Which Tyres For Zen LX?

Which tyre for my Zen

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi mahantesh,
I own a Zen LX and I would not recommend 155/65-13.Its gonna make the steering heavy and I have seen it fouling with the body.Why are you trying to change the wheel size?
Regards,
Aneesh.

Hi All,

This is my first post and need some suggestions in fixing my Zen 2003 Lx.

1. It has the stock rims 12" with JK tyres. - How about upgrading them to 155/65-13? Bridgestone tyres and need suggestion for alloys/R13 rims of Esteem. It doesn't have a power steering will this change cause any adverse effect being wider than stock?

2. Front right headlight, Indicator, Bumper & and right fender is damaged. Which will be the best workshop in Bangalore East for this job?

Thanks in Advance.
Mahantesh
If you are going for 13" rims, do a test fit of the wheel and tires.You need to turn the front steering lock to lock and in the rear you will have to check the wheel arches when the car is fully loaded.

You might have to get coil spring spacers in the rear.

@ Jarpickle - my 98 zen has stock 145/70/R13. Why did Maruti drop to 12" tyres? Wouldn't this lower the ground clearance below the existing 165?
@ Ss80- any issues with these tyres, scraping the insides, flinging more mud on the body? Price?

I have driven this car may be for about 70kms max in total, this is what I feel about these tyres
- Increased Road Noise
- Unsettle ride quality on local roads, on tarmac its 10times better
- Excellent grip (0 compromise)
- Pebbles get stuck in the threads
- Only on one side (left side) the inner wheel arch gets touched by the tyre
- Power steering like feel despite being manual
- These Yokohomas are tough so they make a lot of noise when you ride over potholes etc (Opposite of Michelin)
- Car looks much better
- Mud splashing on fender and front doors

155 is good enough.

ZenandEnfield:Maruti started using 12" in the zen because the 13" rims provided in the zen were getting bent and there were scraping issues.I think this is why most Zen's use to have balloon tires and were fitted with spacers.

A lot of owners would upsize to the 13" from the Esteem.This is possible because the Zen uses the same front suspension from the SS80 and its much more sturdier than the front suspension used MB308(Indian 800)

SS80:The road noise maybe due to the tire compound not the tire size.Yokohama A539's are like that.

Hi mahantesh,
I own a Zen LX and I would not recommend 155/65-13.Its gonna make the steering heavy and I have seen it fouling with the body.Why are you trying to change the wheel size?
Regards,
Aneesh.
Hi draneeshpm,

Basically planning to up-size the rim and reduce the tyre wall for better handling.

Thanks gentlemen for your valuable responses, definitely I would consider these points while getting the wheels fixed.

@ss80: I must say that's an really detailed post with great patience. I didnot get the rationale behind "wide tyres actually make it easier to drive"? Mine in Lx no PS :(.

@jarpickle: thanks for the info, will consider the spacers?

Any suggestion on decent body shop in Bangalore(East)?

Hi mahantesh,
I don't know at what kind of speeds you drive,but the stock tyres are game for any speed up to 120.But where in India is one safe at that speeds?I have driven the Zen for 106000 kms with 12 inch tyres,running on my 4th set.I have lived for few months in Bangalore,and its only during late nights that I could drive above 80!
Regards,
Aneesh.

Top Bottom