Which Horn To Go For?

Yesterday i got Bosch ones fitted.
Looks similar to the ec9 one as shown in the above image.
Mr.sethu this sounds like phaaaaaaa.
Costed 650 rs.
Lets see how long it lasts.
Tried it in a crowded place and it scatterd people away [lol]

Boss. Am looking for similar ones. My son wanted to have both with switch so that we can switch between horns when we get bored with one.
@sethu,

Even in my safari I use this skoda type of horn.its generally called as trumpet type horns.
Brand am using: Minda
Cost : 600 (including labour).

I got quotes for Rs.850 for "Roots Wintone" (Minda and Bosch for Rs. 750) with installation free, with out any relay or other fittings (no wire cutting ) bypassing the stock horn.

Is this worth?

Can anyone elaborate the need of a relay? is it really needed?

I am going to upgrade my horns in my Honda Amaze, I have extended warranty too..

i am using Bosch and am satisfied with the sound quality. The stock one in my Brio was more like a bhompu and it was the 1st thing which i changed within a week of buying the car.

One horn went dead after a while but since i had kept the warranty card intact, i was given new replacement by Bosch under warranty.

Guys tell what is the horn fixed in cars like WV, Skoda which sounds like "phaa".
Not sure about what make does Skoda use
I am too contemplating a trumpet style horn for my "coming soon" skoda rapid. I learnt from my skoda dealer's electrical technician that Skoda's archetypal OEM horns are Roots and Iam getting the same installed for my ride. But they also stock some European branded ones (OEM for Skoda Europe), which comes with Superb according to him and it costs a whooping 3800 bucks. [:D]

Last edited:
First Welcome to TAI [clap]

I suggest you to go for Roots or Hella, don't go for Bosch. I've changed more than three to four sets of Bosch horns. Maximum life time for Bosch is just 6months [frustration].

BTW, I'm using Roots Wind tone for past 11months & it is working perfectly from the day 1.
Mr.Appu
I think bosch in otherway.I am using Bosch for past 12 years in my wagon r,i got trouble only once because of water entry,then too i replaced with bosch and it is working fine.[:)]

I think bosch in otherway.I am using Bosch for past 12 years in my wagon r,i got trouble only once because of water entry,then too i replaced with bosch and it is working fine.[:)]
Horns are sensitive parts and couldn't justify the life of any specific brand.
- Mico horns works like charm in my friend's bike for more than a decade where as similar one gave up within a couple of months in his car
- I got fed up with roots horn (in my Honda City)
- I'm using Hella and extremely happy with it for more than 3 years

Mounting location also decided the life of them. But again the water splash at same location can't be same every time.

I am also looking for a new horn for my Honda Brio. I don't want to do wiring change , adding a relay etc, but just remove the stock one and hook up the new horn with similar specs. Also I don't want fancy tones etc, just a gentle sound will be good enough. Is it possible? Can someone suggest some models preferably in Hella (OE Horns of any other cars will also be fine for me). Reason for changing is my stock horn conks if I hold on for few seconds and it starts to sound like a goat's bleat![lol]

Can anyone elaborate the need of a relay? is it really needed? I am going to upgrade my horns in my Honda Amaze, I have extended warranty too..
If you install the new horn with a higher current draw to the stock wiring you will not get it as loud as it should be, or it will frequently blow fuses/ damage the existing wiring due to the high power consumption. The relay will be wired directly from battery* through a higher rated fuse, and connected to the horn. The input from the horn switch in the steering will actuate the low power rated electromagnetic switch (i.e relay itself) inside the relay unit and will pass through the above mentioned* higher current required for the new horn. In short it will protect the wiring and the new horn.

Last edited:
Horns are sensitive parts and couldn't justify the life of any specific brand.
- Mico horns works like charm in my friend's bike for more than a decade where as similar one gave up within a couple of months in his car
- I got fed up with roots horn (in my Honda City)
- I'm using Hella and extremely happy with it for more than 3 years

Mounting location also decided the life of them. But again the water splash at same location can't be same every time.
Mr Boss
Any problems with roots?
I am planning to upgrade my horn in my new ride,Swift.

i am using Bosch and am satisfied with the sound quality. The stock one in my Brio was more like a bhompu and it was the 1st thing which i changed within a week of buying the car. One horn went dead after a while but since i had kept the warranty card intact, i was given new replacement by Bosch under warranty.
As I said in above comment I was planning to replace my stock horn and today it went kaput while going out to attend a function after office hours. Tried the Bosch mini horn which was easy to install but rejected as it sounded same like the "bleat" of my stock horn. So went for a pair of Bosch symphony fanfare (skoda/VW tone), got it installed without a relay as I was in a hurry. The horn is sounding loud enough, may be a bit more louder than what I was looking for. It is rated 5A and my horn fuse is 10A (I know its rated high considering the peak power draw conditions, but still), I think my wiring and horn switch will withstand the power draw of the new horn. so should I go for relay or leave it as it is ?.

P.S: There are "Air horns prohibited" boards near some schools, hospitals etc. I think these windtone type horns are nothing but air horns. So am I supposed to use it in such places?.

Last edited:

Top Bottom