Which Child Car Seat?

I am planning to buy a Baby/Child car seat for my 3 month old daughter.
Please provide your sugegstions.
Have been thru the same process, and I have just one suggestion. Don't buy it now!!
Let me tell you why ... at three months of age, what you will need is an infant seat. That is normally usable up to the age of 6 months only. This is typically for use for a baby who is not able to sit up on his/her own, and is of particular use to mothers (and yes, sometimes fathers) who have to travel in a car alone with the baby. Typically, these seats are capable of being fitted on the front seat (rearward facing).
In most Indian contexts, the number of times that a single parent will be travelling with a 3~6 month old baby is very very low. If this is the specific case that you have, then by all means go ahead and buy the seat.
My suggestion is that you wait till the baby is six months old, and is sitting up on her own. You can then buy a seat which is usable from 6~18 months, and with a stretch, even some more time.
The advantage with such a seat is that it will have a longer life, and also, the increased height would mean that the baby can see out of the window too, and they like that.
Till such time, it is best that one parent (or anyone!!) sits with the baby in the back seat, where it will be safest.
Re manufacturers, I am sure there are many, but the fact is that the good ones are still the ones that are imported, I used seats from a company called snugseats. A visit to a Shopper's Stop or any decent store can give you some choice. If of course you have someone coming from abroad, you can get them to bring you one, since the choices are much larger abroad.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for suggestion Aditya.

Currently baby travells mostly on mother's lap or so, which i understand is pretty dangerous.
What i am thinking to take is some seat which can work from now till say 2 years old, something like FIRST CLASS PLUS - Car Seats - BRITAX. I think this will work, as you mentioned, rear faced as well as front face, after few months.
I will be visiting some shops on weekends and see if i can find some good seat.

Thanks for suggestion Aditya.

Currently baby travells mostly on mother's lap or so, which i understand is pretty dangerous.
What i am thinking to take is some seat which can work from now till say 2 years old, something like FIRST CLASS PLUS - Car Seats - BRITAX. I think this will work, as you mentioned, rear faced as well as front face, after few months.
I will be visiting some shops on weekends and see if i can find some good seat.
My research indicated that there are no seats which cater to that large an age bracket.
Once the baby starts sitting up, it is a different configuration.
But this seat looks like a good option!!
Travelling on a mother's lap can be made safer if you ensure that the mother and child is always on the back seat, and the mother belts up under the baby.

Last edited:
If those seats dont cost a bomb then going for one is a good deal since it is for safety and convenience of your wife and baby, no matter if its of no use after some months.
OT: you didnt inform us of your new member(baby). Or maybe i didnt know because of being inactive on forum). Anyways congrats for your baby.

Thread Starter #6
My research indicated that there are no seats which cater to that large an age bracket.
Once the baby starts sitting up, it is a different configuration.
But this seat looks like a good option!!
Aditya, the seat i mentioned is from new born to 18KG, so it should be about 2 years age. I think that should fulfill my requirement.
Travelling on a mother's lap can be made safer if you ensure that the mother and child is always on the back seat, and the mother belts up under the baby.
No this conception is wrong. The baby sitting on lap is most dangerous (same thing mentioned in manual also). However strong you are, if the baby is on your lap, he/she is bound to br affected in case of any accident.
But you are right, back seat is safer.

If those seats dont cost a bomb then going for one is a good deal since it is for safety and convenience of your wife and baby, no matter if its of no use after some months.
It will cost apprx. 11K, but i am willing to pay for my baby's safety.

OT: you didnt inform us of your new member(baby). Or maybe i didnt know because of being inactive on forum). Anyways congrats for your baby.
And i did inform, on Off Topic discusion, in Feb. You might have missed.

So it costs 11k. It isnt very expensive at the same time not cheap also but considering its utility i think it is better to go for one.

No this conception is wrong. The baby sitting on lap is most dangerous (same thing mentioned in manual also). However strong you are, if the baby is on your lap, he/she is bound to br affected in case of any accident.
But you are right, back seat is safer.
Injury can occur when the baby is on the lap if the baby is caught between the passenger and the instrument panel / the seat in front ... which is why I specified that the person holding the baby should be belted UNDER the baby.

But yes, nothing to beat the safety of a child seat.

One other point though, at 11K for a combined / adjustable seat, will it not make sense to check out the price of two DIFFERENT child seats, one for the infant, and one for a slightly more grown one?? Pretty good seats in both these types are available around 5~6K.

Thread Starter #10
One other point though, at 11K for a combined / adjustable seat, will it not make sense to check out the price of two DIFFERENT child seats, one for the infant, and one for a slightly more grown one?? Pretty good seats in both these types are available around 5~6K.
Yes, this is also an option. Will check it.

@RSM, Are there any britax outlets in Bangalore? How did you get to know the price tag of 11K?

If not this, which are the places we can visit to have a look at some good quality child seats?

Thread Starter #12
I visited sometime back to Mothercare store at Indiranagar. This price is from there. That time i didn't buy.
I regularly visit to a shop in JP Nagar 3rd phase. Also i heard of one store in Ulsoor is good, not sure though.

I visited sometime back to Mothercare store at Indiranagar. This price is from there. That time i didn't buy.
I regularly visit to a shop in JP Nagar 3rd phase. Also i heard of one store in Ulsoor is good, not sure though.
Name of the store in J P Nagar please. This is close to my house but ya we can go any distance for this purpose.

Thread Starter #14
I don't remember exact name (some baby shop). If you are going from Banerghatta road, take turn at JP Nagar 3rd phase bus stop. Go for about a km, its on right side. Only one shop is there, and its big, so you won't miss it.

Top Bottom