Which Diesel Hatchback. Usage 50 Kms Per Day.

Thread Starter #16
Sorry friends, I was travelling due to which could not respond rearlier.

Firstly, let me thanks everyone for quickly spending the time and providing such valuable inputs.

My basic requirement is VFM. I am spending a lot on Petrol wth my Dzire VXI and am looking at saving some fuel cost. Since I will be travelling alone most of the time, do not need a big car.

My view on the cars as below from friends and relatives, not sure how true they are:-

Tata: Poor after sale service. The cars run good only for 2-3 years
Beat: Can't trust Chevy as they could also like Daewoo leave the customers in between and run away
Ford: Too low a car as I am used to driving a Dzire which is high from the road.
Swift Diesel: Little expensive but I like the car, tested and still has a long waiting period. Looks good with the new model and nice new color.
Ritz: Guest it is the same engine as swift but my family does not liek the loks of the car. We will need to see the new facelift version though.

Kids are in the middle of their exams so do not want to spend a lot of time in doing the TD od the cars or talk about it and it diverts them :-).

Waiting for Quanto launch tomorrow to see its pricing and reviews. Who does not like to get a nice looking/ latest / 4 weel look of a car if it fits the budget.

I will surely go through the provided link in this thread and take inputs.

Once again, thank you all. Will wait for the inputs from all of you.

Best regards

Thread Starter #17
> Budget: 5 L

> New or Used: New

> Location: Delhi

> Top Five Priorities: FE, easy to drive, not tool low (like ford figo)

> Monthly Running: 1200 km

> Type of Fuel: Diesel

> For What Purpose: Regular city Use, office commune

> Seating Capacity: 4

> Type of Segment: hatch

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Chevy will stay in india for long so don't worry they won't abandon all the customers.

In 5 lakhs you can get ritz, beat and figo. Beat's power is not that good. I don't know about figo's mileage. Why do you say it's low? How much figo gives?

Ritz. Well i like handling better than the swift. It's compact and a good hatch. So i'll say go for ritz. You'll get ldi model mear 5.5 lakhs. This is the base model.

And yeah don't buy in a hurry. Consider all options.

Raj, I have a Chevy Spark which I bought in 2008. Just after that GM went bankrupt in the US. However in India it actually flourished. I can vouch from my experience that Beat would not be costly to run (at least in the initial 3 years due to their maintainence offer) and GM will not close shop as Daewoo did.
Said that, Beat might not be the best handling car (or powerful) in the segment however its ground clearance is the highest (185 mm) and the engine is frugal (so mileage is good).
With respect to resale value; considering that since you are going for a diesel you would keep it for atleast 5-7 years. Most cars would return you the same more or less after 7 years. Maruti cars might be a little high, however by not that much in practical terms.
For e.g. in Kolkata Beat diesel LT (fully loaded -- auto ac, music system etc.) on road price is ~Rs. 5.65 L. Ritz Vdi (i.e without Music system, manual ac) is ~Rs. 6.36 L.
Hence when you are selling it after 5/7 years, expect the same difference in the resale value.
My point is TD all the cars in the segment and then take a informed decision. I am not a big fan of the Beat, just citing here as an example as I have the numbers ready at hand.

> Budget: 5 L

> New or Used: New

> Location: Delhi

> Top Five Priorities: FE, easy to drive, not tool low (like ford figo)

> Monthly Running: 1200 km

> Type of Fuel: Diesel

> For What Purpose: Regular city Use, office commune

> Seating Capacity: 4

> Type of Segment: hatch
Since you do not want a Figo TDCi, I would say Ritz DDiS would be the next best buy considering your budget. If you want a high seating position to the driver seat it would be Ritz that would be good.
Even though you have said that you don't want a Figo, I would suggest you to test drive it once before making the final choice.

Thread Starter #21
Friends: Thanks for all the inputs.

My update as of now:
See the Quanto. Looks wise good, but have read a few review about the weight of the car to be very heavy. Also the base version will need a lot of money to be spent to get the baiscs and the car would cost much more. Also some friends advised not to buy a Mahindra or Tata car at the time of launch and wait for someone to get it going. So have dropped the idea of buying a quanto as of now.

The 2 cars I have in mind now are: i) Beat diesel ii) Swift Diesel

Looks: Swift looks better than beat
Popularity: Swift gains point on this
Company Reputation in India: swift score on that

I keep my car for long and is not the types who quickly change cars. Considering, I will have to pay much extra for swift due the reasons mentioned above, I would like some opinion if it is really worth spending that extra money or not.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Here are the price comparison for the cars in consideration:

Chevrolet Beat PS Diesel : Rs. 4,60,854

Maruti Suzuki Swift LDi : Rs. 5,64,865

Maruti Suzuki Ritz Ldi BS-IV : Rs. 5,29,199

Maruti Suzuki Ritz 2012 Ldi BS-IV : Rs. 5,43,617

For Swift base version you are almost paying a lakh more than beat base version. Choice is yours. But if want to go for swift than I would recommend you to go for Ritz. Same engine, same reliability and same A$$ and same brand.[:D] . Choice is yours.

Friends: Thanks for all the inputs.

My update as of now:
See the Quanto. Looks wise good, but have read a few review about the weight of the car to be very heavy. Also the base version will need a lot of money to be spent to get the baiscs and the car would cost much more. Also some friends advised not to buy a Mahindra or Tata car at the time of launch and wait for someone to get it going. So have dropped the idea of buying a quanto as of now.

The 2 cars I have in mind now are: i) Beat diesel ii) Swift Diesel

Looks: Swift looks better than beat
Popularity: Swift gains point on this
Company Reputation in India: swift score on that

I keep my car for long and is not the types who quickly change cars. Considering, I will have to pay much extra for swift due the reasons mentioned above, I would like some opinion if it is really worth spending that extra money or not.

Please suggest.

Thanks
Since you own a dzire , I would suggest you to opt for a change and go for Ritz diesel and if you have an extendable budget Ritz's ZDi variant would be the best.
I would also suggest you to have a look at Punto diesel also before making your final choice !

Last edited:
I agree with Dharmesh. Swift is a segment higher than the Beat. You can compare the Beat diesel with Ritz diesel. However some people might not like the tailgate design of the Ritz, but in all other criteria, it is as good as the Swift.

I suggest you TD all the cars and then decide. If you are going to do mostly city driving, then Beat makes perfect sense - better FE, top end fully loaded. You will not have to spend a single dime on accessories.

With Ritz or Swift at the same price point, you will get the LDi version which has many basic features missing and hence extra cost to accessorize.

Swift/ Ritz- advantage are powerful engine, decent FE and faster resale.
Beat - advantage are frugal engine, great FE and gadgets included

Swift, Ritz and the Beat diesel engines are all derived from the Fiat MJ Diesel engine so should offer years of service. Beat has a 3 cylinder one (4 in the others) hence lesser power but greater FE.

I agree with Dharmesh. Swift is a segment higher than the Beat. You can compare the Beat diesel with Ritz diesel. However some people might not like the tailgate design of the Ritz, but in all other criteria, it is as good as the Swift.
+1 Chayan.
Ritz is called a 'practical swift' [:)]
Swift, Ritz and the Beat diesel engines are all derived from the Fiat MJ Diesel engine so should offer years of service. Beat has a 3 cylinder one (4 in the others) hence lesser power but greater FE.
Is it the same Fiat MJD engine that is powering the Beat ? I don't think so. Its some TDCi engine or something that is powering Beat !

Last edited:
Is it the same Fiat MJD engine that is powering the Beat ? I don't think so. Its some TDCi engine or something that is powering Beat !
Not the same one obviously. As I said Beat has a three-cylinder version of the 1.3-litre Fiat Multijet motor making it a 937cc engine. It has been developed by both GM Tech India and GM Powertrain Europe specifically for India.

GM got access to the Multijet dtechnology as it helped co-develop it with Fiat over a decade ago when GM owned a significant stake in Fiat. Due to this they don't have to pay royalty to Fiat, whereas the others have to (pretty smart).

Ritz is a really good car and VFM if ur ok with the looks that is.As u are running a Dzire im sure you must be more than satisfied with Maruti A.S.S

If you could extend your budget by about half a lac you can get the Polo which is my favourite hatch.You can pickup the Trendline variant,though void off features,will give you the Ride,comfort,handling and strong built which neither Beat/Figo/Ritz can ever give you.

The Grande Punto was a good option,but if i were you i wudnt go for it,given their breakup with TATA now and their going solo here in India.Also as an ex-owner of Palio i wouldnt recommend their A.S.S

There are many other options mate which you left out, thinking out of the box:

Go for a Top end model and negotiate for discounts on the cars told below, they are new and the ASS listens to customer, being said that your Budget is 5L do not push it to swift and punto as they are more costlier and going for a base model you would still have additional expenses on ICE set up the prices have gone up very recently for the diesel version of swift

The options i would suggest you

Nissan MICRA Diesel
Toyota LIVA Diesel

If you are going a bit more than your budget then you can get into sedan class too

Verito
Manza

When you go for the top end model you get all the ICE set up with in and you can negotiate on discounts and seal a good deal, never be in a hurry when you negotiate

If you are quite specific on Maruti i would tell you to go to the showroom to book swift and the marketing guy might try to push you to the Ritz, stick confidently to your decission and slowly he would tell all the available discounts and add ons for the all new ritz, slowly start showing marginal interest and convey a indirect message to him ( if there are good discounts you might go for ritz)

My friend had availed a whopping discount of more than 40k on Ritz LDI

15K their seasonal discount ( this was just to promote Ritz whatsoever, didn't know the reason and didn't even want to know it)
5k for corprate discount
Free insurance worth 14K
Accesories, mud flaps and wheel covers

It was somewhere close to 43K which he managed, he rejected sunfilms and took the Teflon coating too

His final price OTR was 5.2L and this was taken in hosur and not bangalore (there is a huge tax variation of almost 35K within)

40k discount on diesel model sounds impossible
I checked out few show rooms and none of willing to discount on diesel models other than corporate discounts

Top Bottom