitors, the low quality plastics and somewhat cramped rear cabin isn’t very pleasing; add to that, the dark interiors which makes it appear even less spacious. Though, I was overall bowled over the Kinetic design, performance and sporty driving position which further the driving pleasure. Ford, if you’re listening this, then its high-time to chop the prices by a lakh or so of this otherwise superb sedan. There is a lot of potential to make it a worthy rival in this ever growing C-Segment battle ground.

PS: Link to New Fiesta's Launch Coverage by TAI: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...edan-2011-pictures-review-pg-8-onwards-8.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: Why New Ford Fiesta isn’t Doing Well in India?

Agreed, I have taken a test ride for a friend of mine and I was amazed at the punch this machine packs within. The technology put in, the ride quality, comfort was impressive but came hard on the pocket.
Had this been cheaper by around a lakh, putting it in the same bracket as the Verna, it would have been categorized as a Super Sedan.

One thing that I felt unhappy about was the rear seats, less space and while you sit in, you feel like sitting in a car of much lesser price. The interiors looked dull to me at the rear. It was not at all able to do justice to the price tag the machine holds. Does it come with different interior color schemes as the Figo ? The salesman was stupid enough of not being sure about it :lol!:

The one I took ride of, was a Top-end Silver color Diesel variant, interiors were plain black.

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Re: Why New Ford Fiesta isn’t Doing Well in India?

One thing that I felt unhappy about was the rear seats, less space and while you sit in, you feel like sitting in a car of much lesser price.
Total +1 to that.

Does it come with different interior color schemes as the Figo ? The salesman was stupid enough of not being sure about it.
Nope. Single colour scheme is available for the interiors. Wish if it was available with Begie (Or a lighter shade similar to Greige). This would really improve the interior feel overall.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Completely overpriced and does not possess enough meat to compete against Ventos, Vernas or Citys. Every other car stands out but with New Ford Fiesta, except for the front nothing is appealing. Even the engine and handling has gone down a notch. Fiesta Classic is still in a league of its own!

Re: Why New Ford Fiesta isn’t Doing Well Enough in India?

Three major reasons for this machine to down-sell is
1. Price
Could have been priced better. A lakh or so will really do wonders for sure.

2. Rear leg room
Come on Ford. Already mistake is done in older versions. Why repeating again? an increase in log room will again do the trick

3. Dull interiors
Not sure why black here. May be they kept fiesta sports version in mind when designing this? Biege interiors will do the trick again.

The Indian customer is probably the most value conscious consumer in the world. Give him something thats great VFM(acceptable quality for the moolah paid) and he will oblige. Ford realised this with Figo, but with Fiesta they probably took a chance and now repenting (seeing the discounts). Hyundai seem to have good a good understanding of our market now and Ford should learn this quickly as they have several impending launches..
Dont throw ageing models at us(they did this before) - get ur latest/global stuff here and give value to the consumers and target their needs.

Have a clear business case of whether u want to sell something in double digit/ triple digit/ 4 digits ( I wouldnt put 5 digits targets to Ford yet! )

With the Fiesta specifically ,i am not sure what Ford was targeting - some hatchbacks beat it on internal space and look at the pricing!!
Another point the indian consumer is very clear on is internal space - dont u dare go on the lower side!!

Last edited:
Obviously because its been overpriced, otherwise its a great car. Ford read the market right with the Figo, but messed it up big time with the NFF.

Overall opinion of the forum members is that Fiesta is overpriced, cramped at rear and has got dull interior. I fully endorse this view.

Apart from that I also think that Fiesta somehow suffer from image problem. Ford chose to carry forward the Fiesta tag to a substantially costlier car. Earlier Fiesta was a class lower than City/Vento and only after price correction began clocking decent numbers (IIRC Fiesta (old) ZXI petrol model with ABS was available around 6.35 L). But with new Fiesta, Ford tried to position it against City & Vento which IMHO people find hard to accept.

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team

Alright. Here's a comparison image of New Ford Fiesta and Ford Fiesta Classic:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Missed this thread again. Fully agree with all the member's views and +1 to Marun for pointing out all the major reasons.

I feel the lesser power from the engine is also a minor contributor. It just can't take the Fluidic Verna and Vento with that engine! Add to that higher price tag , cramped rear space and dull interiors. Ford got it completely wrong!

But if you asked me one major reason , it will surely be the prices. New Fiesta would have clocked decent numbers if it was pitted against Verna and Vento inspite of the dull and cramped interiors. And the Fluidic Verna's pricing and impressive feature list just killed the Fiesta. Only driving enthusiasts are picking this car. If i was one of them i will increase my budget and go for a Cruze or Laura instead.

Honestly Ford could have stripped few fancy features and priced it competitively.

Hi Cooldhaya,

As you said fancy, I remember the cruise control and voice recognition. Not sure how many of such thing is lying inside it as i haven't get a chance to TD it. [:)]

Three major reasons for this machine to down-sell is
1. Price
Could have been priced better. A lakh or so will really do wonders for sure.

2. Rear leg room
Come on Ford. Already mistake is done in older versions. Why repeating again? an increase in log room will again do the trick
My +1

3. Dull interiors
Not sure why black here. May be they kept fiesta sports version in mind when designing this? Biege interiors will do the trick again.
I prefer Black to Beige. All European versions of cars sold here have Black interiors. I found the new Fiesta interiors a bit Chinese.

As you said fancy, I remember the cruise control and voice recognition. Not sure how many of such thing is lying inside it as i haven't get a chance to TD it. [:)]
Voice recognition is there in Fiat's Linea too.

Both Verna and Fiesta got a face lift more or less at the same time. Where Verna was clearly looking much premium to the older one, Ford could have done much better.

After buying a car people will look at the interiors more than the exteriors. It definitely makes a lot of difference buying a car. I personally don't feel fiesta has premium or premium looking interiors.

Top Bottom