"White Whale" Comes Home: Tata Manza Quadrajet Ownership Report

Thread Starter #1
1. Background Story: I just turned 18 and learnt driving from my Father (yeah cause i had tooo much interest in cars) and felt that i had no need to go to a driving school. Got my DL and started taking out the humble Alto for highway/college runs. Now since it had aged and run well (2,00,000 kilometers in 7 years with just front axle replaced and regular servicing done!!!!) It had to be changed. Moreover, our family of 6 couldn't travel together even while we 6 had to travel together for only once or twice in a month. So come 1 December, 2018 we posted our car on OLX. Hundreds on messages and calls we got. Nearly 50 people came to check the car (most of them were time-passers!). One fine Sunday morning and i got a call from a serious buyer who said he's coming with money to buy the car. He came checked the car, didn't even moved it. He just started the engine and put all gears to check them.
He was surprised to find a Alto which had run 2,00,000 kilometers in this condition. So he finalised the deal and off went our Alto. It was emotional cause it never ever broke down anywhere and went to almost full India with us.
Now as we sold our Alto, we only had 1 bike left for daily commute which was used by my Father and i had to rely on autos and cabs. Due to some reasons we only looked at used car market.
Our humble Alto:
IMG_20180102_112145085 copy.jpg

IMG_20180102_112205790 copy.jpg

2.Options considered:

A. Tata Safari
Many people have dream cars such as Buggati or Lamborghini's, but my dream car was always the Safari Dicor.
Positives:
1.Big, Hulky beast which whenever comes in RVM of any small car, the car gives side.
2.S-P-A-C-E this beast screams space whenever you enter it.
3.Torque'y diesel engine.
4.Many features such as heated side view mirror, defogger, power windows
Negatives:
1.Usual Tata ASS
2.Maintenence

B.Tata Manza
My Dad's office's colleague had a Manza and i also sat in it many times. This was also one of my favourites.
Positives:
1.Space, rear seat could accomodate 3 adults with some space left for a small child.
2.An overall nice package with many features.
3.Poor resale. This was actuallly nice thing for me as i was getting Manza's for just mere 1.4-1.7 lakhs
Negatives:
1.Rattles here and there.
2.Famous Tata ASS.

Well, no other options were considered and due to many FNG's scaring me by saying that Safari has too much maintenace costs, we finalised on a Pre-Owned 2010 Tata Manza Quadrajet Aura (ABS) model with 75k on Odo.
3.Buying Experience:
While browsing OLX, found a nice looking Manza 2010. Next day went with my Father to check out the Manza. he had all service records. We thoroughly checked the car from outside and it was spic and span. Then we asked for keys and my Father started the car and it came to it's glory.
Finalised the deal in Rs._______ . Well i would not disguise the price and would like you all guys to guess it.
Next day we went to owner's house and again checked the car and it was as same as before!! [roll]
Gave him money took the keys, did the paperwork and we were ready to take her home!!
When we started the car the fuel gauge showed that the tank was full, which wasn't when we checked the car previous day. Asked the owner and found it was a gift for us!!!

4.Ownership Experience:
Positives

• Extremely silent engine and even when revved the engine note sweet but not loud like a free flow exhaust!!
  • Wind noise is damped very well even at speeds of about 100-120
  • Seating position is very comfortable and one does not get tired after long journeys
  • Interior space & Quality
  • Feeling of premium interiors
  • Default speakers are more than sufficient and has a good bass. No need for an upgrade.
  • Nice pep in engine even on highway runs!

Negatives
  • Ride is bumpy at high speeds when there are undulations in the road.
  • Auto lock is not present above 20 kmph. Need to manually lock the car every time.
  • No Dead pedal.
Well my Father had taken the car for some work and would return in 2-3 days so more pics at that time. Please sorry i only have 1 pic with me now!![frustration][frustration]
IMG_20181208_200152892-compressed.jpg

This was my first review and i tried to keep it as much comprehensive as i could. Please point my mistakes so i can be better at writing. :)

How was the 'upgrade' from Alto??

1.More road respect (you know road bully done with alto's and nano's or 800's
2.Not a highway champion but a nice ride to be in on highway journeys. Easy cruisability even at speeds of 120-130kmph
3.Revv-happy engine (of-course India's national 1.3 Mjd under the hood)
4.S-P-A-C-E

Hope you guys loved the review.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
The Manza looks very nice, even after 8 years of running. Not clear, but seems the back tyres are worn out or filled with mud?

From a cute car (Alto 800) to a long sedan - a good jump.

Congratulations and hope to see more pictures of you car soon[clap]

Thread Starter #4
The car met with it's first accident after 5 days of me getting it.
A crazy biker was coming at a speed of about 50-60 kmph (that's too much on bike).
there was a tractor in front which i decided to overtake, just when i was about to overtake, i saw in RVM that he was coming at fast speed and would not be able to stop!!!
after 1 second we (me, my parents and my sister hear a L-O-U-D thud) and everyone was like O_O. After hitting my car, he decided to run in opposite direction and i just stopped my car and put handbrakes,
Got out from the car and told someone to stop that biker which he did.I reached to him and told him to drive slow and he just started shouting at me. I was just about to lose my temper when my Father came and took me back.
MORAL: If someone hits your car/bike, dont wait just snatch his keys and give him a punch or two so as to tell him a lesson!!

bhvm

Honoured Member
1. Congrats on the car! Manza is very underrated and often misunderstood car. Very comfortable & smooth when used properly.

2. I guess the price was around 1.5 lac give or take. Tatas have very poor resale which makes them extreme value for money.

3. Cruising near 100 is the forte of these Long, full size sedans. Enjoy it bro!

4. Damn that biker! Such idiots are really the bane of Indian roads. Did you catch him?
How much was the damage and did you get it repaired?

5. Are those chrome alloys? Actually they aren't looking well with the entire theme. They would've looked smashing on black car, but not on white one. I guess some matte Black paint will look awesome!

Thread Starter #6
1. Thanks for the compliments buddy!!. It is indeed very comfy car once you sit inside.
2. Yeahooo!! you guessed it right it was 1.4 lac
3. Yeah buddy, this one is capable of even cruising at 130-150 kph, it just needs a nice driver behind the wheel.[evil][evil]
4. Yes, i caught him as a person after watching me chasing him on foot stopped his bike, i snatched the keys and then scolded him, he was a 19-20 years old boy. He started arguing with me. Just when i was about to give him couple of punches, my Dad called me back. regarding damage, many paint scuffs were caused but the bumper shape was intact (manza has a strong rear bumper!!!) didnt thought of getting it repaired till now.
5.Yeah, they are chrome alloys, the previous owner had them fitted on Manza. I am also thinking of painting the alloys matt black and the brake calipers red or would trade these alloys for some other black alloys having some other design.

Manza was one nice car from Tata.
The Prefix Indigo spoiled it. Just the Name Manza would have made justice to the car with repect to sales. (Vista and Grande had the same fate with the prefix names Indica and Sumo).

Enjoy the Ride and comfort of this little Mansion on Wheels.

Wish you ride many more miles in the quadrajet.

Thread Starter #9
Very nice review bro...... Even after selling our indica we too looking for pre owned manza but we are not able to find good one so we bought the new tata tiago
Thanks @Jaskaran A for the compliments, your Tiago is also a nice little pocket rocket.
Manza was one nice car from Tata.
The Prefix Indigo spoiled it. Just the Name Manza would have made justice to the car with repect to sales. (Vista and Grande had the same fate with the prefix names Indica and Sumo).

Enjoy the Ride and comfort of this little Mansion on Wheels.

Wish you ride many more miles in the quadrajet.
Yes bro, i hate the Indigo prefix so much that i have removed the indigo badge from the rear and have only kept Tata and manza!!!
Wish you same from me as well.

I know how our blood gushes when , someone hurts our rides and a least one can do is apologise if the mistake is theirs.
If one runs away , obviously , chase him down, make the point clear (Make sure , the locality is not an issue, as in coastal area or rural areas, people form gang , and most time the victim is ourselves)

Never physically hurt .Law shouldn't be taken into hands

Your review will definitely help those looking to buy a pre-owned Manza. Thumbs up for that. I remember reading this, when Manza was introduced --- "Manza'x rear seat-back incline angle is more than that of a Benz". Enjoy a swell car.

I came pretty close to buying a Petrol Manza at one time. Don't remember why I didn't. Its Diesel variant is nice to drive in City save for the size.

These accidents do happen but, keep your cool.

Another advice - limit your top speed to 130-140 kph.

Thread Starter #12
I know how our blood gushes when , someone hurts our rides and a least one can do is apologise if the mistake is theirs.
If one runs away , obviously , chase him down, make the point clear (Make sure , the locality is not an issue, as in coastal area or rural areas, people form gang , and most time the victim is ourselves)

Never physically hurt .Law shouldn't be taken into hands
[cheers]Yes Sir you are right, i was too much boiled at that time, but now i think what if he had 10-15 friends and i was just with my family. Thanks for the advice Sir.
Next time, i would not do anything like this Sir.

Your review will definitely help those looking to buy a pre-owned Manza. Thumbs up for that. I remember reading this, when Manza was introduced --- "Manza'x rear seat-back incline angle is more than that of a Benz". Enjoy a swell car.

I came pretty close to buying a Petrol Manza at one time. Don't remember why I didn't. Its Diesel variant is nice to drive in City save for the size.

These accidents do happen but, keep your cool.

Another advice - limit your top speed to 130-140 kph.
Thanks for the positive comments Sir. It's good that you didn't bought a Petrol Manza, it gives just 10-11 kmpl[frustration]. The diesel one has 1.3 Mjd [evil]and diesel one gave me 21.50 on a tank to tank done by me.
Yes Sir, but on open roads (expressways or 4 laned highways) i cant control but to stand on the accelerator!!! :)

Thread Starter #13
Hello guys, i have one question, the car is due for it's service at 80,000 kilometers. The odo is currently at approx. 77000 kilometers.
Should i got for normal engine oil or synthetic one??
Apart from long(er) life of synthetic engine oil, is there any other benefit of it??

Was the car running in Mineral oil or synthetic oil ?
If it had been running in Mineral oil , I advice you to do a engine oil flush and then change to synthetic oil.

Synthetic oil contains less crude elements in oil , thereby reducing wear and tear on engine parts .

Though for new engines(Not in your case , i mean the ones which is in run in period) , it is better to fill with mineral oil for first 1000km , as it takes some time for synthetic oil to lubricate and tune to new engine , while with mineral oil its comparitively less.

And , Engine flushing , ensure that it is done correctly (In ASS, mostly they bill you engine flushing , but won't do the job).
I think the engine oil rating for Fiat sourced diesels is 5W-30 (Do check it , am not sure)

Thread Starter #15
Was the car running in Mineral oil or synthetic oil ?
If it had been running in Mineral oil , I advice you to do a engine oil flush and then change to synthetic oil.

Synthetic oil contains less crude elements in oil , thereby reducing wear and tear on engine parts .

Though for new engines(Not in your case , i mean the ones which is in run in period) , it is better to fill with mineral oil for first 1000km , as it takes some time for synthetic oil to lubricate and tune to new engine , while with mineral oil its comparitively less.

And , Engine flushing , ensure that it is done correctly (In ASS, mostly they bill you engine flushing , but won't do the job).
I think the engine oil rating for Fiat sourced diesels is 5W-30 (Do check it , am not sure)
Thanks for the 200 kmph reply Sir.
I forgot to tell that the car has done 75k kilometers with mineral oil. After it completes 80k kilometers, i would then do engine oil flush and change to synthetic oil Sir.
Thanks for the Advice Sir.

Top Bottom