Why Rear Windows Of Some Cars Don't Fully Roll Down?

Any reason why the windows roll down only 60%?? I mean this is new to me i have never heard of this before in any car!!
Yesterday,me and my friend went to Ford showroom to have a look at Figo,as he is planning to buy it for his dad.
I sat on the front and the rear seats and when i rolled down the rear windows,it came only half the way.When i enquired about this to the sales adviser,he said that it is due to child's safety issues and the other reason being,the absence of the quarter mirror in the rear.

One big reason why this is not a big issue in hatchbacks is that the mass market for these models in in Europe, or maybe Japan, where the usage of the rear seat is very low. Most of these hatchbacks are primarily designed with these markets in mind.
In such cases, these aspects can be safely ignored by the designer, without arousing much ire.
Now that the Indian market is gaining significance, I am sure "designed for India" cars will try and avoid this, given the higher usage of the rear seat.
Till then, marketing gimmicks like "the safety aspect" will rule!!

Thread Starter #18
My friend recently went to the showroom to have a look at the figo , he is planning to buy one after selling his Ikon to them! When asked about the absence of the power windows in the rear they have said that the window is too large for the power windows to function effectively , so its manual!!:redface:

That is a hilarious statement, and coming from a showroom person, that is actually unforgivable!!

Hi guys, i also heard from a mechanic that rear windows dont roll down fully because of wheel so this must be the reason.

to hide(roll down) the rear glass ,you need that much space in door but it is less than the glass area due to wheel arches
if if you see most MUVs (e.g.sumo etc) have full glass roll down due to less wheel arch influence thats all

Yesterday,me and my friend went to Ford showroom to have a look at Figo,as he is planning to buy it for his dad.
I sat on the front and the rear seats and when i rolled down the rear windows,it came only half the way.When i enquired about this to the sales adviser,he said that it is due to child's safety issues and the other reason being,the absence of the quarter mirror in the rear.
The second point is more accurate rather than the first one. It is just because of the design of the door that they ended up in this position.

Child safety is "cheap" gimmick. This point was not floating around initially, i.e., when ford got launched. But as more and more people starting asking the exact reason, the dealers came up with this obnoxious point. A simple answer as "its because of the door design" would suffice. That is what my sales person said to me and I accepted it.
-----------Next Post-----------
My friend recently went to the showroom to have a look at the figo , he is planning to buy one after selling his Ikon to them! When asked about the absence of the power windows in the rear they have said that the window is too large for the power windows to function effectively , so its manual!!:redface:
Then I guess the excutive cars come with heavy duty motors in that case [lol]. Probably that is the reason why those cars are so heavy.[:D]

Last edited:
Again i went to ford showroom yesterday .
Mostly we may settle for the figo

I thought of this thread and asked the sales guy about this . he said child safety . pet can be taken and it can also enjoy some free air etc. He doesnt know about me

The manager , who knows very well about me and so do i about him had a good laugh on his comment later . He said you must ask ford for this and also no power window even in the titanium model

350Z

Core Team
Just tell this: Can't the windows of other cars be rolled down half way if we've to take our pet along? (Given that pet isn't a car maniac and knows how to roll down window!!). That was just a really funny answer.

Drive Safe,
350Z

just bring yourself to see tata indica vista aura model and see how perfect and clever tata guys are ,if only they could improve upon plastic quality what a car it would be...it have largest windows in the lot and all of them completely roll down into the doors. no cheaptricks nor funny reasons!!!
tata rocks

Thread Starter #26
Yeah better design from TATA and yeah even while booking my Aria i was quite surprised that they actually managed to explain most of the features and specs to me!

But still no news about my Aria from them![sleep]

If I'm correct, the glass completely rolls down in most of the sedans and Yes, as sriharsha said, Side Impact Beams matters too.

Drive Safe,
350Z
yup in our corolla glass completely roll down even in safari so i don't think so they didn't kept security of kids in mind [lol]

This is one question I wanted to ask but didn't know where or whom. I am satisfied with 'wheels arches' reasoning.
Can't believe the 2Fs (Ford & Fiat) passing their flaw as features.

This is one question I wanted to ask but didn't know where or whom. I am satisfied with 'wheels arches' reasoning.
Can't believe the 2Fs (Ford & Fiat) passing their flaw as features.
even flaws turn into features.
do not get surprised ,that is also part of marketing.
i read somewhere in internet when a guy took his new i20 for steering rattle issue the se said it is part of adjustable steering and quite normal.

similarly when i went for swift.

they said waiting period is 3-4 months. but if you buy accessories worth rs30000 ,the car will be available within a month .

all they want is sell it off.

I find only the wheel arch reason valid. Other point especially the safety feature sounds rubbish.

even flaws turn into features.
do not get surprised ,that is also part of marketing.
i read somewhere in internet when a guy took his new i20 for steering rattle issue the se said it is part of adjustable steering and quite normal.
That issue is common with some i10s too.[/QUOTE]

similarly when i went for swift.

they said waiting period is 3-4 months. but if you buy accessories worth rs30000 ,the car will be available within a month .
all they want is sell it off.
This is quite surprising. For 30k, i dont think they will give you anything more than a spoiler, Audio system, and fog lamps, while the same amount when spent outside will get you the mentioned accessories in addition to many more.

Top Bottom