Why Honda CBR250R Owners Are Quickly Selling their Ride?

Thread Starter #1
i got to know from many sites that many people are selling there new CBR 250R..
the reason they are giving are like
* going abroad
* going for upgrade
* or wants to buy car.
But i don't think these are the proper reason for all. Is it the mileage factor?
or what could be the other reason behind this?
[confused]

Re: Why many people selling their all new CBR250 R?

i got to know from many sites that many people are selling there new CBR 250R..
the reason they are giving are like
* going abroad
* going for upgrade
* or wants to buy car.
But i don't think these are the proper reason for all. Is it the mileage factor?
or what could be the other reason behind this?
[confused]
Welcome to TAI.

Good question. All this while I was wondering why no one has asked this question. Your doubt is absolutely genuine. As I see it, there are a couple of types of buyers who would go for such a machine:

(a) Enthusiasts

(b) Someone who is not an enthusiast but just wants a big, flashy bike with a good brand name

(c) Someone who wants a big bike (may or may not be an enthusiast) but does not want to go for Enfields

In all the above cases (and a few more others), we can safely assume that money won't be an issue.

An enthusiast knows what he is getting into (he also knows that the Ninja is also 250cc but has two cylinders), so he won't sell the bike unless there is a huge gap between his perception and actual performance of the bike (very rare) and/or dissatisfaction with after sales service.

For the (b) type, who doesn't know much about bikes and so purchases it thinking that "hmm....big fully faired Honda superbike, fat rear tyre, same as Ninja but 1.3 lakh cheaper, must be super", the difference between perceived and actual performance would actually be HUGE. The moment he realizes that this is no superbike (maybe a P220 would have overtaken him sometime - not to say that a P220 could ALWAYS overtake the CBR), he would sell it.

For the (c) type, the main reason could be the impracticality of owning such a bike (attention magnet = nicks/scratches/theft), not very good to ride under heavy traffic,etc. - the same reason why so many people are selling their Fortuners.

In all cases, and after having gone through few ownership reviews, I can conclusively rule out any deal-breaking attribute inherent to the CBR. Most owners only crib about the poor quality of plastics and some rust formation here and there and these factors could not be termed as strong enough ones for someone to sell his CBR. That's all. There was one case in which the piston had seized on a new CBR, but it could be termed as an aberration. Moreover, no cash strapped person would go for a CBR and so, fuel efficiency could not be a reason for selling the bike unless the bike is giving like, say, 15 kmpl, which can never be the case, unless there is something wrong with the settings on the bike (owners report getting between 25-37 kmpl).

On hindsight, maybe some owners of the CBR are indeed going abroad, planning an upgrade, or buying a car[;)] !

Last edited:

Even I have been seeing a lot of CBR's for sale in Goa. Obviously the owners are not satisfied.

welcome to TAI buddy! well i agree with sam. honda cbr has questionable quality and i have also seen many guys selling their brand new cbr. honda is even recalling it also. i will say get KTM or new pulsar!

Thread Starter #5
Welcome to TAI.

Good question. All this while I was wondering why no one has asked this question. Your doubt is absolutely genuine. As I see it, there are a couple of types of buyers who would go for such a machine:

(a) Enthusiasts

(b) Someone who is not an enthusiast but just wants a big, flashy bike with a good brand name

(c) Someone who wants a big bike (may or may not be an enthusiast) but does not want to go for Enfields
thanks sam...
your reason are more perfect i think with the proper explanation ...
but one more thing i have seen that the production quality of Indian version are not as good as compared to the Thai or US version.
One more thing i want to add is CBR 250R is the touring bike and the bike gives its best at higher RPM which is not possible to get in the city and most of the buyers are riding it in the city only.

Even I have been seeing a lot of CBR's for sale in Goa. Obviously the owners are not satisfied.
yes, you are right and i think my previous post will make you agree why owners are not happy, they did'nt understand this baby [frustration]

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Why Many Owners Are Quickly Selling Off Honda CBR250R?

As pointed many cbr are for sale.

Our biker , "debeyan " who owns a apache , felt the cbr 250 not that much worth.

Some one said of red line/ touring bike etc !

I have seen debeyan riding ! he needs a severe warning after the red line which is missed in each bike.

Though i do not know the exact reason for the sale/disappointment by buyers etc. I have not ride any one!

One more thing i want to add is CBR 250R is the touring bike and the bike gives its best at higher RPM which is not possible to get in the city and most of the buyers are riding it in the city only.
Spot on. rarely anybody will tour with such a bike in India especially with that sporty gesture. there is Enfield,Avenger ,Karizma,Pulsar .

I was almost sold for CBR 250 for its power . the reason I had to reject..

the ergonomics are too sporty not at all suited to comfortably ride on our Indian roads.

LOOks vs Feel had a huge gap..means the way it looks was tempting but when you ride it you feel there are other much better bikes..

the NVH was too high for a Honda standard Bike.

No Idea about ASS such bike.

I heard one of the owner had difficulty in getting new rear tire since 3 months.

The touring part is absolutely correct. The CBR is not much to ride in the city - the point and shoot nature of the, say, RTR 180 is just not there. I guess this is what Jayadev means when he says 'looks vs feel' has a huge gap. And lets be frank, how many CBR owners take it on a tour? I do not have the statistics but can say with absolute certainty that 90% of the buyers would have bought the CBR for mall hopping rather than touring, and mall hopping is not a task the CBR does any better than many other bikes available in the market.

Thread Starter #9

LOOks vs Feel had a huge gap..means the way it looks was tempting but when you ride it you feel there are other much better bikes..
i don't know then why we Indians are not satisfied with what we get. If we get a comfortable bike then we demand for a powerful bike and if we get a powerful bike then we will start our demand for the comfort again.

I heard one of the owner had difficulty in getting new rear tire since 3 months.
What i personally can say is the Indian Version CBR are not that much perfect.

I dont know why any CBR owners are not taking interest in this thread, it will be better if they will tell about the bike.

I am one of those who sold it off in 5 moths.
was amongst the early buyers, got mine in 1st week of may. I travel 50 kms to fro to my office and was very much satisfied with my R15. I was completely sold out to technical innovations in CBR & more importantly ABS.
reason for selling - driving was limited to City, hence power was of not much use, whatever power I used, handling at those speed is nowhere near R15.
The critical decision was taken because of this incident. My rear brake pads worn out at 3500 kms and inspite of following up with all dealers in mumbai/thane it was not available for whole 2nhalf months. the bike was stationery for most of the time.
Even mails (ID's sourced from Linkedin) to Honda did not help.
I dd receive a call but that was just to enquire about the problem with no solution available.
First service was done without a oil filter change as it was not available. Feel happy to get rid of it. Now I am back to R15 version2 and riding happily.

Well that's sad buying one bike for 2lakh and had to sell in few months .Don't know what Honda is thinking of us.
I was one excited to see cbr250 but didn't rush and decided to wait for at least 6months, but before that heard bad reviews about cbr250 and backed off.

I agree with others have said about the feel & usage gaps that are there, I however would like to know based on what characteristics of the Indian roads or whatever was the bike launched? Sports bikes I have fairly heard are confined to the cities & personally on my numerous tours on the highways specially 4 lane I have never seen a Sports bike if its Honda CBR 250 or whatever it maybe. Guess Honda may need to go back to the drawing board & work out some chinks in the armor?

I am one of those who sold it off in 5 moths.
was amongst the early buyers, got mine in 1st week of may. I travel 50 kms to fro to my office and was very much satisfied with my R15. I was completely sold out to technical innovations in CBR & more importantly ABS.
reason for selling - driving was limited to City, hence power was of not much use, whatever power I used, handling at those speed is nowhere near R15.
The critical decision was taken because of this incident. My rear brake pads worn out at 3500 kms and inspite of following up with all dealers in mumbai/thane it was not available for whole 2nhalf months. the bike was stationery for most of the time.
Even mails (ID's sourced from Linkedin) to Honda did not help.
I dd receive a call but that was just to enquire about the problem with no solution available.
First service was done without a oil filter change as it was not available. Feel happy to get rid of it. Now I am back to R15 version2 and riding happily.
Gap between perceived and actual performance and dissatisfaction with after sales service. Bang on[cheers] !

Honda is aware of the blunder they have created in terms of after sales service. On a monthly basis the service center in thane is arranging a owners meet (includes a free lunch) & free check up.

Honda is aware of the blunder they have created in terms of after sales service. On a monthly basis the service center in thane is arranging a owners meet (includes a free lunch) & free check up.
Will they get the spares even when paid ?[lol]

They should have been more cautious with the spares in the first place.

Top Bottom