Which SUV To Buy - Safari or Scorpio?

Thread Starter #1
hey friends i am loking to buy an suv and got messed up between safari and scorpio both are proven products.
i want a spacious SUV with low maintenance cost
i had test driven both the suv i felt camped in Scorpio with no proper space in 2 row but its low on maintaice cost and gud to drive in city with less turning radius..
where as safari offers you great space and looks but lacks in aftersale and maintaince cost is high
but my heart goes with safri on the same time dont want to take any rash decision..
my avg running per month will be not more then 600 km as i will be using my hatchback to commute to work

i blocked innova & xylo bec its look like a taxi and my family doesn't like it
i am geeting gud discounts for safari dealer offered me 10.65 on road delhi for ex variant [roll]

i request all Scorpio and safari owners to share their ownership experience

thanks

Thread Starter #3
thanks akash

akash the thread doesn't covered my are on concern do you own either of two suv

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashvinder
The new safari is about to launch which is far better car then the current one .
Again you need to write in details your priorities will it be driven mostly in cities or highways ? Will you be driving it or you will have a driver ? How many people will be mostly be siting i nthe car ?
My vote goes for Scorpio compared to the current safari . But if you can wait for somedays my vote tilts towards the new safari strome.

akash the thread doesn't covered my are on concern do you own either of two suv
Btw do you like the ecosport and duster ? If yes they will be comparatively more reliable then both Scorpio and safari .
Still my suggestion wait for the new safari drive it you if you like it just buy it . It will be much much much better In all aspects then the current safari and Scorpio .

Re: Which SUV to buy- Safari or Scorpio?

If Safari is in your heart then I would suggest you to wait for the launch of new Safari-Storme.
It is far better that the current Safari in most of the aspects.
Here are some pictures of Safari Storme.

i bet you can pres the tata dealer to extract more discount for the current safari.

you can tell him that the current model of safari is going to be EOL (end of life).

regarding maintenance safari it is concerned mainly with the after sales.

do check upon their quality (after sales) offered by tata in your area before you invest close to 10 lacs in a depreciating item.

safari offers you roomy interiors , scorpio offers rather enjoyable drive.

so if the owner is the driver i would suggest a scorpio , else safari for the chauffeur driven.

with m&m , i guess the dealers dont budge for any discounts. personal experience [sleep]

Currently in Mumbai dealers are offering for Scorpio 25,000 discount if you haggle more they can come down a bit and whichever car you buy take the insurance from outside will save couple of more thousands for you .

Your requirements are contradictory as far as these two SUVs are concerned. Safari is big on space but high on maintenance while Scorpio is relatively lower on maintenance but cramped inside. As other members have said, the Safari Storme is on its way. A test drive report could be found here:

10.65 lakhs OTR Delhi for Safari EX doesnt seem like a very good bargain. Haggle hard.

Also consider waiting for the Renault Duster. Word has it that it will be launched in August.

I own a Scorpio and being 6 feet tall, I don't find it to be low on in cabin space. Second row looks very much spacious to me. Coming on to Safari, wait for the Storme. Its got a reduced turning radius similar to the Scorpio and interiors have been changed too and so has been the chassis. Safari, inspite suspended on leaf springs is far more comfortable and less bouncy than my Scorpio. But then it comes to driving pleasure, Scorpio beats it, just love that mHawk motor. Raj and Mukesh could add further.

Also, a Scorpio is cheaper to Maintain than a Safari.

If you have your eyes set on Safari, go for the Storme and prior to that look for a reliable and trustworthy Tata Motors workshop. But do wait for the Duster to be launched, it very much looks like a full size SUV with a reliable motor under the hood and a price tag that should lure a many.

P.S. Just have a feeling from your post that this SUV you want to buy would end up being a second fiddle, merely a weekend and night vehicle for pleasure. Happy shopping though.

@Ashvinder:
Right now I don't own any of them,but owned both of them once..
Since your heart says Safari and mind says Scorpy so the decision it totally yours.It depends on whom you give higher priority heart or mind.

Safari has better comfort,ride and handling(high speeds) and definitely feels better built.
Scorpio is slightly cheaper to buy,has the safety of ABS[clap] throughout the range(leave the crappy EX),is more responsive and hence feels more lively in city.

Rest Safari for me any day and if you can wait for a month or two then Storme is the car to go for.Its a huge leap forward than the current Safari and as per initial impressions is a far far better vehicle than the Scorpy.

Before 8 months I was also in same situation, Shall I go for Scorpio or Safari. I am really thankful to all TAI members who helped me to take my final decision and I bought

“Torque Tank” Scorpio VLX 4WD.

I can say it’s awesome. Done 9000KMS in 7 months without any issues or niggle .

Ride is so smooth and peppy whether it is city or highway.[drive]

My choice would be Scorpio VLX in comparison with safari.

Have a look of my Torque Tank

Here http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...420-mahindra-scorpio-vlx-4wd-torque-tank.html

I am 6.2 and i Find the scorpio comfy both at the front driving and sitting in the middle row.
Cannot comment on the ride quality in the middle row since only i have driven the scorpio all the times. [evil]

there have been atleast three revisions in the scorpio engine wise and similar or more to finetune other issues so take a call on the scorpio with the refresh models.
Check out with your friends who own a refresh model etc.

If your heart says safari then wait for the storme .

Since the SUV is not your primary vehicle i suggest you can check it out with all dealers and if they offer huge discounts then buy one now else wait for the storme or the duster to launch.

That new Safari is UGLIEST CAR I've ever seen in my life. Oldschol safari was way better

That new Safari is UGLIEST CAR I've ever seen in my life. Oldschol safari was way better
you are not alone.almost half of europe thinks so.
Also the storme seems to have an identity crisis of sorts. It wants to look understated as well as butch. In the end it fails at both.

I would go for the Safari anyday. And since the new safari Strome is coming you can wait for month or so, if you don't need the car immediately. And if you can't then try getting some discount from the dealer on the current Safari.

I would go for the Safari because it is really comfortable and the handling is good as well.

Top Bottom