Which Sedan to Buy???

Hey Anmol why do you want a Petrol firstly?? Modern diesel engines are very refined and durable too! If you put up the calculations for your running you would end up saving a lot of money if you go for a diesel. Maintenance cost for diesel is high but the running cost of petrol is high and for your running , your running cost will easily outweigh your maintenance cost. So going in for a diesel makes sense!

As your usage is limited to mostly office commuting as Raj mentioned it is sensible going for Hatches as boot space is not much necessary and FE will also be better! I suggest going in for i20 be it petrol or diesel or maybe you can consider even the top-end model of Punto!

Anmol if your avg commuting is more than 10,000kms per year diesel vehicle suits you the best.
I would suggest you either Linea or Verna.
And don't ignore boot space it's really useful.

Oh My Bad, what a big typo[frustration]

sorry for this, it is 10,000km per year, means arnd 1000 km per month.
1k per month. Then you may go a petrol. I have already given you my suggestions for the same. Just stay away from Accent and Fiesta

as they have already started looking dated.

Thread Starter #21
hyundai verna and linea are cheaper than honda city and are much compact also........than sx4. i think linea is a good buy, but i doubt fiat positio in india, im afraid that they will not close their association with tata in india.

tata service quality feedback is also know to be poor.

how about chevy aveo it is also cheaper arnd 6.5 lac.

Chevy Aveo is a nice car but short of looks which are existing in todays sedans. I dont know about the safety features offered with it. I will recommend you to take safety features into consideration while you take a decision on your purchase. So a big no for aveo.

Oh so now going in for petrol makes sense! Right now why you are so keen on having it for 10 years?? Are you sure you will have it that long??

If yes then ignore TATA and Ford because TATA are not very reliable over long periods of time and Ford maintenance is not cheap in the long run.

maruti sx4 - I recommend this as it is a Maruti but on the flip side this car has really low FE when compared to others in this segment.

hyundai accent- Rule this out as its already dated!

hyundai verna - I don recommend Petrol Verna , Diesel Verna is better!

hyundai i20- A good choice if you don want boot space at all!

chevy aveo- Already looking dated!

honda city - A great car , i recommend this also but comes at a premium!

swift dzire - Again a good choice as its a Maruti and servicing in the long run will be cheap and wont be a hassle!

fiat linea - A good choice , i recommend this also. Don worry about Fiat's A.S.S as we have been hearing good comments from our members who own Fiat vehicles here!

ford fiesta - A great driver's car but maintenance is on the high side on the long run and also its looking dated already!

So finally i suggest SX4 , City , Linea and Swift Dzire! TD all these cars and go for the one which you like the most! Add i20 also to the list if you really don need the boot space!

Anmol, are you sure it is 10,000 Kms PER MONTH? or was it supposed to be PER YEAR?

Hyndai Verna is an excellent car and from my previous experience, Hyundai's A.S.S is also good with reasonable spare costs.

Fiat Linea is also another good car. Honda City is unquestionably good but its looks are already dated. Also Honda cars usually cost more than their competition.

SX4 looks great but its FE is so bad that it overshadows the looks.

I am sorry but your post subject says which sedan and you have listed i20 in your list, how come?

@Cooldhaya - I think it is a misconception that Ford car spares are costly. There are particular spares that are costly in case of Ford and there are others that are much cheaper than others. If you step into any Ford showroom, they might have displayed a matrix of comparison of spares. You will get a good idea from that.

Last edited:
JammyD he has said in previous posts that its only 10k kms per year , A typo!

Yeah JammyD i agree Ford has reduced the prices of spares lately and also has opened up lots of service stations now but Fiesta's maintenance has always been costly. My friend who owned one sold it after he got fed up his car. His car was only 2 years old but he started facing many issues. And Anmol stated that he wants to keep it for 10 years , so asked him to stay away from Fiesta because of this and also note that i have mentioned its already looking dated with no major facelift on the cards!

Maybe Ford has got everything right from Figo , lets hope for the best!

And i20 he has kept as his last choice if he does not like any of the above mentioned sedans!

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Even the running of thousand kilometers per month is no less, so diesel would still be a better option but if he wants to avoid it, then petrol could be considered as well. My final suggestion would be to go for the Maruti SX4 ZXi taking into consideration long term use till year 2020! The mileage which SX4 offers is around somewhere 10 – 15 Kpl.

JammyD said:
Honda City is unquestionably good but its looks are already dated. Also Honda cars usually cost more than their competition.
Looks of ANHC are dated? :eek:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hyndai Verna is an excellent car and from my previous experience, Hyundai's A.S.S is also good with reasonable spare costs.
I always hear from my friends, who own i10 as well as Accent, that the servicing is much costlies in Hyundai compared to Maruti & Tata.

@Cooldhaya - I think it is a misconception that Ford car spares are costly. There are particular spares that are costly in case of Ford and there are others that are much cheaper than others. If you step into any Ford showroom, they might have displayed a matrix of comparison of spares. You will get a good idea from that.
I think before Figo launched, the spares were costly. But now they are making it competitive.

tata service quality feedback is also know to be poor.
You will get comparable service on FIAT vehicles at Tata service center. Just be aware which is better dealer/A.S.S in your city.

If you want reliability and not so heavy maintenance, then SX4 is the car for you. Honda City is certainly great but overshoots your budget slightly and will be heavier on pocket when compared to SX4. Also it comes short of some features which most sedans have eg climate control ac. So SX4 is the best bet. Also consider Linea since it too is a great car and its A.S.S. is far better than tata so service should not be an issue to cutoff linea from the list.

Thread Starter #29
maruti sx4 - 685000 lac - 740000 lac 105bhp

hyundai i20 450000 lac - 494000 lac 80bhp

chevy aveo 610000 lac - 662773lac 95bhp

honda city 813000 lac - 877000 lac 118 bhp

swift dzire 482000 lac - 523000 lac 85bhp

fiat linea 634000 lac - 692000 lac 90bhp

from your valuable suggestions, i have ruled out accent and fiesta.

about the linea i think it is expensive then aveo and underpowered(so will rule out one car from this bracket also after some more analysis)

not liking the looks of swift dzire, i would prefer to buy a swift hatch instead of it so ruling out this also.

now my list lines up as - SX4,city, linea, aveo and i20(last option)

the point which im considering with city and sx4 is that both cars are arnd 2& 3 year old.

aveo is the cheaper then rest three.

hmmm...tough task[frustration]

looking for more valuable suggestions.

So putting aside i20 which is your last option, you have SX4 and City on your list. My suggestion is td both the cars and decide for yourself, which one excites you the most. Both cars dont have any issues of fe, aftersales or reliability.

Top Bottom