Which Wi-Fi router?

Thread Starter #1
Guys, I am a noob into all this.

I have an Airtel Broadband connection at my place with an unlimited plan. I am using a Beetel 220BX1 modem supplied by Airtel.

Now i want a wi-fi connection at my place. Here are a few queries-

1) If i buy a Wi-Fi router, can i connect both my desktop as well as my phone/laptop through it? I mean, would i need to use my present wired modem after that?

Also, I would like to use both if possible. I would like to use the wired modem for my PC & use the wi-fi router only for my Laptop or Phone, so that when i am not using my phone or laptop, i can simply switch off the wi-fi router & use the wired modem for my PC. I feel that would be safer. Chances of anyone misusing my wi-fi would be lower. Is this possible- using both the modem for PC & router for laptop?

2) Which router is good for my airtel connection? airtel does not supply routers now. I enquired at some shops nearby & I was showed Buffallo (with some extra 'security' feature & a 'security' light) for Rs. 1800 & D-Link router for Rs. 1700. which one is good?

3) what are the safety issues with Wi-Fi? How can i protect my connection from misuse?

4) By chance if anyone knows, I have a SE Xperia X10 phone running on Android. I need to access my mails & facebook updates on phone. I hope thats possible through Wi-Fi as i dont wish to use GPRS for that, its too expensive!

Thanks.

first of all, the good brands available for routers are belkin, D-link and netgear.
out of these i would suggest you to pick up a netgear router which is the better one of the lot.
1) with a wi-fi router, you can have upto 4 wired connections through LAN cables along with your lapto/phone using the wi-fi.

2)go for netgear

3)you can secure your wi-fi network with a password. your service provider will be able to help you out on this matter.

4)yes. it is possible to access your mails and FB updates on your phone using wi-fi.

I also don know much about Wi-Fi routers but will tell what i have seen in my friend's house.

1. Yes you can connect your mobile , desktop and laptop together all at once too. I have seen Wi-Fi routers are not much faster like broadband connections , so if you download things a lot then you can have your broadband connection too.

2. Sorry bro no idea!

3. Like my junior said you can protect it with a password. One has to enter the password to use your Wi-Fi services. So don worry nobody will misuse it.

4.Yes you can do that easily bro , no issues. Its fast too!

Hi raj:
You can use a router to connect PC through Ethernet cable and Wifi by laptops.
First you have to confirm with Airtel that they allow multiple system to allow access through single connection.
As earlier with You-Telecom, they had assigned a MAC address which allows only one system to be able to connect to the internet.

So 1st confirm this and then go for a purchase.
Your 1st point depends on this criteria

As i am with BSNL, i can customise settings myself.
For my purpose the ip address for settings is 192.168.1.1

2.AT&T and D-link are known for reliability.

3. If you assign a unique password, no problem with Wifi.
You need to set WPA-password.
or 128 bit password with alphabets and nos togrther.
WPA- Password(only nos) is easy to remember.

If you hide the access point in Wifi, you can only access it as only you know the user name.
Then you need to remember the device name exactly.
All others who search for wifi cannot access as the Access point is hidden.

4. Yeah you can use it no problem.

Make sure the 1st point i have mentioned is the key to all these.

You can use a router to connect PC through Ethernet cable and Wifi by laptops.
First you have to confirm with Airtel that they allow multiple system to allow access through single connection.
As earlier with You-Telecom, they had assigned a MAC address which allows only one system to be able to connect to the internet.
in bng, airtel allows multiple systems to access a single connection. not sure about bhayyaland.

No ideas about the modem and other stuff .

My knowledge , Yes a password can be set and be protected . Un authorized cant use the connection.
You can use the laptop or cellphone or both at a time.
more number of user lesser will become the speed.

Raj why dont you ask your airtel service provider to provide you or upgrade your modem with wireless modem, which when i got my connection of Airtel made sure that i get their wireless modem, else you can opt for LINKSYS, or BELKIN either of these, as both of these have the best range as well as quality.

Guys, I am a noob into all this.

I have an Airtel Broadband connection at my place with an unlimited plan. I am using a Beetel 220BX1 modem supplied by Airtel.

Now i want a wi-fi connection at my place. Here are a few queries-

1) If i buy a Wi-Fi router, can i connect both my desktop as well as my phone/laptop through it? I mean, would i need to use my present wired modem after that?

Also, I would like to use both if possible. I would like to use the wired modem for my PC & use the wi-fi router only for my Laptop or Phone, so that when i am not using my phone or laptop, i can simply switch off the wi-fi router & use the wired modem for my PC. I feel that would be safer. Chances of anyone misusing my wi-fi would be lower. Is this possible- using both the modem for PC & router for laptop?

2) Which router is good for my airtel connection? airtel does not supply routers now. I enquired at some shops nearby & I was showed Buffallo (with some extra 'security' feature & a 'security' light) for Rs. 1800 & D-Link router for Rs. 1700. which one is good?

3) what are the safety issues with Wi-Fi? How can i protect my connection from misuse?

4) By chance if anyone knows, I have a SE Xperia X10 phone running on Android. I need to access my mails & facebook updates on phone. I hope thats possible through Wi-Fi as i dont wish to use GPRS for that, its too expensive!

Thanks.
1. yes . don't worry about security all wifi comes with very good security . you can even make your wifi to connect only to device you have listed so even if other person know your password . he can't use wifi as you have not listed it in list only listed device can add him .
simple way is that use password .

2go ahead any wifi you like . you won't face any problem with it . i have asus wifi which work perfectly .
But before buying please see that you want wifi for speed or coverage area as some are good in speed and some are in coverage area . Also do remember your user ID and password as it will be needed in new device to connect with airtel .

3 . as i told you in first point .

4 . yup you can do it all the time . i do with my x6 same way .

i hope it will help you .

@raj, if you take mtnl broadband. you wont have to worry about anything, (lke security) their people will do all installation work themselves.

Thread Starter #10
Sorry , I forgot to update guys. I bought a Netgear router which has a manual WiFi on/off switch, the way i wanted. I am happy with its performance till now.

Folks,

I have a Reliance Netconnect USB Broadband. I want to know which WiFi routers can connect their USB modem successfully.

Reliance World and their customer service do not recommend any router [confused]

I believe Tata Photon+ can be connected to some routers. I could not find any router in eZone, Reliance Digital, Croma and many electronic stores that can take Reliance [frustration]

Suggestions please...

Hi sudarshan, you are totally confused.
A USB net connection can be used for a single system/PC.
What you are speaking is about the Wifi Hub dongle, which Docomo / MTS are providing even Photon plus too is providing too.
What you need to do is to connect the Wifi dongle to a USB port and use it as a router.

A dedicated router needs a PPPOE(point-point over ethernet) connection with DSL(Digital Subscriber Loop) line i.e the phone line.
From the router a PC can be connected only through LAN cable or RJ-45 cable.
And if its a ADSL 2+ router then you can configure Wifi settings.

Any more clarifications?

I have MTNL connection connected to D-Link ADSL2+ Modem hooked on to Linksys WRT54G2 (wireless). I have overwritten original Linksys (CISCO) firmware with open source DD-WRT firmware to get more from router.

I have MTNL connection connected to D-Link ADSL2+ Modem hooked on to Linksys WRT54G2 (wireless). I have overwritten original Linksys (CISCO) firmware with open source DD-WRT firmware to get more from router.

1. yes . don't worry about security all wifi comes with very good security . you can even make your wifi to connect only to device you have listed so even if other person know your password . he can't use wifi as you have not listed it in list only listed device can add him .
simple way is that use password .
Not exactly. I know few of softwares which can break over Wi-Fi security in couple of seconds and you won't even know you are been hacked. I would like to suggest few of settings,
0. Change default passwords
1. Password should be absurd and should me mix of Small and Caps alphabets along with numerals and special characters. (More the better. makes Brute-force attack more difficult) , if possible keep a habit of changing it randomly
2. Turn Off WEP encryption and select WPA2, not even WPA. If your router supports multiple encryption then use it along with WPA2
3. Put MAC filter in place
4. Restrict number of connections in DNS server
5. If possible hide the SSID of the router
6. If your router supports transmission range then get that adjusted
7. Change default transmission channel
8. Revisit Firewall settings in your router

Top Bottom