Which Car? Brio SMT vs Swift VXi

Thread Starter #1
I am confused about which to buy. Brio SMT or Swift VXi. Did a test drive of both and both were great drives. With Swift being amazing to handle and very refined and Brio felt like a peppy machine ready to zip through the road with its super refined engine.

Brio turns out around 55k cheaper here in Bangalore and I am not sure Swift is really worth the premium. (Add an additional amount to fit a music system to the VXi). Swift impressed me with its fuller cabin with good quality interiors while Brio wasn't too far behind. Actually I found Brio's interiors cheery while Swift had a more mature look.

The car is primarily for my usage (and I being single), so I don't care much about rear bench space and comfort. Anyway both looked well matched here too. What makes me lean to Brio is its youthfulness, Honda reliability and uniqueness in road and Swift, its awesome drive, fuller behaviour and amazing resale value.

Any suggestions to lessen the dilemma? Is Swift worth the extra considering I get more(feature-wise) for lesser money with Brio.

Re: What Car? Brio SMT vs Swift VXi

Welcome to TAI viktor,
I suggest you to go for Brio S(O)MT if your budget allows. It would get you all the features except alloy wheels and fog lamps. Most importantly you will get ABS and Airbags.
Maruti Swift VXi would be a good car. It would be easy to maintain and it would fetch you good returns when it comes to resale value.
+points for Maruti Swift are
1) Resale value
2)Maruti After Sales Service
Honda Brio S(O)MT
1)I-VTec engine
2)ABS and airbags
3) Hondas reliability
It you are considering Brio SMT , its better to opt for Swift.
Brio S(O)MT really makes sense and its a VFM offering from Honda.

350Z

Core Team

Welcome to The Automotive India. Suzuki Swift is a segment above than Brio so it sure feels much bigger and mature. However from a viewpoint of an individual who's running is more or less within in the cities, I'd pick Honda Brio. Also, Please elaborate on the requirements and budget which would help us so suggest accordingly.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Welcome to The Automotive India. Suzuki Swift is a segment above than Brio so it sure feels much bigger and mature. However from a viewpoint of an individual who's running is more or less within in the cities, I'd pick Honda Brio. Also, Please elaborate on the requirements and budget which would help us so suggest accordingly.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Iam sorry 350z I tend to disagree with you brio and swift are from the same segment . Swift is bigger from outside but the space is similar in brio too , and in brio cabin feels more airy and fresh . And brio is more fun to drive it is amazingly fast and chuck able too . Given both are petrol I don't think resale value will be different it wil be same.

My pick brio smt because you get better features and most imp swift is too common there is no exclusively in swift anymore.

Thread Starter #5

Thanks for the replies!

My budget is up-to 6 lakhs. Brio S(O)MT will cost 6.17 on road (Bangalore road tax.. sigh!) and so it is a bit outside my budget. Either ways I do understand ABS and airbags are useful, but I do not wish to spend too much on a car right now. 6+ for a hatchback looks a bit high to me, but if it is really a great offering I can consider it. Also my primary driving is in Bangalore city to commute to office, so these features won't add much usefulness I guess (I maybe wrong). Would it? I am bit concerned about my constant budget overshoots.

As for basic requirements all I essentially insist on is 4 power windows, central locking and a spirited and easy drive ( bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore is crazy). I am not sure how long I will be in Bangalore but considering the insane used car prices here, I began looking for a new one.

Has anybody heard of any niggles in Brio, as it is a new one hardly found much reports on it- though my friend who has one talked about some rattling near the dials.

Brio has no problems. I say this because I own one. For driving and parking in a city like Bangalore, I think Brio would be better than the Swift because of its smaller dimensions and flatter external design. As far as your idea about resale value is concerned, rest assured a Honda would hold its value as well, if not better than a Swift. The S (MT) is more value than the Swift VXi as the former comes with a reasonably good OEM audio system while the VXi doesn't come with one. The Swift is delightful to drive and so is the Honda. The Swift will fare better on Bangalore's atrocious potholes as it has a more complaint suspension. Honda spares would be costlier than Maruti's but let's face it, both cars would hardly require to visit the workshop apart from regular service. Take a long test drive of both cars and then decide.

P.s. Your contention about ABS and Airbags not being of much worth as your commute is very short is absolutely incorrect. It is better to spend an additional Rs.40000-50000 on safety features than to spend many more times that on nursing broken bones, shattered skulls, fractured ribs, and bursted spleen. Please go for ABS and Aribags. Period.

Thanks for the replies!

My budget is up-to 6 lakhs. Brio S(O)MT will cost 6.17 on road (Bangalore road tax.. sigh!) and so it is a bit outside my budget. Either ways I do understand ABS and airbags are useful, but I do not wish to spend too much on a car right now. 6+ for a hatchback looks a bit high to me, but if it is really a great offering I can consider it. Also my primary driving is in Bangalore city to commute to office, so these features won't add much usefulness I guess (I maybe wrong). Would it? I am bit concerned about my constant budget overshoots.

As for basic requirements all I essentially insist on is 4 power windows, central locking and a spirited and easy drive ( bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore is crazy). I am not sure how long I will be in Bangalore but considering the insane used car prices here, I began looking for a new one.

Has anybody heard of any niggles in Brio, as it is a new one hardly found much reports on it- though my friend who has one talked about some rattling near the dials.
You might drive perfectly but what if some moron comes and dashes you ? That's when airbags ,abs might help . What will be daily running btw ? Have you checked the price of figo and beat ?

Thread Starter #8

I haven't given much thought about Beat (having a Opel back at home and not very enthused about another one - poor servicing and incredibly low resale value)
I have tried contacting Ford a couple of times but for some reason they haven't shown any interest in arranging a test drive for me. Anyway the reviews of Figo petrol looked middling (my running is ~ 1000km pm , so no diesel)? I will probably visit their showroom this weekend for just the heck of it.

I haven't given much thought about Beat (having a Opel back at home and not very enthused about another one - poor servicing and incredibly low resale value)
I have tried contacting Ford a couple of times but for some reason they haven't shown any interest in arranging a test drive for me. Anyway the reviews of Figo petrol looked middling (my running is ~ 1000km pm , so no diesel)? I will probably visit their showroom this weekend for just the heck of it.
Not trying to confuse you but petrol prices are going to shoot up so take that in consideration too . Nissan micRa if you like us a good option and u get abs,airbags standard in petrol model. And it's a trouble free car. I would advise 1 day just go and take test drives of all cars back to back with your family and if nothing excites you close the deal on brio [:)]

Thread Starter #11
I have decided on Brio S(O) MT [:)]
What would be a good colour on it? I liked Urban Titanium as it is somewhat a rare colour. I know it is a personal thingy but am confused if this colour would rob Brio of its nippy hatch look with a sedate and serious colour like UT. Any thoughts? Would red become tiresome in some days or should I play safe and elegant?

What would be a good colour on it? I liked Urban Titanium as it is somewhat a rare colour. I know it is a personal thingy but am confused if this colour would rob Brio of its nippy hatch look with a sedate and serious colour like UT. Any thoughts? Would red become tiresome in some days or should I play safe and elegant?
UT is unique but its quite common on the Brio. But it does look good in it.
Red is great and so is blue. Between the three UT would look more serious but I think red and blue will suit the brios character more !!

All colours will lose gloss after some time. No need to ignore red just because of that.

Do check Abaster Silver. I have seen a Brio in that color. I personally liked Brio in that color. Positive of Abaster Silver is that it would be easy to maintain, small scratches would not be visible, dust would also be invisible to some extent.
Anyway Congrats For choosing Honda Brio ![clap]

Congrats for your selection. Just one point I'd like to add here is that reversing in the Brio is the easiest amongst all cars, period! The large hatch at the rear makes tight parking butter smooth....just fyi from a brio owner

Thread Starter #15
I should be guilty for this much confusion, having seen all the colours in person.
Yes silver was great but is a little common nowadays and I have a silver car at home; so something different would be nice.
looks like UT vs Red for me. [confused]

Top Bottom