Why Does Punto Have Hydraulic Power Steering?

Thread Starter #1
Yesterday, me and wifey were coming back frrom Nashik and we got into the dicussion about different cars and lightness of steering. The conversation is below:

Wifey: Our car's (Punto) steering is heavier than other car's?
Me: Yes.
Wifey: Why so?
Me: I think so it is because Punto have hydraulic power steering.
Wifey: If that is so, then why dont Punto also have Elecronic Power steering like other cars. What are the benefits of HPS over EPS?
Me: [confused]

Now question goes to all. :-)

Re: Why Punto have Hydraulic Power steering?

HPS is heavier but gives more feel, unlike EPS which is lighter & easier to navigate but doesn't have much feedback from the road & tyres. Most manufcturers stick to EPS as people look more for driving comfort than racing pleasure. HPS helps in better mileage though unlike EPS. Modern EPS systems are designed in such a way that it is very light at low speeds(to aid parking) & weighs up nicely as speed increases. But very few manufacturers have been able to do this especially in <10lac bracket.

Yesterday, me and wifey were coming back frrom Nashik and we got into the dicussion about different cars and lightness of steering. The conversation is below:

Wifey: Our car's (Punto) steering is heavier than other car's?
Me: Yes.
Wifey: Why so?
Me: I think so it is because Punto have hydraulic power steering.
Wifey: If that is so, then why dont Punto also have Elecronic Power steering like other cars. What are the benefits of HPS over EPS?
Me: [confused]

Now question goes to all. :-)
Which all cars come with EPS?

HPS is heavier than EPS.But HPS can be made lighter .HPS can be overly assisted to make it lighter like in our beat.

EPS consumes less power so HPS consume more fuel.
HPS helps in better mileage though unlike EPS
.This statement is wrong!

Now we can see manufacturers going for EPS like BMW.Foreign punto evo has an EPS steering.

I am glad Punto comes with HPS instead of EPS. Punto is known for its superb steering feel & precision & credit can be given to the HPS for that.

I feel EPS lacks the firmness at high speeds. No doubt, it may feel awesome at parking speeds but when the speeds rise, it feels dead.

Positives of HPS over EPS :

1) More feel

Positives of EPS over HPS :

1) EPS does not sap power from engine, so it is more fuel efficient
2) EPS does not require any oil/maintainence

Most of the Indian customers term a lighter steering as a good steering. That is the reason EPS is preferred over HPS.

HPS helps in better mileage though unlike EPS.
EPS is more fuel efficient than HPS since HPS saps engine power.

Which all cars come with EPS?
All Marutis, Hondas, etc. Many cars have EPS.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks. Now I can answer my wife with full detailing :-)

But the question is still there as in "Why Punto using HPS and not EPS"?
The only reason being better ride, control and precision.

EPS is for average drivers who would like to just steer the car with minimum effort. But at high speeds, you will feel like there is no direct connection between the steering and the wheels.

HPS is for someone who really enjoys driving and wouldn't mind a bit heavy steering at slow speeds. You will get the connected feel with a HPS steering.

Although some EPS units are nearly as good as HPS.

My car VW polo has 'Electric hydraulic power assist' type of steering. Under what category does it come. Hydraulic or electric??

I have felt the steering becoming stiffer at higher speed...

Its a combination of electric & hydraulic system.

It works like a conventional hydraulic power steering, but it uses electric power instead of sapping power from the engine. This improves fuel efficiency.

But, I find the Polo's steering to be too light and devoid of any feedback. That was the only issue with the drive of that car.

Last edited:
Its a combination of electric & hydraulic system.

It works like a conventional hydraulic power steering, but it uses electric power instead of sapping power from the engine. This improves fuel efficiency.

But, I find the Polo's steering to be too light and devoid of any feedback. That was the only issue with the drive of that car.
Okk, thanks for info raj.
Yes, the steering is quite light but it gets hard at higher speeds. I wish it was bit more stiff for slow speeds too.

Top Bottom