What's Your Average Driving / Riding Time Per Day?

What's Your Average Driving / Riding Time Per Day?

• < 30 Minutes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • < 2 Hours

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • < 4 Hours

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • > 4 Hours

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

In this particular thread, let's get to know how much time on an average do we spend driving / riding on roads per day. Also, do you feel tired after driving for a specific period of time? How do you tackle the driving / riding fatigue? Lets have the views and suggestions of you all!

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member
@Akash1886

Just my 2 cents.
Maybe you can reword the vote as
<30min
< 2 hours
< 4 hours
> 4 hours

This way you can cover the gaps compared to the earlier voting options
Thanks buddy, but I think there is no option to edit the polling.

Regards

Akash

College used to be from Dwarka to Noida and back so that meant cutting through most of Delhi to reach the other place. This also meant that early morning for the 9 am class, I used to leave home at 7:15. :( It used to take 50 mins or so. On the way back, if I leave college before 5 pm, then I shall be home by 6 or so which means roughly hour- hour and 10 mins drive which makes it a combined total of 2 hours or so daily 5 days a week.

Yes there have been the odd cases where it took me 3.5 hours to get home on a rainy, friday evening. It is highly frustrating and can really sap a lot of energy out of a person. Life might be easier in an automatic vehicle.

Now: Office is in Gurgaon. So daily drive is Dwarka-Gurgaon-Dwarka. Now it might seem nearer than Noida but I almost end up on the roads for the same time each day, sometime more. Home to Office takes around 1hr or on a good day 45 mins in the morning. Evening, depending on when I get free, it takes me 45 mins to 1 hr 15 mins. So again I am roughly 2 hours or more on the road daily 5 days a week.

This becomes really tiring after a point and it really affects:
- productivity at work
- mood at home
- social life
- joints (due to constant clutch and brake usage)

I know I might sound like a noob because I am complaining and that there are people doing this since ages and not complaining but just putting down my concerns.

And I think destiny does not want me to have a short commute ever in my life. :P But this means I do get to see fascinating stuff and incidents on the road. :)

Do I feel tired after driving for a specific period of time?
No. The reason being I am used to it. Commute time >1hr one way has more or less become the norm. But I wish I cut down the time

But there are collateral effects
1. I have to make choices between professional and social life.
This can go two ways actually. My professional and social lives are completely separate. So, I dont see the same faces, no office work creeping into personal space. No peer pressure from office folks (which I see a lot)
I have to be much much more productive than my colleagues since I have much lesser time to do the same work.
It eventually boils down to extremely effective time management and I am still working on it

2. Commute costs are slightly on the higher side, so I am always forced to buy diesel cars.

3. I have to take higher proportion of leaves than others esp. when the commute time is a comparable to the hours I spend in office

4. Either start very early to office (around 7) or start very late (post 12). Same goes for return (before 3 in the afternoon or post 10 in the night). This can and will affect family time.
But then you get to drive on relatively empty roads which actually makes driving quite a pleasure. Night drives are especially stress busting.

5. Just gives me time to be on my own esp. with demands both on family and professional end. Its my fortress of solitude

6. It has taught me to be patient. I am more patient with people around me.

How do I tackle road fatigue? Or generally, the long commute time

1. Take leaves in the middle of the week just to give rest to my knees

2. Read on mobile phone when stuck at signals or choc-a-block traffic. I have read a lot of interesting things when on commute.

3. Take longer but less travelled roads just to reduce the stress or enjoy the drive. I know it costs money and time but sometimes it is worth it

Distance: My residence is within 7 to 10 minutes of drive from office. So, I drive less than 30 minutes per day, on an average.

Tackling driving related fatigue:
No fatigue on a normal day, due to the very short distance. If I have to drive longer within Bangalore, "Music and chit-chatting with the fellow-passenger(s)" is handy to tackle fatigue. I avoid taking calls in such drives. If GoogleMap shows dense traffic or if the destination is congested, I take "App based Taxis" (or of late BMTC Bus), depending on available time. Much simpler and "no need to search for parking space".

Last edited:
Daily distance & time : I usually travel under 4 kms(Bangalore),so distance is under 4 kms & takes me between 10 to 20 mins,so both ways 20 to 40 mins, but mite change in future.

Driving related fatigue : If above 2 hours my left leg or lower back will hurt, so i stop for atleast a 2 mins breather if the journey has an hour odd more to go, i try avoiding road rage & rash driving.

Time management & smart planning : If its a new route or place i am travelling to then i look up the map on my computer & then migrate to the phone when i have familiarized myself.

If its a parcel that has to be delivery for example to a far off high traffic area i request the person to be awake early like 6:30 AM so my commute is 40 mins both ways instead of 2 hours. Above 10:00 PM also works as traffic gets lighter by the minute.

If its a far commute with lots of traffic that i must visit during working hours ,then i try commuting to & fro between 11:00 AM & 3:00 PM when traffic is light.

For long journeys when leaving city i leave before 5:30 AM, I try to make it back into the city by 8:00 AM otherwise the city traffic will add alot of fatigue after the long journey.

On an average I drive about an hour and half everyday. I don't feel tired while driving but do feel tired at the end of the day, which can't be attributed to driving alone. On occasions when I have to drive more than 3 hours, I take a break of 10-15 minutes usually at Kumbakkonam filter Coffee shops - that reduces fatigue and stress [:)]

I have around 1 hour drive, 20-25 minutes to office in the morning and around half an hour evening back from office. Total distance around 15-16 kms (7.5-8 kms each way) depending on route taken. In the evening sometimes I get caught in heavy traffic and it takes around 40-45 minutes. I take a different route for morning and evening.

Last edited:

Top Bottom