Why Don't People Reclaim Their Stolen Vehicle in India?

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

This question has been pestering my mind for a long time. Why people are at-large hesitant on re-claiming their lost vehicle if it is recovered in our country?

A person's hard earned money is involved in this and unfortunately if the theft occurs then after a official complaint the owner looses hope of the vehicle being traced back.

But if once in a blue moon, the vehicle is traced and the owner is informed then why do they hesitate in re-claiming it?

I have seen in many authorities the unclaimed vehicles are pilled up and eventually they ultimately deteriorate. This is a sad thing in my view.

I'll be happy to hear your views on the topic and look forward to a good discussion.

Regards

Akash

AMG

Suspended
Re: Why don't people re-claim their stolen vehicle in India?

Current rules say that if the police cant find the vehicle in 7 days, it is given an no trce certificate, and you get paid by the insurance company.

Once paid by the company, even if the car is found, it belongs to the company, and you cant claim it.

Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Once paid by the company, even if the car is found, it belongs to the company, and you cant claim it.
Ok. But still there are so many vehicles in authorities that are neither claimed by insurance provider nor by the owner. If as per rule the owner can't claim after being reimbursed still why aren't insurance companies active enough in claiming these vehicles?

In this lapse, the car suffers a lot. I have seen in reality, the car ultimately began to rust profusely simply because it was not taken care-of.

Do the authorities even bother to inform the insurance companies if the vehicle is found after 7 days?

Regards

Akash

AMG

Suspended

Ok. But still there are so many vehicles in authorities that are neither claimed by insurance provider nor by the owner. If as per rule the owner can't claim after being reimbursed still why aren't insurance companies active enough in claiming these vehicles?

In this lapse, the car suffers a lot. I have seen in reality, the car ultimately began to rust profusely simply because it was not taken care-of.

Do the authorities even bother to inform the insurance companies if the vehicle is found after 7 days?

Regards

Akash

Because till the police case goes on, you cannot dispose the vehicle.

Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Here are a few stats of stolen and recovered vehicle in major Indian cities and the guidelines issued by Delhi High Court.

fareye3.jpg

de14-CASE-PROPE_de_2106956e.jpg

Link and google.

Regards

Akash

AMG

Suspended
Recovered here means got back.

Its not that the others are not claimed, its that they are just never found. Most probably either scrapped or resold on forged documents.

I've just found much more to do here since Akash joined [clap]

If we leave the insurance and all aside, I would say people do this based on religious/superstitious reasons though I might be wrong. I mean, nobody thinks on the lines that "This vehicle has faithfully served us all these days, and now we abandon it, and then put my hard-earned money down the drain." Now, a bit irrelevant: Thanks to this small world, when going to pick up my elder brother from the railway station I got to witness an interesting scene : A policeman standing beside a really badly crashed Swift was talking to some nuns. Well, nothing special in that but wait for it...They were (probably) the same nuns residing in the house beside me, who had bought a new Swift after selling their good ol' Omni, and asked my mother (Who knows how to drive) to teach them driving. I thought "Well, I didn't see the faces so it might not be them" but after coming home, I was damn sure that they were them. Reasons? The time was around 7 am so they were most probably going to the convent, which was on the same path. 2. Their car was not at home for 5-6 days and in that period they had bought a used WagonR, and after the Swift came from repairs, it was immediately sold to another neighbor who probably didn't know about that accident (I have a fight with them so didn't ask.). Back to the point, I mean to say that people want to wash their hands off a car which had an untoward incident in any way, ASAP. So most people blindly tell the car to F-off. And the insurance makes matters worse. [frustration] And again, many stolen cars are stripped off their parts and sold so it is unlikely that they will be recovered. And many are used for illegal activities, which makes it worse. What does the insurance companies do with the cars anyway? They cannot sell it, can they?

Top Bottom