Why Hate Hyundai?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I was fed up of posts like this :
Well if someone is dissatisfied with a product he has a right to voice his opinion.

My question to those who just post for sake of it(or any other reason)
1. Why you are driving such insane speeds at our roads?
What's your definition of insane speed. Cars are meant to be driven fast.

2. While TD, make sure the car fits your needs. If you want high speed cruiser, get other car.
That's exactly what people who make posts like this do after selling their Hyundai.

3. If someone ask for car recommendation inside city, Hyundai is more than enough.
That's your opinion.

But why spam the thread stating Hyundai steering is lifeless, when all the OP want was a car for city commute.
That's his opinion. Everyone has a right to voice his opinion. That's not spamming.

I simply don't blame any car for what it offers. I knew what I was getting and I happily accept and move on.
That again is your choice.

I am not writing this just because I own a Hyundai. In my family, we have MS, M&M, Ford, Renault, HM, and a lot more in extended family. I drive Figo one day and next day I drive my Xcent. But I never complain Xcent, but I adore and enjoy the drive, for what it offers.
We have owned Fiat, Renault, Maruti, Skoda, Ford and Hyundai. And yes the suspension and handling of the Hyundai is the worst. Otherwise the car is good. Good fit and finish, comfortable interiors, good styling and trouble free (I didn't spend 1 paisa above fuel and routine servicing costs on my i10).

Every car has something unique. You are free to choose the car you drive. I like the light steering of Hyundai much better in B2B traffic, rather than Figo's unit. But I never go to the extent to say Figo is crappy in B2B traffic. I guess you get my point.
No one is stopping you from liking Hyundai. Don't stop others from hating it.

I get it, Hyundai's not a good handler at high speeds, but then it is good at low speeds, Right?
No, it's not good at low speeds too.

What will be the average joe's speed at our indian roads? 90-100 max. And for that speed, Hyundai's are just doing fine, and in fact, it has been improved a lot lately. If you want to cruise at insane speeds, get Germans or whatever and don't simply hate Hyundai's.
Agreed. Buy another Hyundai. Don't impose your views on others.

If user1, who is not an enthu and newbie driver, want a simple no-frills hatch and loaded one for city commute with tight budget, suggest him cheaper G-i10 rather than expensive Polo, just because Polo is good at handling.

I am open to any suggestion and discussion regarding this. I went to a point, where I see someone say Hyundai & bad handling, I stopped replying to those posts, thinking that will not change anything. But now, after sobering up, I write this!
The important thing is if you are happy with a car say it. If not say it. Each one is entitled to his opinion. This opinions will help others make an informed choice.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Honda city sells as it has good fuel economy both with ivtec and idtec, also it has more gizmos than verna-
Sunroof,touchscreen audio and Ac control.
i don't believe the mileage figures of the city.

ivtec - my 2 friends have them and they both give them 10kmpl , previous generation.
idtec - again , don't know how much it gives. i have read on this forum , verna , rapid and even vento diesel gives around 12 kmpl in the city.

my petrol verna's latest fill ups , check image. my i10 gives me anywhere between 12-13kmpl in city.

Screenshot_2015-05-13-14-43-03.png

so those who say city ivtec gives 15 kmpl in city , i don't believe them. it's as simple as that. many people say good things about the city so maybe this is one of the heard things which everyone keeps on sharing to others.

last month, my cousin asked the 30K km service charge for their 4 year old i10 sports and the rate they mentioned was Rs.9k. This car needed accelerater cable replacement, but badly not available in all cochin ASS for more than 1 month and bought from outside. there was a sound coming when switched on Ac,they said need to replace the compressor. Now we are ignoring the sound.

at 30k kms , change oil(850 rs )
oil filter(100 ) ,
air filter(200) ,
coolant(400 rs ) (inspect first )
maybe new spark plugs. (400 rs)
service charges (1150)
throttle body cleaning (135)
fuel injector cleaning : (340 )[/B]
fuel pump cleaning : (275)
other than this i am sure nothing has to be changed as per the schedule.

this sums up to around 4300rs including tax.( say 5000 since the bill is 2-3 years old ) so please do tell me what all he recommended to be done. if you write please write in details as to what constituted that 9k. this is again against hyundai. this should be against the service center personnel which charges money for silly things like ac disinfection , engine conditioner. and every service center, be it VW , skoda , maruti, fiat, does that to earn good money.

i got my car serviced and many other things from above plus a clutch replacement in 9000 rs. here's the bill
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...undai-trio-santro-i10-verna-7.html#post206503

welcome to India. word of mouth is the most powerful advertisement than the ads on TV which a company spends crores on. do we drive on tracks to follow these kind of feed backs or are we here to get the feel and say X brand is better than Y or just listen to the track gurus..
many people say maruti has low service cost which isn't the case and because of this my cousin got himself a swift and didn't take the i20. no TD , nothing.

German cars loose on space, ASS and overall maintenance, but no one can deny that those cars are hoot to drive! Throw them to corners, go 100+ and these will feel planted on the road.

Hyundai has been consistently working to improve their cars in these parameters, like 2014 Verna had better (little stiffened) suspensions than 2011 Verna. Elite i20 rides little better than earlier generation. But definitely miles to go before they get it corrected.

If one follows Verna on highway, you can easily see the boat like movement of Verna [;)], no offence meant to the owners!
very well said. but you do know the reason why the germans don't sell much. most people buy a car for the whole family so what you mentioned in hyundai and maruti ticks boxes for them and that's why they sell more.

about the suspension , no one will feel offended if someone spoke the truth. i have been to highways , i should say not that good highways and i have seen my headlight go up and down , up and down. the suspension is too soft.

and this is the point i have been saying from the very start. suspension is the main culprit which has been improved.

grand i10 has better suspension than my verna. i am not saying because i read reviews or to heard from someone. i TD the grand i10 and came to this conclusion.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #33
The important thing is if you are happy with a car say it. If not say it. Each one is entitled to his opinion. This opinions will help others make an informed choice.
I am not trying to impose my views. Just read the complete discussion. [frustration]

Everyone has their views. And I have mine. I am clear with that and clearly mentioned in my post too! My intention was to give people honest suggestion when asked for.

If XX make car has excellent handling but lacks features, will you suggest it to sedate newbie non-enthu driver, when all he needed was a car which should come with all bells & whistles and a radio? This is what happens in a lot of place.

I agree, for enthusiast driver, we should suggest accordingly. People who drive Hyundai's in highways are happy with their ride as much as Honda/VW etc guys. If that's the case, why generalize a car saying that Hyundai's not good at highway. Does it sound real? No.

You have your opinion, but when someone need car for A, suggest for A. Not for B. This is what I am asking!

i still don't understand the high speed nervous handling. i have taken my santro , my i10 and even my verna on highways.

if someone is going 80-90kmph and you have to overtake you'll increase your speed , you'll overtake then move towards the left in front of it( 2 lane highways ) and it all is done without any problem. so where's is the high speed nervous handling[confused] if anyone could explain it to me , please do.
Well let me try to explain from my personal experience.6 years back I had an A star considered to be a good handler in its segment.I was driving in the night on a slightly wet road at about 80 to 90 kms/ hour.I strongly suspect the quality of the tarring also contributed to this incident.But I was alone ;it was dark and no music was on.I dozed off for like two seconds and I open my eyes to see a corner approaching.I brake and the car looses control totally.The abs frantically kicks in but to no avail.The car slides on its own trajectory turns 180 degrees and slams upfront against the mudwall on the side of the road.I came out without a scratch.Sheer Gods grace.The front crumblezones absorb the impact.The radiator leaks.But I was quite shocked at the amount of damage because the speed had waned considerably at the time of impact.I tell you manufacturers are making a fool of us by shodding tiny 155 section tyres.Changed to Michelins XMO wider footprint and the grip levels were totally different.Moral of the story: You can doze off even on short journeys.(No excuse).The OE tyres are crap.The sheet metal thickness of later Japanese cars are questionable.I was a fool.Case in point my baleno, the driver dropped it into a deep ditch;three guys picked up the car and voila no damage.Why do you think the Amaze is limited to 140 kms/hour.I strongly suspect its the weedy tyres.They cannot handle anything more.

I am not trying to impose my views. Just read the complete discussion. [frustration]
I have read it. Your view is that Hyundai's are good handlers. Most other people think they are not good handlers. You have a problem that they don't agree to your views. Hence your thread. If you don't want them to agree to your views, what's the aim of this thread.

Everyone has their views. And I have mine. I am clear with that and clearly mentioned in my post too! My intention was to give people honest suggestion when asked for.
So if you say that Hyundai's are not good handlers, is that not an honest suggestion?

If XX make car has excellent handling but lacks features, will you suggest it to sedate newbie non-enthu driver, when all he needed was a car which should come with all bells & whistles and a radio? This is what happens in a lot of place.
No one has said that Hyundai lacks features and quality. If you had any idea about driving, you would know that handling is required even for non-enthu drivers. Handling is not only for driving fast. It's important for maintaining control of the car in all situations. I think you know the benefits of maintaining control of the car at all times.

I agree, for enthusiast driver, we should suggest accordingly. People who drive Hyundai's in highways are happy with their ride as much as Honda/VW etc guys. If that's the case, why generalize a car saying that Hyundai's not good at highway. Does it sound real? No.
Again I think you don't have experience behind the wheel of a car than handles well.

You have your opinion, but when someone need car for A, suggest for A. Not for B. This is what I am asking!
If someone needs car A he will buy car A. He will not ask for suggestions. Normally people ask for suggestions because they don't know. Then people suggest A or B. The person will then make a decision based on the various suggestions. Usually the suggestions are based on personal experience. So don't tell us what to suggest. When someone ask for suggestions we will suggest whatever we want. Don't tell us what to suggest. We always suggest keeping in mind that we want to help.

Speaking about the steering. Yes, Hyundai offers very light steering and It will be quite nasty and unacceptable for a person who takes "test drive".

My car is Maruti A-star.
I have seen many people cursing about its heavy steering wheel. Infact, I'm driving with even more heavier steering since I upgraded the tyres from 155mm to 175mm width. May be because I learned driving from amby, I feel more comfortable with little heavier steering wheel. So its not at all a problem for me.

Recently, my sister and her husband was planning for their first car and my duty was to help them by taking test drives of the diesel cars which comes around 8 lac.

So got to test drive amaze, polo and ecospot. Amaze and Ecospot went out of the list soon after taking the test drive, due to the negatives that "we found" which we cant be neglected.
Where as, I'm sold on to this polo tdi due to its engine performances and for its high speed planted drive[evil]. But still I was not convinced with its steering since it was too soft compared to my A-star[roll]. I felt less confident in polo at 90kmph just because of its steering. Knowing my feedback SA was like[surprise]

Here the issue is, its been 6 years I'm highly tuned to my A-star's heavier steering wheel and I was holding the vw steering for the first time. Hence found the difficulties.

Finally after considering and neglecting few more cars, we ended up with the Vento tdi.
After the delivery, my hands were on the vento's steering wheel for the next 10 days. I didn't even drive my A-star even once in between. With in a few days I found ventos steering to be perfectly fine for any kind of driving.

Later, after this 10 days I came back to home and was taking my A-star off from the car porch.
Soon after moving the car a bit, the first thing I did was starring at the instrument cluster for any kind of Engine Check Light or power steering failure light :O
Seriously I couldn't believe, I was badly spoiled with the tremendous torque and the super light steering of the vento which made me to think, something went wrong since my car is kept idle for 10 days and its been almost 6 years old. So it took couple of hours for me to get tuned to this car A-star to drive as like before and another 3 days to stop getting confused with the wiper and indicator lever. :D

So in short, it may be too soft to get enough handling for a person who takes test drive of a hyundai car, since its steering is pretty light compared to most of the other branded cars available over here. Later it wont be a problem for him, since he will get tuned with his new hyundai car within a few days. :)

Suppose, if you are a person who is interested in Verna but bothered about its steering and handling, then just go for a pretty long test drive, a 100kms for drive. Most of the dealer will allow you to do if you are willing to pay the fuel expenses. So at the end of the drive you will know is that acceptable for you or not.

This video link is for those who think Hyundai cars are tough to handle or to do cornering at safe/pretty good speed on our roads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCjVXrLB_3k

I hope nobody over here are way too foolish do these kinds of insane way of driving with any of the branded cars on our public roads.

Its not to support or to hurt anyone, just thought to share my view :/

Regards.,

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ peter -
. And yes the suspension and handling of the Hyundai is the worst. Otherwise the car is good. Good fit and finish, comfortable interiors, good styling and trouble free (I didn't spend 1 paisa above fuel and routine servicing costs on my i10).
Ok so everyone is entitled to their opinion i got it.

Which hyundai cars does your family had in the past ? Your last line tells me you owned an i10. But why did you say that suspesnion and handling is the worst in a HYUNDAI? Why not just the i10 ? Did you own any other hyundai just like i asked ? Did you drive any other hyundai car than the i10 ?

If not then how can you say HYUNDAI HAS THE WORST SUSPENSION AND HANDLING ?
If yes , then how come you didn't mention the names of the hyundai Cars that you owned or have driven ?

Also , let's take city as an example since i learnt a new thing about it. I READ that city has lifeless steering at highway speeds , although in the main Honda city thread most of them mentioned how small the tyre size is which has a negative impact on the handling ?

I saw someone say he went till 140kmph and the handling is good ? Why did he say that ?

Why did no one say anything about the lifeless steering of the new Honda city ?

I have seen many people recommending honda city to any potential sedan buyer and never i have read about the lifeless steering as a negative point , have just heard about the bad nvh levels.

Now let's get back to the topic "why hate hyundai"

It's because of the thing i wrote above. People say things what they have heard.

The same person will not realise the lifeless ssteering of the city just because no one told him and he will continue driving like that.

But new Verna offers far less features than its rivals,as I mentioned earlier,existing features if retained it would have still had higher sales figure.

Any vtvt owners here, check your car's mileage after 40 k km,it will drop into half its present figure.
My cousin's city 2011 model ivtec getting 13 in city traffic and 16 in highways, I think it depends on run in,he had taken 1200 km long drive for first service and he tuned it quite wisely.

Thread Starter #40
But new Verna offers far less features than its rivals,as I mentioned earlier,existing features if retained it would have still had higher sales figure.

Any vtvt owners here, check your car's mileage after 40 k km,it will drop into half its present figure.
My cousin's city 2011 model ivtec getting 13 in city traffic and 16 in highways, I think it depends on run in,he had taken 1200 km long drive for first service and he tuned it quite wisely.
[frustration]

How can you say this!! Any car, maintained well will tend to give better mileage figures than poorly maintained one! Just don't blame on a engine!

I don't hate hyundai cars, but yes, I do hate hyundai for following reason.

Second generation diesel Verna had waiting period of 8 months 3 years back., so I started searching for special things offered by Verna which has led to this situation.
All I could find is that it offers only better interiors as compared to competition.
And competition was offering better steering experience on highway, better handling, better ride quality better comfort than Verna, and still their price is way lesser than Verna.
And still I didn't hated the Verna because in the departments mentioned above it is not worst also, but I hate hyundai for charging a premium price & such long waiting period and thus taking undue disadvantage of the custemers who are not well studied before buying the car.
And if Verna doesn't handle better than the cheaper competition, then what's the use of the boasting about its quickness reaching 0 to 100 km, And why their speedo calibration shows figures like 140,160.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ tornado , please check the image. In 2012 there was huge rise in diesel demand , even the swift twons had so much waiting period.

Anyways , your experience was bad i get it. But would you tell the same experience to everyone ? A 3 year old experience ?

I bought my verna in 2012, i20 diesel had 2 months waiting and even the verna had 2 months waiting at least from where i contacted. Although got my verna , january manufactured petrol in february.

And can you please tell me about the cars in competition, i won't mind searching for them and then can tell you if hyundai really charged a premium or not for what it offered.

Attachments

@ peter -

Ok so everyone is entitled to their opinion i got it.
Too bad some people have a problem with others opinion.

Which hyundai cars does your family had in the past ? Your last line tells me you owned an i10. But why did you say that suspesnion and handling is the worst in a HYUNDAI? Why not just the i10 ? Did you own any other hyundai just like i asked ? Did you drive any other hyundai car than the i10 ?
I have owned an i10 and my inlaws owned a 1st Gen Verna. Besides these 2 cars I have extensively driven an Accent, the new Verna and an i20. Also briefly driven the Eon and 1st Gen Elantra.

If not then how can you say HYUNDAI HAS THE WORST SUSPENSION AND HANDLING ?
See above. Based on that and my experience of other cars I have come to this opinion. I have not said Hyundai is the worst. Only the suspension and handling. Besides that the cars are very good.

If yes , then how come you didn't mention the names of the hyundai Cars that you owned or have driven ?
Why should I? Did anyone ask? Now that you asked I have mentioned.

Also , let's take city as an example since i learnt a new thing about it. I READ that city has lifeless steering at highway speeds , although in the main Honda city thread most of them mentioned how small the tyre size is which has a negative impact on the handling ?
I found the suspension and handling better than Hyundai but the steering was a bit lifeless compared to European cars.

I saw someone say he went till 140kmph and the handling is good ? Why did he say that ?
Ask him. It's his opinion.

Why did no one say anything about the lifeless steering of the new Honda city ?
Ask them.

I have seen many people recommending honda city to any potential sedan buyer and never i have read about the lifeless steering as a negative point , have just heard about the bad nvh levels.
They are recommending, not forcing you to buy.

People say things what they have heard.
Sometimes. But that does not mean it is not true. Many people also say things based on experience.

The same person will not realise the lifeless ssteering of the city just because no one told him and he will continue driving like that.
Then if you are so concerned, you should inform him of the same.

The video proves that Hyundai in that video is/was a good handler. I mentioned the same in the 2nd post in this very thread. If Hyundai have biggest negative in Dynamics, Maruti too is right there with Poor Biuld Quality. But they are the most selling brand in India. I have already said many times that all cars are good and you do have some disadvantages associated with every car. So Hyundai also is one of them. There are some things which once if told will be forever in people's mind. The best example is the Diesel Engine of Honda. Ever since the Amaze was launched, the diesel engine was very noisy, this was carried over to the city, Mobilio and even the next launch from them, the Jazz will have same thing "Noisy Engine". No one has bothered to check how much more refined engine of Mobilio is compared to Amaze. Like this, some real disadvantages that Hyundai's once had will be mentioned everywhere despite being improved. So, we should recommend cars based on requirements and not just what they offer. Leaving out Honda City for noisy diesel, poor build etc and Grand i10 for Small tires, body roll etc are all the blunders IMO. All cars offer something in them and if you're specific about some things, you must choose that car which ticks that specific needs. I forced my brother to buy i20 Elite, because he drives car from Point A to B. So he wanted a car with good engine, safety features, good aftersales. So leaving out Elite i20 weaknesses, I made him to go ahead with it despite having so many options.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #45
Then if you are so concerned, you should inform him of the same.
Posting answers instead of constructive points will not get us anywhere! If someone took their time to write something, at least give them a proper reply. Not treat those posts like some joke!

What's with "Inform him!", "I didn't say", "No one asked" kinda replies gonna do to this thread?

Dude, we all know every cars has it's pros & cons. And we are trying our best to educate people in various forums. And there is no issue with that et al! But the real problem was someone who only state the cons and emphasize it over pros, and thus not suggesting the particular car, which can suit for the buyers needs! Got it?

I wish I can give you more elaborate example, but by after going through your last reply, I lost hope. So I am not gonna repeat what I wrote a couple of posts earlier.

@nishant5858
Well said bro. @P3T3R - This is what I am talking about. Read the previous reply from nishant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom