Why is Tata Indica Vista Most Under Rated Car?

350Z

Core Team
i feel the looks of the vista is neither good nor bad. i think this same car, if given to honda or suzuki, with a few nips & tucks here & there, can be made to look very good & sporty.tata has given precedence to functionality over form.
But that is one of the factor which matters most for car buyers. If everything was proportionate inside and out, maybe something better could have resulted in terms of sales.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yes, I completely agree with your statement that the Indica Vista is very possibly the most under-rated hatchback in the country at the moment. In my opinion, it looks quite nice and modern, has a decent petrol and a good diesel engine, is EXTREMELY spacious and comfortable, has a pillowy ride and is loaded with features at a mouth-watering price. Spec for spec, the Vista is probably the most VFM hatchback on sale today. I believe it has never really taken off due to poor marketing by Tata Motors and the "Indica" tag name attached to it, which basically is a second name for "Taxi" today, and that I believe is a major deterrent for first-time hatch buyers today. However, I wouldn't say that this would not do well as a first car-it is essentially a very capable hatchback, and in my opinion, right up there with the very best in its segment.

And I don't think Tata's target buyers want form over function. For them, form can come later, or even possibly never. Tata buyers have one thing on their mind, and that is functionality and space, that too in spades. And that's exactly what Tata gives us. Allow them to price their cars higher and eat me for dinner if their cars don't beat their rivals in each and every single aspect (including plastic quality, which it seems today has become a deciding factor for small car buyers).

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont think it is underrated. tata got response to vista which they deserve. seen many vista owners complaining but some are happy too. and it has only space..nothing else like features etc..maybe drivetech 4 vista is better.??

Well i wont call it under-rated! Its surely getting what it deserves. Being a TATA Vista has some niggling issues even being a new car. Unless TATA improves its A.S.S , it cannot compete against the top manufacturers no matter how good their products are! The plus points about Vista are FE and Space at an very affordable and VFM price tag!

IMO vista has only space, a good diesel engine & a cheap price tag as its main virtues.

but nowadays, customers in this price bracket are spoiled for choices. they want features, brand value, quality, fit & finish, refinement & most importantly, a good A.S.S, in which tata lacks.

Exactly my point Raj! TATA cars can never ever provide all the things which you have mentioned for atleast a few more years!!

i feel the looks of the vista is neither good nor bad. i think this same car, if given to honda or suzuki, with a few nips & tucks here & there, can be made to look very good & sporty.

tata has given precedence to functionality over form.
Honda yes, but suzuki recently making all horrible looking car. e.g - Ritz, A-star, Dzire, zen estilo, eeco etc..etc.

yes, but i think tata buyers have always wanted functionality over space. i dont recollect any tata car which is good looking as such.
I disagree that Vista is not good looking.
Infact I love the looks of all the Tata vehicles. Even Nano has its cute looks.

I am sure Vista has better looks than 2 most selling cars in segment - Ritz and Figo.

Unless TATA improves its A.S.S , it cannot compete against the top manufacturers no matter how good their products are!
It is competing very well with the top manufacturers in India. It is 2nd to only Maruti.

IMO vista has only space, a good diesel engine & a cheap price tag as its main virtues.

but nowadays, customers in this price bracket are spoiled for choices. they want features, brand value, quality, fit & finish, refinement & most importantly, a good A.S.S, in which tata lacks.
In my view apart from good engine, best FE, cheap price, it also has most of the features you would get in this segment.

About A.S.S, till some cars are not selling well, it looks A.S.S. is a very big issue. But see Figo, with very high cost of maintenance reputation also, Ford is making sure Maruti losses its market share.

Last edited:
Yes offcourse the Indica Vista is underrated because of the reasons u mentioned above also because the previous generation were sluggish and noisy which affected the metro city market. though it is a good choice with people living in small cities and towns for its room and rough and tough drive quality.
Indica Vista is getting popularity now because of its overall improved quality but for some people who doesnt understand the automotives, its gonna take time to recover and gain image of being a premium hatch.

Honda yes, but suzuki recently making all horrible looking car. e.g - Ritz, A-star, Dzire, zen estilo, eeco etc..etc.
what i meant was the jap hatches have a very clean & rounded look, something which looks well finished & executed. i feel the vista looks just like a facelifted indica.

i wont include the eeco as its a budget car & a very old design (versa).

I disagree that Vista is not good looking.
Infact I love the looks of all the Tata vehicles. Even Nano has its cute looks.
looks are subjective but the only tata car i find good looking is the safari & now the nano. nano is not exactly a stunner but since its so small, it looks cute.

I am sure Vista has better looks than 2 most selling cars in segment - Ritz and Figo.
i prefer the ritz & figo over the vista. look at i10 & swift, they look like premium cars in front of vista.

It is competing very well with the top manufacturers in India. It is 2nd to only Maruti.
More than half of the sales to the taxi market who needs just space & fuel efficiency.

I, (and maybe RSM too) completely disagree with you, Rajeev.
1.The Vista definitely does NOT look like a face lifted Indica. It is a grown up Indica, that looks damn better the swift. And I wonder how you call the design of the Marutis "well finished, & executed" when the Dzire is otherwise.
2. No one, especially someone who is a fan of the scorp's macho looks can call an Indigo Manza bad-looking. It is a 100 times better looking, and better value than the Dzire with its slapped bottom. Eve my Indigo LS looks better than the DZire, and has a very clean look, something which looks well finished & executed.
3. I can't understand how you can say that the bulbous swift which looks like a squatting toad, the Ritz, that looks like it's been kicked in the -*-*, and the Figo, that though very decent and polished, has a less pronounced stance look better than the Vista that has a very clean look, something which looks well finished & executed.
4. So what if 50% of Tata products cater to the taxi market? What's so great/bad about that?? If Tata didn't exist or didn't have products like the Spacio and Indigo on offer, Suzuki or some other Co. might have secured the position of supplying taxis.

Note: Just in case my dad buys a DZire, don't tell me I'm eating my own words.
[cheers]

I feel looks are highly subjective & i still dont like Tata's styling. i am not saying i am a fan of suzuki's styling but they do look well executed. vista's styling finished incomplete due to the following reasons:
1) the roof does not flow smoothly
2) the puny tyres & the huge wheel wells are the main culprit
3) the huge grill & the large headlights are not to my taste
4) the car looks too tall & less wide

i do not say that suzuki or mahindra cars are better (dzire & xylo is bad) but i find them to be better compared to tata's. now thats just my personal opinion.

Look at the panel gaps in all the TATA cars and other cars. That itself speaks about the quality and fit and finish of TATA cars.

Note: We have been owning TATA cars(Sierra and Safari) for around 16 years now and i know inside out about TATA and their A.S.S!

Re: Is Tata Indica Vista Currently the Most Under-Rated Car?

i personally feel that tata service centres not maintained well destroyed tata s brand name. most people opt for maruti as their spares/ service is available all over india, so no problem even if one service centre nearby is bad u have another choice. for tata that option is not there.even i heard that tata has some restriction on no more than 2 dealers at same place dont know if its true

Re: Is Tata Indica Vista Currently the Most Under-Rated Car?

just complain and see for your self . i complained long ago regarding safari service and tata took series action . I say they are improving

Top Bottom