"White Whale" Comes Home: Tata Manza Quadrajet Ownership Report

bhvm

Honoured Member
Rear AC is certainly not easy to do.
You'll need custom ducting & have to route it from the floor or roof.

Instead make sure your front AC is working well. Gas top up often helps cooling.

Thread Starter #137
Bad news comes :
My father had taken the car for a tour. I got a call yesterday from my dad and he said the car started a very very loud tak-tak sound from engine so he stopped the car and turned off engine. Being in unknown state, he straightaway called a tow truck and towed the car to nearest Tata service centre which was 35 kilometers away. The service guys moved around the car for around 30-40 minutes and told my dad that Engine replacement is to be done!!!! I got shocked at that movement as its been just less than 6 months since we drove the car. My dad took the car out from the service centre and went to another mechanic. He told that he would open the car and tell him about it. Let's see how it goes....

Thread Starter #139
Repairs Done!!!!!
It was a very happy moment for me when the car came back home after doing nearly 90% engine overhaul.
Total costs came around to be 69,900 Rs. ( Including 11,300 Rs. of labor)
Many main parts including crankshaft, pistons and more were changed and the car now behaves as if we have just taken it straight out of the showroom.
The best part is, that the car gave 24.8 kmpl of mileage on a recent trip.
This might be due to the fact that the mechanic told us to run-in for about 1500 kilometers and keep speed less than 55 kmph.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
70k is big enough money!!! That almost 50 percent of what you paid for the car. You surely love this Manza.
Did you ever give a thought for lateral upgrade/changing to another pre-loved car?

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Yes, this was a good opportunity to move from manza to Safari..however no one would buy a damaged car.

Else this seems like a typical timing belt failure which causes valves to hit pistons, simply destroying entire engine.

Another Tata negative.

Thread Starter #144
Congrats on the new engine.

But why did this happen?
BTW don't drive like a grandpa. 56kmph is certainly too slow. Use all speeds & all gears. Slow driving causes lugging the engine.
Slowly slowly I would increase my speed as don't know why but I still can't trust the new engine. Having experienced the noise the older engine created, it gave me goosebumps!!
Congratulations, no worry about engine now.!

People along will curse you if you drive this big car at 55/60kmph[roll]
Thanks for the well wishes sir.
I also used to say this to people who drive their Cruze, Camry or these types of cars on low speeds.
In these last 300-400 kilometers after engine overhaul, all the small cars were overtaking me including even cars like Alto 800, k10 ,santro , figo etc. Now you all have given me a boost, now I won't let anyone overtake me!.!
70k is big enough money!!! That almost 50 percent of what you paid for the car. You surely love this Manza.
Did you ever give a thought for lateral upgrade/changing to another pre-loved car?
Yes Sir I do love the car. But just the moment the Tata guys told me 90k for repairs, I thought of dumping the car for 5-10k but a trusted person gave me address of the mechanic who reissued the car for 69.9k . I thought of buying another car but this car had nice stories so I decided to get it repaired.
Yes, this was a good opportunity to move from manza to Safari..however no one would buy a damaged car.

Else this seems like a typical timing belt failure which causes valves to hit pistons, simply destroying entire engine.

Another Tata negative.
Even the mechanic told me that timing belt was damaged and this caused all of the failure!!
By the way, have you fine car mechanics degree?? Because you answer all of my queries about car engine correctly even though your and mine cars are different!!.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #145
Update : 1,00,000 Kilometers completed!!
One engine overhaul, many funny instances and the cars is now running smooth as ever.
Now, I am a happy Manza owner!
By the way, which full size sedan manufactured before 2015 and below 12 lakh price grabs your attention? Everyone answer please.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Do post the funny incidents. Would love to read.

Before 2015 Means are you talking about used market?
Then there are some hidden gems if you are okay with some personal TLC.

1. Sonata gold 2.7 or sonata embera 2.4.

2. Honda accord 200bhp. V6.

3. Skoda VRS turbo.

These would be fun to buy & enjoy on a whim. As a weekender.

Thread Starter #147
Once a not so funny incident was that we were driving down a very low lit road at around 90-100 kmph. Then a black Cruze started racing us. He was overpowered than us. We knew that a speed check was coming about. We increased speed a bit till 130-140 and so did he. Then we changed to left lane and he went past us zooming at around 150-160 we slowed down, but he didnt. Some 5-10 minutes after we saw him standing on left side with a traffic police which stopped him for overspeeding!! I was laughing very hard at that moment.!.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Update : 1,00,000 Kilometers completed!!
One engine overhaul, many funny instances and the cars is now running smooth as ever.
Good to hear that your Manza is doing fine now, especially after the engine overhaul.[cheers]

By the way, which full size sedan manufactured before 2015 and below 12 lakh price grabs your attention? Everyone answer please
I owned Ford Fiesta 1.6 and I liked it very much. My friend had a Nissan Sunny which I did drive a couple of times and felt good (among the two, I still give preference to Fiesta). Honda City also a good car, but I never had a chance to drive one .!

By the way, what you are going to do with all our answers?? Are you doing some kind of market research?[roll]

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Once a not so funny incident was that we were driving down a very low lit road at around 90-100 kmph. Then a black Cruze started racing us. He was overpowered than us. We knew that a speed check was coming about. We increased speed a bit till 130-140 and so did he. Then we changed to left lane and he went past us zooming at around 150-160 we slowed down, but he didnt. Some 5-10 minutes after we saw him standing on left side with a traffic police which stopped him for overspeeding!! I was laughing very hard at that moment.!.
Indeed a laughable incident. But the fact is that we have now good open roads (express highways) in most of the places, but there are speed limit imposed by the authorities. In Kerala it is 80kmpph and if you go over this speed the camera will catch you and you will get a ticket. When seeing such open and wide roads we are inclined to push the pedal a little bit, but then will be getting caught by traffic police. [confused]

Top Bottom